Sponsored

Ecoboost PP or GT Base

Stangl1fe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
lol @ thinking chicks give two fucks about engine size. Unless their obese redneck chicks, girls could care less as long as the car looks pretty.

The only people who will care are other dudes; most of which don't drive v8s or drive a slower v8 than EB
This^ don't make your decision for other people. No-one will ultimately give a crap because Ford sells a ton of Mustangs and it must be the most popular rental car these days.

With that said OP asked about opinions about which model to get. Unfortunately for the dick size joke EB crowd some don't share the same opinion about what constitutes a mustang.

I have owned 5 mustangs at this point. A 99' V6 when I was just learning to drive. A 2004 GT once the V8 bug bit me, a 2013 v6 when Ford put out the 30mpg 300hp 3.7, within less than a month I traded for the GT, because v6 torque, turbo torque w/ lag, and nothing else that Ford offers delivers the same experience as driving a large engine RWD car.

Other people can get mad and say what they want about my penis (which is gay), but I would never buy anything but a GT after owning other options. In my opinion it is GT or go home.
Sponsored

spireland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Former 2015 EB Premium PP
This^ don't make your decision for other people. No-one will ultimately give a crap because Ford sells a ton of Mustangs and it must be the most popular rental car these days.

With that said OP asked about opinions about which model to get. Unfortunately for the dick size joke EB crowd some don't share the same opinion about what constitutes a mustang.

I have owned 5 mustangs at this point. A 99' V6 when I was just learning to drive. A 2004 GT once the V8 bug bit me, a 2013 v6 when Ford put out the 30mpg 300hp 3.7, within less than a month I traded for the GT, because v6 torque, turbo torque w/ lag, and nothing else that Ford offers delivers the same experience as driving a large engine RWD car.

Other people can get mad and say what they want about my penis (which is gay), but I would never buy anything but a GT after owning other options. In my opinion it is GT or go home.
I went home. With an ecoboost.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
This EB thread is more fun than the last. We got EB bashing. Fat chic Bashing. Redneck bashing. This whole thing is pretty silly.:lol:

Stangl1fe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I went home. With an ecoboost.
OP in case your original post was asking what spire land went with.:frusty:

Something no one has mentioned is if you try to smash the gas from a high gear with the ECOboob (trying to catch a GT maybe) you could blow your engine up like this guy in the link below. Also turbo is going to be more finicky and require premium fuel (I think)

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47330

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
There's no right answer. Both power plants have their use case. In theory, the EB will have aftermarket tuning support to significantly up the boost (and power/torque) with a simple ECU flash. I'm waiting for the 3.5L ecoboost to be available in the Mustang. A relatively mild factory tune on that puppy gets you 365hp and 420ft/lbs. I would expect a good tune to add about 15-20% to that with just software. That would put it on par with the coyote for HP and have significantly more torque. Good times. :)

I don't put much stock in the internet wisdom of people lugging their EB and blowing it. A design flaw that glaring wouldn't make it into production. There's got to be some other more plausible explanation.

Best,

Sponsored

Stangl1fe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
There's no right answer. Both power plants have their use case. In theory, the EB will have aftermarket tuning support to significantly up the boost (and power/torque) with a simple ECU flash. I'm waiting for the 3.5L ecoboost to be available in the Mustang. A relatively mild factory tune on that puppy gets you 365hp and 420ft/lbs. I would expect a good tune to add about 15-20% to that with just software. That would put it on par with the coyote for HP and have significantly more torque. Good times. :)

I don't put much stock in the internet wisdom of people lugging their EB and blowing it. A design flaw that glaring wouldn't make it into production. There's got to be some other more plausible explanation.

Best,
Touche' on the future of EcoBoost. I think it has potential down the road. Just to early for me to have any skin in the game. Also, to be honest my buddy has a ST focus and it handles twice as good as my mustang just due to it's geometry. If I ever went the boosted route I probably wouldn't do it in a "Muscle Car" techy as they are today. I would rather shed some weight and pickup two more doors.

I see you bought a GT as well:amen:

grue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Base GT + PP1
to MATT1971 - take your car to the track it'll put a big smile on your face i'm sure! plus with cobb tuning just do it if you want more power/pull. i had a cobb tune and exhaust on my old wrx (stock IC) and it made a huge difference! - just trying to encourage you.

to AR306 - sorry to hear about your limp mode problems. once you get that reliability bug it's almost impossible to get over it especially if you're still having issues.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
This was one of the many reasons I chose the V6 over the EB. High HP, low displacement, DI, LSPI, limp mode, boost problems (reminded me too much of my Audi A4 2.0T) and of course the way it sounded when I drove it just didn't sit well with me.

Both the V6 and the EB where very closely priced. Base EB vs 051A V6, so I decided on the six and haven't looked back.

Go with the GT Base, and upgrade susp when you come accross some more funds in the future.
The GT has always been my ideal car.. but I originally planned on getting a V6 S550.. then, after hearing everyone talk about how the V6 is the rental special and the EB will be the enthusiast choice, I kind of got sucked into it and thought I'd go all out with FMIC, Tune, and eventually a turbo swap etc etc.. I quickly changed that thought once my car went into limp mode completely stock.. then did it several more times. Not to mention it's not as fast as everyone said it would be (0-60 in 5.5 my ass) and in my experience it's using almost twice as much gas as advertise.. (21mpg city? LOL.. more like 12.)

Yeah.. I definitely regret getting this thing. I could of gotten a 051a V6 Manual, saved myself $4k-5k and would of been way happier... Now I'm thinking either wait 2 years and see if a GT is feasible which it may not be (damn insurance) or trade this thing in 1 year for a new V6... or just wait till the refresh and see what's new.. Lol.

thxultra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost, 2016 Mercedes C300
The GT has always been my ideal car.. but I originally planned on getting a V6 S550.. then, after hearing everyone talk about how the V6 is the rental special and the EB will be the enthusiast choice, I kind of got sucked into it and thought I'd go all out with FMIC, Tune, and eventually a turbo swap etc etc.. I quickly changed that thought once my car went into limp mode completely stock.. then did it several more times. Not to mention it's not as fast as everyone said it would be (0-60 in 5.5 my ass) and in my experience it's using almost twice as much gas as advertise.. (21mpg city? LOL.. more like 12.)

Yeah.. I definitely regret getting this thing. I could of gotten a 051a V6 Manual, saved myself $4k-5k and would of been way happier... Now I'm thinking either wait 2 years and see if a GT is feasible which it may not be (damn insurance) or trade this thing in 1 year for a new V6... or just wait till the refresh and see what's new.. Lol.
Something has to be wrong with your car. Have you taken it to be looked at. I am getting well over 21mpg doing all city driving on my ecoboost. Sounds like you got a lemon to me. Have heard of blown engines though so sounds like ford may have some quality control issues.

andrewr164

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem
I look at it this way, if you just want a great handling car the Eco boost with performance package will handle better than a base GT stock vs stock. But if you plan on wanting to go fast, the GT with a power adder will not be beat by the Eco boost. :cheers:

Sponsored

andrew.k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Fastback, Magnetic, 051A, MT, 3.55
Ahh the old rental car jokes, doesn't bother me at all. In fact, if rental companies are using them, to me its a GOOD sign not bad, proves reliability. After building a stage 3 A4 with GT2871R, the boost bug is long gone, and reliability while retaining "sportiness" has set in.

Perhaps I am just getting old, but is it bad to say that I would of paid more for the base V6 over the base EB. :cool: