Sponsored

Does your Mustang's seat lumbar support suck?

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I noticed it at some point on a long (round the country trip) taken not too long after I bought it. It killed my back, still does -- although I basically got to where I was ignoring it because I'm commuting in it (which just means I forget why my back hurts lol). I had them warranty repair the lumbar a couple years ago and it basically came back "less bad" but still sucking ... or so I thought, after moving the seat from it's one "meh" position now I feel it again. Doesn't get better over time (has 22K on it now). The passenger seat is fine so might try disconnecting the lumbar, otherwise it's getting traded very soon for something else.
I have disabled the lumbar and it helped a little. I found the biggest contributor to my back pain (it hurt my back since day 1) was the seat position and angle. I preferred to be lower in the car, however, when you lower the seat, the rear of the seat bottom goes down at a progressively increasing rate, relative to the front of the seat bottom, so you end up being at a very steep angle. I ended up raising my seat up to where my eyes are basically level with the rear view mirror and I noticed my back did not hurt as much. I went back to the lowered position for a 15 minute drive home one day and it hurt for the next 10 hours. I have since opened the seat bottom and added foam to try and both raise the seat bottom relative to the seat back, since that's where I thought was a factor too, and I've put about 3/8" of washers under the two rear seat mounts to try and raise it up so the angle isn't as bad. This seemed to be fine for months, but just starting last week my back has started to bother me a little more and I'm not sure why. Up until adding the foam and washers I was undecided about keeping the car, but then it wasn't bad, although I feel like I'm driving a 4x4 sitting so high, and decided I will keep it, but now with this latest re-occurrence I'm kind of unsure again. Maybe I'm more sure than I think because I've finally been looking at mods which I held off on before.

TLDR the seats are too soft, the seat angle gets too step down low, and the lumbar support is way too pronounced.
Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Cloth Recaros in my GT (and Recaros in my RS) give me all the support I need and are comfortable for long rides - Spring for Recaros - it's worth it.

RoushCharged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Ruby & Loaded
Cloth Recaros in my GT (and Recaros in my RS) give me all the support I need and are comfortable for long rides - Spring for Recaros - it's worth it.
Unfortunately looks like the Recaros for sale all say “warning -Does NOT fit convertibles” lol.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
I've had lower back surgery and the lumbar support is perfect. Better than the last 3 Mustangs I've owned.

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Mine works well for me but what I don't understand is why there is none on the passenger seat.

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Mine works well for me but what I don't understand is why there is none on the passenger seat.
Yeah, or why the seat back isn't electrically controlled but the seat bottom is.

blue350gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT PP
is there anyway to add lumbar support to the passanger side seat?
I am assuming the euro drivers seat has lumbar support, I may look to see if it is possible to add it on.

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I am assuming the euro drivers seat has lumbar support, I may look to see if it is possible to add it on.
Having been inside the seat back before and disabled the lumbar support, I'd say its probably doable for those who have the tools. All it is, is a throttle cable, fixed to one side, wrapped behind around the seat webbing, and in a capture mechanism on the other side, so when you "inflate" it, a motor pulls the throttle cable tight and it moves it from the rear of the seat towards the front (into your back).

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I wouldn't think it's possible to add but who knows? I discovered this on my maiden road trip. My traveling companion has a back problem and loves heated seats as it gives her relief. Somewhere in New Mexico she asked about lumbar and I said there should be a button just behind the power seat control. When she couldn't find it I thought "typical woman, can't find a power button" but I pulled off at the next exit, got out, and sonofabitch, no lumbar control. WTF?

I guess we should put passenger lumbar on the wish list with hood struts.

Sponsored

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
Mine works great.

RoushCharged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Ruby & Loaded
Mine works great too, I just hate it lol. Anyone installed the Recaros in a convertible?

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
The lumbar support in the driver's seat of my 2018 GT stopped working, and I doubt that it would be covered since I reupholstered the seats with the leather from a GT Premium.

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
The lumbar support in the driver's seat of my 2018 GT stopped working, and I doubt that it would be covered since I reupholstered the seats with the leather from a GT Premium.
I would think it would be covered. All it is is a motor. Motor would burn out regardless of cover.

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Old thread, but I'm still fighting lower back pain every day because of these seats. Anyone make any progress? I'm ready to get rid of it.

I've disabled the lumbar, added foam to the seat bottom, pulled the wire subframe out of the seat back, put spacers under the two rear seat mounts, and I still feel too much pressure on my lower back. I see Amazon has those backjoys with free returns so I'm going to try that next, although I have a decent amount of anterior pelvic tilt/lordosis (excessive curvature of the spine) and this seems like it might just make that worse. But I have nothing to lose.
Sponsored