Sponsored

Does your Mustang's seat lumbar support suck?

del101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
I've thought of that, but frankly can't stomach the idea of having one of those things in such a nice, new car.

Do they really have airbags IN the seats? Or are those "airbag" tags just there referring to side airbags in the doors?

Tried it today. I hate to say it, but it feels a lot better. Still not what it should be, but much much better. Now I'm going to experiment with different little pillows until either the seat breaks in or I do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
I don't have my car yet, so I can't speak to the comfort of the lumbar support. I would say you have to balance your desire for comfort against your dislike for the aesthetic look of a small pillow on your driver's seat. a personal choice, but one to consider.

Since this can be such a nagging issue (pun intended ;) ), it may well be worth going to a professional apolstery shop to get your seat checked out. I bet there's a good chance they could 1) move the lumbar up for you or 2) make some physical adjustment to the seat back so that it doesn't protrude as much. they do work with seats for a living :-)

If one or two hundred dollars of labor made you happy with your seat, would it be worth the cost? or you can try undoing the seat cover and sliding it off and seeing if you can make it work yourself. if you get in a pickle then you can go to the upholstery shop too :-)

AngryBeavers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 black gt
I am over 6 feet tall and the lumbar support is perectly centered in my lumbar region. There could be a difference between the premier trim seats, I have premier trim myself.
6'2 here. Fits me great!

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
Felt wierd. Tried it for a bit, back started to hurt so put it all the way back.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
If you change your OEM Lumbar (DIY or professional), please let us know

If you change your OEM Lumbar yourself or have an upholstery shop do it, please let us know. Either way, really try to get pictures of what the lumbar area looks w/o the seat cover on. Depending on what's in there this would be very valuable info for the many who desire to change their Lumbar support.

It may even give some clue to if the lumbar support on some cars may be at slightly different heights due to manufacturing discrepancies.

Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Can you measure the heeight of your Lumbar support?

It is not out of the realm of possibility that some 'are' at different heights.

I don't have my car, so I am no help here (yet).

I'm wondering if one of us 'engineering types' could maybe fully deploy the lumbar pad, then document a way that is most easily re-doable by others to measure the lumbar height?

It might be measuring the apex of the lumbar curve's distance from the seat bottom. It might be estimating bottom, apex and top of Lumbar?

A standard seat back tilt setting would need to be used (not necessarily the one you use) so measurement comparison would be meaningful. Like 'x' clicks from full forward or some other repeatable way.

I'll do this when I get my car in a few weeks as the lumbar support is important to me and I'd like to help others diagnose why their may or may not be. But if someone wants to start now, that would be cool. :thumbsup:

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad I got Recaros.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback

del101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Bought this at Bed Bath & Beyond. Lower back problems fixed and it doesn't look half bad.
0cae4fd82136ff436540cd9d299acb26.jpg

It's called a "backjoy" something or other.

Sponsored

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
Bought this at Bed Bath & Beyond. Lower back problems fixed and it doesn't look half bad.
0cae4fd82136ff436540cd9d299acb26.jpg

It's called a "backjoy" something or other.

How do you keep that from slipping all over? I can't see it supporting your back but more like your ass.

fredsmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
For those interested.

I spent an hour gaining access to the lumbar adjustment in the seat. This meant disconnecting two serial cables and gaining access through the upholstery in back.

There is a cable (similar to a throttle cable) connected to a small electric motor that increases and or decreases the tension on the lumbar.

I simply unhooked that cable on each side of the mounting point, which in turn completely reduced the tension that was resulting in the uncomfortable lumbar.

So thanks for the input. No new seat needed. The seat now functions similar to the passenger's side seat.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
The power lumbar support works well for me, but now that you mention it I suppose it could be a little higher up. Never really thought about it before reading this topic.

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I really love the seat in my base 15GT. I'm 6'2 ~240lbs and the seat is super comfortable.

DJinAC

More cars than brains
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DJ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Super Black Nissan Altima SL
These are the best seats I have had in a car. I traded out of a 16 MKZ because the seats were terrible on my 3 bad discs.
Sponsored