Sponsored

Does your Mustang's seat lumbar support suck?

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
it's been so long since I've sit in mine I have no idea.
Sponsored

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
I am over 6 feet tall and the lumbar support is perectly centered in my lumbar region. There could be a difference between the premier trim seats, I have premier trim myself.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
I am over 6 feet tall and the lumbar support is perectly centered in my lumbar region. There could be a difference between the premier trim seats, I have premier trim myself.

So do I, 50th Appearance Pkg has premier trim. Maybe some of us have the lumbar support installed incorrectly. My EcoBoost Premium PP has trunk, hood, doors, and bumpers all misaligned so it's definitely possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gzstang

Who's stang? It's gzstang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/performance pack
Vehicle Showcase
I keep it retracted, feels comfortable there. I do set my memory seat positions to different scenarios though...for example one setting for highway cruise, lower and further back...in town and spirited driving setting a little higher up and closer to the controls.

OP
OP

luxe_g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Guard 50th PP
How many miles do you have on your car?

Some of the issue may improve as the seat padding wears in. Originally I found it very uncomfortable, but as I reached 1000+ miles either I'd broken in the seat, or the seat had broken me in... I'm approaching 3000 miles now and I find the seat to be OK - although I can't put the lumber out too far.
Only ~600. Good to hear your experience; thanks for sharing. I'll give it a few months and more miles before spending any money on fixing it, but I'll never last long-term in the seat's current setup. And after 3K miles, I want my seat to be AMAZING, not just OK. No car I've ever owned has been so uncomfortable for me. :(

I HATE the lumbar support in the driver's seat. If I could remove it I would.
I assume you could remove it... I may find out in a few months, unfortunately. Maybe I can swap the passenger and driver seat backs? Are there airbags in the seats?

I just may have to have it removed as well someday. Let us know if you do and what would be involved to remove it. Thanks.
Will do. Thanks for your feedback.

I don't think I've ever had such a comfortable seat, but I've got Recaros.
I really wanted heated and cooled seats + memory function, but now I'm second-guessing that decision.

So do I, 50th Appearance Pkg has premier trim. Maybe some of us have the lumbar support installed incorrectly. My EcoBoost Premium PP has trunk, hood, doors, and bumpers all misaligned so it's definitely possible.
I have the 50th AP, as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

luxe_g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I stopped by a Ford dealer today and sat in a couple Mustangs - both GT premium models, one of them with the 50th AP. The driver's seat lumbar support was the same uncomfortable design that matches my car. I think I'll start looking into swapping driver's and passenger side seatbacks next...

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
I normally wouldn't reply in a thread like this because so much is subjective but I actually find the lumbar support very comfortable in this car. By comparison my 07' GT premium seats lumbar is horrible.

del101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Subscribing. Love my mustang but my lower back is killing me and I can't get any position right. I've got the GT premium with premium leather trim. The only thing that works is for long distance driving, by being almost fully reclined. I do hope the seats wear in. 400 miles on the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DB23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T 200A Auto Ingot
Just chiming in, the lumbar support is in the right spot for me and feels good. That said, I only gave it a 2-3 taps from fully retracted - any more than that and it goes from supportive to feeling like a knee in your back.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Subscribing. Love my mustang but my lower back is killing me and I can't get any position right. I've got the GT premium with premium leather trim. The only thing that works is for long distance driving, by being almost fully reclined. I do hope the seats wear in. 400 miles on the clock.

I'm at 1600 and I still can't get used to it even with it fully retracted. It is the singular one thing I hate about my car. Unfortunately I feel it every moment I'm in it. It always feels like it it pushing my ass forward out of the seat like I can never fully get my rear planted in the seat itself. I have lower back problems myself and it is too low for lumbar support anyway. I wish I knew how hard it could be to remove the lumbar pad inside the seat. I'd hate to tear the seat apart and put it back together just for that. I literally may have to try the Ford Racing Recaro seat some day if I can't get used to it. It drives me nuts. I love everything else and the passenger seat is perfect frankly. :(

Sponsored

del101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm at 1600 and I still can't get used to it even with it fully retracted. It is the singular one thing I hate about my car. Unfortunately I feel it every moment I'm in it. It always feels like it it pushing my ass forward out of the seat like I can never fully get my rear planted in the seat itself. I have lower back problems myself and it is too low for lumbar support anyway. I wish I knew how hard it could be to remove the lumbar pad inside the seat. I'd hate to tear the seat apart and put it back together just for that. I literally may have to try the Ford Racing Recaro seat some day if I can't get used to it. It drives me nuts. I love everything else and the passenger seat is perfect frankly. :(

Ok, so I'm not alone. that's EXACTLY what I have. I can't properly sit in, the small of my back is always pushed out, and my butt itself is consequently, never seating properly. It can't be that difficult to switch the seats. I mean, they're on rails and bolted down, right? How hard could it be?

del101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so I'm not alone. that's EXACTLY what I have. I can't properly sit in, the small of my back is always pushed out, and my butt itself is consequently, never seating properly. It can't be that difficult to switch the seats. I mean, they're on rails and bolted down, right? How hard could it be?

I got an idea. A small pillow below the lumbar support. Something like that has to work. Freaking tragedy I can't sit comfortably in my $45k car.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.

Unfortunately it probably isn't that easy. These seats have airbags embedded in them so that's the big one. Controls are on the opposite sides and the passenger seat lacks the lumbar pieces and wiring harnesses I would imagine. About our only option would be to either get a Recaro seat to replace the original. (Then it would lack heating and cooling and electric adjustment) OR see if it is possible to disassemble the seat and remove that lumbar bar/pad. I may go that route someday if I can't get used to it. Of course once the seat is torn up it will never be the same unless you can get a highly competent upholsterer to do the job. If I knew what the seat looked like internally I might have a better idea about what to do. For now it just feels like it is pushing me out of my seat. :(

OP
OP

luxe_g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got an idea. A small pillow below the lumbar support. Something like that has to work. Freaking tragedy I can't sit comfortably in my $45k car.
I've thought of that, but frankly can't stomach the idea of having one of those things in such a nice, new car.

Unfortunately it probably isn't that easy. These seats have airbags embedded in them so that's the big one. Controls are on the opposite sides and the passenger seat lacks the lumbar pieces and wiring harnesses I would imagine. About our only option would be to either get a Recaro seat to replace the original. (Then it would lack heating and cooling and electric adjustment) OR see if it is possible to disassemble the seat and remove that lumbar bar/pad. I may go that route someday if I can't get used to it. Of course once the seat is torn up it will never be the same unless you can get a highly competent upholsterer to do the job. If I knew what the seat looked like internally I might have a better idea about what to do. For now it just feels like it is pushing me out of my seat. :(
Do they really have airbags IN the seats? Or are those "airbag" tags just there referring to side airbags in the doors?

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I've thought of that, but frankly can't stomach the idea of having one of those things in such a nice, new car.

Do they really have airbags IN the seats? Or are those "airbag" tags just there referring to side airbags in the doors?
In the seats as far as I know. Check out this thread and the pics with the airbags deployed. Looks to be right out of the seat if you ask me, hence the tags on the seats. Maybe I'm wrong though.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16306&highlight=airbag
Sponsored