Sponsored

Disabled lumbar support on GT Premium seats

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
As some of you may have seen I have an issue with the comfort of these GT Premium seats to the point where I want to get rid of the car. My last resort was going into the seat and removing the lumbar support since it felt like on the most deflated (although these don't use air) setting, it was still too noticeable. Using a thread on here of someone who replaced their seat covers, and a youtube video from CJ Pony of replacing seat covers, I was able to do this myself relatively easily, although neither of those instructions were of the GT Premium seat so I knew it was going to be slightly different electrically and once I got inside the seat with the heating and cooling components.

I took the seat out of the car, separated the seat bottom from the seat back, and peeled off the seat cover from the seat back and found the lumbar mechanism. It is sadly basically a throttle cable attached to the vertical support frame of the seat, secured on one end with a hook and on the other end to a cone shape piece secured by a metal loop so it cannot move forward. The attachment points are more forward of the cable, so when the lumbar adjustment is set to extend, the motor pulls the cable forward to be even with the attachment points. With the lumbar setting completely disengaged, there was still a lot of tension on this cable so when you sat in the seat, you still felt this cable running along your back. I ended up removing the cone shaped piece from the metal loop to release the tension. I didn't unhook the motor from it, so you can still use the lumbar buttons and you can hear the motor, but since there's so much slack now, it doesn't tighten to the point where you can even feel it, so it is effectively not there anymore.

This may have helped slightly in not sitting against a bulge anymore, but I am still disappointed in the materials for these seats. They are WAY too soft and plush. I am still not happy with how much I sink into the seat and as stupid as this sounds, when I sink in, it causes my belt to dig into my lower back to the point where it is really uncomfortable. I am still thinking of getting rid of this car, except nothing out there is the least bit attractive, so I have no idea what to do. All I know is winter is coming and this car will be impossible to sell and I'll have to sink $2k into it for winter tires and wheels just to survive to the spring to sell it.

Also for whatever reason, the seat bottom cover has too much material on it to properly mount without wrinkles on the left side of it. Makes no sense.

IMG_20180920_104558__01.jpg

IMG_20180920_104615__01.jpg

IMG_20180920_104623__01.jpg

IMG_20180920_130135.jpg

IMG_20180920_130122.jpg
Sponsored

slickster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
charles
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Sorry to hear about your seats.I know your pain.I had a chevy camaro years ago could not get comfortable in it.7 months later got rid of it.I would not put $2K in new tires on it. let that take care of some of the hit your going to take.when it's all done your back and your wallet will feel better.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks. It sucks. Here for the first time I actually spent money on something for myself and this is how it turns out. I miss that Focus I traded in.

I have not done the research yet on costs, but I am fairly sure I will not be able to daily drive the car in the winter as-is with the summer tires. How much would a winter set of tires and wheels likely cost?

I went around to dealers a couple weeks ago and was quoted around $30k for the Mustang. So that is a $6k hit already.

slickster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
charles
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
do you think if you went to a local Upholstery shop and explained what you having a problem with he may be able to fix it

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I had already gone to one and he seemed to think there was nothing that could be done. If it wasn't heated/cooled, maybe. The wrinkling is unavoidable because if you trim the foam the cover won't fit properly, and to trim the cover you'd have to break stitching and re-stitch.

Sponsored

slickster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
charles
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
have you tried another Mustang I know for some reason or other some are worse some feel great

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
The problem is it takes the seats a little while to soften up so I wasn't able to notice anything in any other car. My passenger seat also feels perfect, but I am 100% sure if I sat it on all the time it would feel exactly the same as my driver seat.

CarpenterRunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
How much did taking out the lumbar stuff fix the seat problem for you? And what solution did you end up on for the seats in general? I actually just returned a newly purchased '22 stang with cloth seats to the dealership for the exact same lumbar support issue as you. It got very painful for me to drive for more than 20 minutes, which was never an issue with any vehicle I owned in the past.

The same issue seems to occur when test driving other S550s now, but if this does fix the problem, it gives me some hope that if I did buy another one (don't really want any other car right now) that this would be a fixable problem.
Sponsored