Sponsored

Does size really matter

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at what I had and wondering if I could do better. I'm getting ready to install my Verus diffuser and I am considering a ZL1 add-ons wickerbill for my GT500 spoiler. Question is if it really worth it or if it is just for show? If it is worth it, is there a big difference between the short and the tall?
Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
My ZL1Addons front tow hook did more than show this weekend at auto club when my fuel pump failed on the track.

As for the wing, what do you expect to get out of the wicker bill? How do you control your car's balance and increase/decrease the downforce? An adjustable wing would let you do so with just a simple hex and wrench, dialing it up or down as needed.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Bigger problem is people like to add big(er) wings, but do nothing up front to balance them out.
More rear downforce and same front downforce = push.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Bigger problem is people like to add big(er) wings, but do nothing up front to balance them out.
^ that too.

I wish I could help on the ZL1 wicker, just can't really tell from the look what it will do to the air around it. I'm guessing some effect, but not much because its just riveted on and doesn't have (need) any additional supports, which tells you a little about how much force+drag is actually acting on it, it just doesn't tell you about what its doing to airflow and the forces on other areas nearby.

Its cheap, so the OP could just buy it and try it. Worst thing you wasted a few bucks and have some rivnuts left in your stock spoiler.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Typical HPDE track corner speeds might be about 60mph. Not much aero going on at that speed, other than some drag. At higher speeds, aero comes into play. A sedan style car's windshield causes a high pressure "bubble" of air in front of it and downward onto the hood. So the car's balance shifts forward. To prevent the car from getting too loose and risking a high-speed corner spin, some rear downforce is necessary. Such as from a true wing. A wicker bill on the stock wing couldn't hurt either.

I just installed the ZL1 wicker. I like the looks (for show), but I don't care that it wiggles back and forth on the rivnuts. I will be using VHB between it and the wing to counteract this. I bought it also for the track. A little more rear downforce for not a lot of money.

BTW, I run square tire setup, and GT350 front and rear roll bars. My car feels pretty balanced in those 60mph corners. Haven't been in any corner higher than 90mph so far.

20210610_080545.jpg

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Typical HPDE track corner speeds might be about 60mph. Not much aero going on at that speed, other than some drag. At higher speeds, aero comes into play. A sedan style car's windshield causes a high pressure "bubble" of air in front of it and downward onto the hood. So the car's balance shifts forward. To prevent the car from getting too loose and risking a high-speed corner spin, some rear downforce is necessary. Such as from a true wing. A wicker bill on the stock wing couldn't hurt either.

I just installed the ZL1 wicker. I like the looks (for show), but I don't care that it wiggles back and forth on the rivnuts. I will be using VHB between it and the wing to counteract this. I bought it also for the track. A little more rear downforce for not a lot of money.

BTW, I run square tire setup, and GT350 front and rear roll bars. My car feels pretty balanced in those 60mph corners. Haven't been in any corner higher than 90mph so far.

20210610_080545.jpg
Did you have any before/after notes? Have you run the car on the same track w/o the addon wicker?

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase

20210610_080545.jpg
Did you order the tall or the short version?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Did you have any before/after notes? Have you run the car on the same track w/o the addon wicker?
TLDR: No, I have not. I have not been to a track with high-speed turns yet.

Long answer:
I've only had 4 days at Putnam Park. Turn 4 is the fastest. I got up to 90 at the exit. An instructor drove my car at 95 there on his 3rd or 4th lap in my car. Later in the day (with more track rubber) I ultimately got to within 1/2 second of his lap time.

I once saw a Vette spin at T9 track out.

I think it is not hard to feel the balance of the car in these 50-60mph corners, especially turn 8 which is 180 degrees. I had a different and stiff suspension once on my 2016 car, and it pushed everywhere. No fun at all! Slightly loose or neutral is fun. This 2019 car feels balanced to me, and that same instructor confirmed that when I specifically asked him.

On the street I know my natural tendency is to lift too much. (I don't want to block traffic with a half-spin or bang a curb on the street. And I am NOT a Hoon on the street. ) But I am always in Normal or (occasionally) Sport mode on the street. When you lift completely, the car instantly straightens up perfectly. I like that.

I know that on the track I should lift gently, and I have done that in the medium speed turns, i.e. "steering with the throttle". But in a high-speed turn, I don't want to find out how quickly the car starts to spin. I'm worried that my street tendency may kick-in in a high-speed turn. I realize that the car may not simply slow and straighten up, and I will certainly be in Track mode. (Sport mode heats brakes and makes the car push.) And if the car straightens up, then where am I? Pointed to go off the track!

So this is why I installed a wicker bill. Even 50# more downforce than without it is worth a try.

Summary:
Neutral or slightly loose is fun in slow/medium speed turns. Neutral or slight push is safer for high-speed turns. As a beginner, I don't want my car to be too loose in those high-speed turns. There is more warning with a pushing car than with a loose car. My experience level is too low to know how I and my car will react.

Hope this helps.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Did you order the tall or the short version?
I have the PP1 wing. I think there is only one height version.
Note I left off the clear center section. I may put it on only for track days.
Sponsored