Do you ever disable rev matching?

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I would disable it if I thought I could do better than it. Few can and I admire their skill but rev-match is much better than most of us.
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Last week I bought a 2022 GT Premium 6MT from Ourisman Ford in VA and I am awaiting delivery (via flat bed).

I had a 2018 Audi A4 Quattro with 7 speed DSG that had rev matching and I found that I missed the compression braking I got with my previous 9 manual transmission cars. (VW, 3 Mazdas, 3 BMWs, 2 Porsches). I noticed that the Mustang rev matching can be disabled in the "Track Apps" menu and I was wondering if anyone ever disables rev matching in their 6MT Mustang?
It's never on for me, what's the point of having a manual transmission if I have to let the thing do its rev matching for me.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I would disable it if I thought I could do better than it. Few can and I admire their skill but rev-match is much better than most of us.
you never get better w/o practice. I'm far from flawless with heel toe and doubt I'll ever be 100% computer accurate but I can do it. I spent a lot of time in my 85 745i with a 5spd manual learning blip rev matches and heel toe, learning how to bump the RPM's with a laggy turbo engine from the 80's can really reinforce the concept of proper timing!

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
it’s been over 4 years since I’ve owned a car with a manual trans. I got rather bored driving the DCT in the C8. Plus the exhaust sound is rather quite in the Z51. Stopped by a dealership last year that had a used mach 1. Took her out for a spin and haven’t forgot the visceral experience I had. Over the last couple of months the driving experience just stuck in my brain. So I traded in the C8 while it still had above MSRP trade in value on a new mach 1. Those C8’s values are dropping like rocks

Rev match is a great option to have. With the exhaust in track mode the rev match is mostly on. But it’s nice to turn it off on country roads. Glad to be back in a manual V8 that has a 7400 red line. ( C8 only 6500 ) and having fun again . I guess you could call me old school. Not many sports cars out there with a manual trans and 470 hp. Plus has the proper gearing to enjoy on the street.

Last edited:

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
you never get better w/o practice. I'm far from flawless with heel toe and doubt I'll ever be 100% computer accurate but I can do it. I spent a lot of time in my 85 745i with a 5spd manual learning blip rev matches and heel toe, learning how to bump the RPM's with a laggy turbo engine from the 80's can really reinforce the concept of proper timing!
Of course you are correct: we need lots of practice. And practice has to be done under proper conditions, a race track. Here is an excerpt from "You Suck At Racing":

"People who heel-toe shift on the street aren’t learning in a proper environment. Heel-toe shifting happens during threshold braking. Who does threshold braking from 100 mph to 50 mph on the street? Nobody. Well, I hope nobody.

When driving on track, your engine RPM is usually above 4k the whole time. People on the street are generally under 4k the whole time."

I can do it, just poorly most of the time and coming off the banking at Daytona under heavy braking from 140 down to 50 doing heel/toe poorly seemed like a bad idea. ;) Rev-match did it perfectly, every lap.

Point #2: while testing the Mach 1 Car&Driver left rev-match on, noting they had their hands (feet ?) full at VIR and rev-match offloaded one more task so they could concentrate better on driving. I am not nearly as good a driver as the C&D crew so I will go with their recommendation.

Anyway, seeing h&t done fast and clean is amazing, doing it is even better but I just won't get enough track time to get really good at it. Hmm, I need more track time... ;)

Sponsored

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
Disabled here. Gear changes are smoother (timing) for me w/o the automatic revving from the computer.

OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.

It sounds like disabling Rev Matching is not uncommon.

The primary purpose for the car is for carving turns on the fun twisty roads here in East TN. The Cherohala Skyway is my favorite road to drive in this area. Lots of 40+ MPH sweeping turns to carve and beautiful scenery the whole way. After 9 previous manual transmission cars, I suspect I will prefer to leave rev matching disabled. I can't wait to figure that out. :)

That reminds me, I need to contact Ourisman and find out where the heck my car is.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
When chasing lap times sure it's faster to try to find and engage the next gear while you're braking hard, but under any other condition there is lots of time to come off the brake and blip the throttle or combine with partially engaged clutch while braking to match revs to the new gear before needing to squeeze back on the throttle.

I do it constantly every day every minute when driving. Does it mean ill be perfect when doing on the track? Probably not. But track driving really shouldn't be any more rushed than street driving. Just because the rpm band is different or you're using far more brake doesn't change the dance.

black22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trigger
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
Rev match stays on for me. I love the way Down shifts sound, and I drive a bunch and want my clutch to last. I figure rev match should account for the extra wear produced by more engine power in comparison to my last car, whose clutch lasted until 270k. I did the whole heel toe thing in it and having that attention back on the road/driving feels safer to me. If i missed a gear, i had to figure out where i was, as the cars speed had declined a bit as i played "which gear/rpm". In the mustang, it's simply a matter of putting it in gear, giving it a sec and releasing the clutch. No brain cells needed and by now i likely have 3 more people in other cars trying to kill me. Thats how it is for me, anyways

Hill start stays on too. My driveway is one sweeping hill (front end facing the top of the hill), so it's useful every day.

jcttraveler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Convertible 2019
I guess it depends on the type of driving you'll be doing. My convertible is a daily driver. I turned it off from day one. I can match the revs just fine, but I don't track the car. Most of my acceleration is done on highway on ramps or passing on two-lane highways. I'll be in the car for a few hours Wednesday. I'll turn it on and see how it is.

I really like how the computer gives it a little gas at the stop light. Makes it much easier when creeping along in stop-and-go traffic.

I don't use the hill assist. I learned a trick early on using the hand brake to hold myself if on a tricky hill.

Sponsored

Xtian_Av

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT MT82 2017 Edge Sport
I keep it on because it's just easier for down shifts, the facts that it absolutely screams with my Headers and MBRP Race exhaust doesn't hurt either. I do need to turn off that hill assist though.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Us lowly GT350 folks get NO option for rev matching… you spoiled bunch have it so well.
But I would LOVE a GT350 to have as a weekend car. I used to daily drive my '15 EB 6MT, and while it did rev match on upshifts, it didn't rev match on downshifts. I had so much fun manually rev-matching, and double-clutching on downshifts.

Do I miss it? Not as much, I have rev-matching on on my '19 GT 6MT, and like it was said here already, while I can manually rev-match and do it very well, it's just so much more comfortable to drive with it on, esp if I am driving it to/from work every day.

Don't get me wrong, I have active exhaust and I LOVE the sound of my car on sport or track mode, but as a spoiled GT owner with rev-matching, if I had a GT350 like you, I would be revving that voodoo all day every day!

BTW, love your car.

Cwood8656

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 401A, 2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner double cab
Disabled it the day I bought the car new.

Chris-

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Rev match stays on for me. I love the way Down shifts sound, and I drive a bunch and want my clutch to last. I figure rev match should account for the extra wear produced by more engine power in comparison to my last car, whose clutch lasted until 270k. I did the whole heel toe thing in it and having that attention back on the road/driving feels safer to me. If i missed a gear, i had to figure out where i was, as the cars speed had declined a bit as i played "which gear/rpm". In the mustang, it's simply a matter of putting it in gear, giving it a sec and releasing the clutch. No brain cells needed and by now i likely have 3 more people in other cars trying to kill me. Thats how it is for me, anyways

Hill start stays on too. My driveway is one sweeping hill (front end facing the top of the hill), so it's useful every day.
Exactly!
my wife who actually taught me how to drive a 5MT when we were dating, never drove manual again and drove my '15 EB and '17EB 6MT's and those didn't rev match as much on upshifts and definitely no downshift rev matching.

I made the mistake of asking her to drive my '19 GT to my work and dropping it off at the parkinglot.

When I got home (from a work trip), and came home, she said, "you never told me it rev-matched everywhere, it's like you car is so much easier to drive than old manuals! I may drive it more!"

I am going to have to disable my rev-match to keep her from wanting to drive my car.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Pretty much across the board, weather or not a manual mustang owner disables rev match depends entirely on their age.

Older people disable it instantly, my dad, two of my uncles, and the one coworker I trust turned it off right when they got in. However all of my brothers, cousins, and any of my friends who've come for a ride love it. What it comes down to is how long you've been driving manual before auto rev-match was introduced.

Hill hold is a bit of a different story, I think its poorly executed in the mustang compared to other cars I've owned with the same feature, it holds for a bit too long I'd prefer if it released once the clutch was at the bite point. Hill hold as a feature is great, but it needs a bit of tweaking.
Sponsored

Last edited: