Do you avoid or embrace car shows?

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I used to love car shows but haven't been to one in decades.

When I was in high school, I had a deal with a local toy and hobby shop that I could set up a booth at the annual auto show and sell their stock on consignment. Model car kits, cheap one channel RC cars, posters, stuff like that. I could usually clear about $500 or $600 bucks for a weekends worth of work which (esp. back in the late '70s) was a very nice payday for a high school kid.

One year, they had a Penthouse model running around taking promotional pictures with all the cars, and I got them to take a pic of her at my booth. I lost it many years ago though.

I bet your wife found it.
Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
🤣 🤣 🤣

Actually, I think my mom & dad probably through it out with all my other high school junk when they moved out of their house and cleaned out my old room ... of course, my dad may have just kept for himself too! 😮🤣

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I used to love car shows but haven't been to one in decades.

When I was in high school, I had a deal with a local toy and hobby shop that I could set up a booth at the annual auto show and sell their stock on consignment. Model car kits, cheap one channel RC cars, posters, stuff like that. I could usually clear about $500 or $600 bucks for a weekends worth of work which (esp. back in the late '70s) was a very nice payday for a high school kid.

One year, they had a Penthouse model running around taking promotional pictures with all the cars, and I got them to take a pic of her at my booth. I lost it many years ago though.
LOL that reminds me, this was the ho I mean model wandering around our show 🙄😂…. Think she loves attention? My wife took the pic to disgustedly show her friends.
AB371C68-1FE2-493D-BD95-95E533736A62.jpeg

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Actually, I like car shows. I've just never had either the time or notification to go to any of the shows. I just stumble across them. I've been surprised by what shows up at some of the local shows. Some really nice cars out there.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
There are a lot of local shows around here. I like the ones that feature old, unusual and exotic cars. There is one called Brew City cruise nights that I like for the variety. There is also a burger place called Georgy Porgies that has weekly shows and it attract some pretty wild rides. But, most local shows have a bunch of Mustangs, a few Challengers and maybe one Camaro; not exactly exciting. This area is not known for it's car culture. 75% of the vehicles you see are SUVs and most of the rest are 4 door pickups.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
I enjoy going to car shows and looking at other cars...if the proceeds go to charity I enter, but I never fuss over my car because the likelihood of it winning is low. I went to an All Ford one today and there was another Mach 1 there just like mine...so I really didn't bother wiping it down or anything. I find despite my lack of efforts, I still get a lot of people asking me about the car. There are a lot of shows Northern Alabama...nearly one every weekend from about Mar to Oct

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I've recently gone to Ponies in the Smokies and the Mustang of America National Show in Florence, SC. In both shows, I chose to be on display only. I prefer to be able to park my car, and then walk around and enjoy the car. I felt sorry for the people that were having their cars judged at the SC show as it was dusty with a slight wind and they spent two days constantly cleaning and recleaning their vehicles.

Sponsored

Specracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Embrace. My favorites are the "cars and coffee", 1st thing in the morning, and cater to my attention span, an hour or 2, then I still have the rest of the day to do other things.

Exceptions, Carlisle, we typically go as a family (wife and kids), and make a weekend of it. We have also done some MCA shows, but have had repeated conflicts or they are just too far so its been a few years.

CarbonZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I used to love going to shows. Don't do it anymore, but I don't have a show car anymore either. Trophies are cool and all though.

I'll walk around the high end local one once or twice a year, but don't have any desire to go to small ones anymore. Cool scene though depending on the area, and generally a good group of people too.

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
Starting in the late 1980s, I did a lot of car shows. At the time, showing a 1970 Plymouth Superbird. Largely restored the car myself, and eventually the politics at some shows wore thin and I stopped going.

Fast forward to the early 2000's and I restored the 1972 Plymouth Scamp that my grandmother bought new. It went all the way through the AACA, eventually achieving Grand National Senior. A few years ago, I came to the realization that I just don't want to sit behind the car in a lawnchair all day. While the car won't go out in the rain, I drive it often now.

I am blessed to have a few "Special interest" cars. I am the founder and long time president of a local Mopar car club. Many of our members will attend multiple shows a week. Others have no interest. I'm to the point where I'd rather take my car for a nice drive and use $20 in gas instead of $20 for an entry fee.

Cars and coffee I do enjoy. I suppose it's because it's not all day. I do like the social aspect of the car events and seeing friends, but I just can't sit there all day anymore.

I'll close with a comment that a late friend used to make at trophy time. "Here is your award....your car is your trophy".

Boosted Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 2.3 High Performance Package
I used to do car shows with my 1997 Firebird Formula WS-6 Ram Air won class multiple times with it and once at a big Cape Coral car show we won best of show, that trophy was awarded by spectator votes, you had to buy a ticket and you would write down the number assigned to the car, the group next to us was from Naples, Florida and they must have bought a hundred tickets and filled out their cars number on them. We did not buy a single ticket and enough people liked the firebird Formula that it won the best of show award. This is the car and the six foot tall trophy is the best of show it won, the other two were trophies it won at other shows.

F8E28600-882E-4DB9-B7B3-1472F3A27A65.jpeg

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I was a drag racer for 30 years,I used to frown at car shows,bunch of guys who know nothing about cars with a lot of tire shine and dusters but now that I retired from drag racing
here I am ..Circle of life I guess.... I still laugh at the guys with the shine boxes in the trunk of thier cars...

Snapchat-1347707128.jpg
Sponsored