Sponsored

new cars in car shows

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
All in good fun here, but..someone help me understand because I don't get it. Why put anything less than 20 years old in a show unless it's WILDLY modified or very rare? Any Wal mart parking lot on a busy day will get you the same selection.

And then also open the hood on that late model car?

It's a pet peeve for me, but I have a buddy who is disgusted by it and will protest by turning away or blocking his vision..lol
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
What would you rather look at? A brand new late model sports car or a Chrysler K car and a 78 Chevy Nova. Their more than 20 years old. I've seen both of those models at car shows recently.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Huh, was just at the national show in St. Augustine Florida, 400 mustangs, everything from 1964 to brand new GT350's. It's the overall selection that shows off the lengthy history of the mustang. It was a blast talking to old guys with the stangs from the 60's and comparing them to new rides with over 700hp.

Terry

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I don't see any point in it either. Stock is fine for old cars, no reason to show my car with just wheels.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I admit I don't quite get it either. Cars that are the same or nearly the same as hundreds of them at dealer's lot or worst case have some "mods" installed that in most of the cases make them look worse.

GT350(R) - sure. Any other Mustang S550 ? No idea why....

I would rather look at something that isn't currently on the streets in a number of few million pieces and I see at least 6 of at my office building parking lot (including stage 3 Roush)

Sponsored

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
Many reasons.

My car is not something you will find on a showroom floor.

My car is cleaner than most every trailer queens out there.

More times than not my car is superior in every way than something that is twenty years old.

It takes all kinds. Different people like different cars. I remember as a kid going to shows and falling in love with every car I had seen. I especially remember those people who took the time to talk to me or even let me sit in their car.

I cannot count how many times people will come up to me and say I am thinking about buying one. What do you think about.......

I have learned much by the different people I have met.

I have made a few good friends with my new car.

Car people are car people. I love attending and seeing what everyone else has to offer. I do not snub someone else's ride because it is not my cup of tea. I just smile and walk by.

Bottom line car shows are an event for people to attend and enjoy a common hobby and each others company. If you want to join an exclusive club enjoy yourself but please do not exclude me for any reason when I am not bothering anyone.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
^^ Well put.

I won't enter my '15 in any judged/trophy show, but a cruise night type of show - hell yes.

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
^^ Well put.

I won't enter my '15 in any judged/trophy show, but a cruise night type of show - hell yes.
There are many shows with classes and awards for "new" cars and trucks. I have never had an opportunity to enter mine but if the chance arises I will.

:first:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
We took home a trophy for the best modern ford last year at a large local show. Pretty cool. Bigger shows have more categories. It's just a nice opertuneity to get out and mingle with like minded people.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
Yeah newer cars in the shows never bothered me, even if they are just your run of the mill stock. Different strokes for different folks and all that lol. Sure I guess you can take a look at dealerships and such too, but I always thought it was nice to get a closer look at what the newer ones were coming with under the hood or inside the interior without going to a dealership and getting harassed by a salesman lol. Plus since they're usually all clustered or lined up by year, you get a nice little visual evolutionary in-person chart to check out. In general I say the whole gig behind a car show is that everyone is an enthusiast be it old or new, and it's just one more place enthusiasts are congregating. I don't think I'd personally throw my stock '16 GT in a show unless I had tricked it out a bit be it performance mods or just something that made it visually unique and uncommon from the rest, and it's true I'll more than likely be hovering over the older models and poking around. But still, at the end of the day it's all about everyone having some fun.

Sponsored

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
I will look at any clean examples of anything. In some ways very clean later model cars are more interesting - collectors won't be bringing out their '90s cars yet and most of the roadworthy examples are going to be beat to hell. There are after all only so many times you can find yet another example of a stock 60s/70s car before they are just as pedestrian at these events.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
1. If you aren't a car guy, then stop going to car shows.

2. There are many kinds of car shows. If you want to see old cars then go to a classic car show.

mrblanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
The only reason I would put my TY 2016 Mustang in a show would be to park it next to my matching 1926 Ford Tudor.

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Like I said initially, I really am just genuinely curious. I still can't get into seeing 15 identical late model mustangs side by side with little or no noticeable mods, and seeing an engine that is mostly wires and plastic really isn't the same as seeing a simplistic old V8 with the block painted and firewall smoothed, etc.

BUT..I am a car show guy. I love cars of all types and years, but I prefer to see something unique. Being "clean" or even in great condition really isn't that important to me.

ALSO..I'm honestly tired of looking at first gen camaros (and I have one, in various states of disassembly) at every show. I do enjoy going to the modern auto show with all the new models for each maker, along with a few special editions.

Some good points raised here. I guess I get it a bit more now.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I've learned, since buying my Mustang and parking it at "car shows", that nothing is more boring than parking my car at car shows. I literally park my car (which isn't and never will be anything that will capture the eye), walk around looking at people's cars (usually disappointed that half of them of bone stock 4.6 1994 Mustangs...), and talk to a few people because I'm a nice guy. There's usually a couple of "well known" cars there - or at least the ones done up far more than the regular car there, and those get attention, but then you move on. Rarely does a car show have any sort of facilitated social activities (i.e., volleyball, play catch with a stick) or, a'hem, auto-oriented event that isn't unobtainabley expensive for the average person and/or overpopulated/over-regulated and you spend more time waiting to do it or being choked by insurance sue-happy culture rules. I guess a nice part is hanging out with my car friends. I'd rather do that at a house, where we can get some mods done and go drive! The best part of car shows is coordinated runs into the car show with all your club members/friends. And maybe a nice tan if it's nice outside. Certainly never see any good looking girls unless it's an import thing and, in those cases, they're 10 years younger than me and that starts to get a little "grad student at a frat party"-ish.
Sponsored