Differential Flanges - Any Experts?

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hmm... How close did you get? I looked at the Ford Perforance companion flange instructions and how to measure the torque. I saw a guy reuse the nut on an s197 and he got it back to the paint mark he made.and called it good.
Probably only half of what we needed. In hindsight we should have used oil on the threads and nut, it has a sealing locking paste on it which might have prevented it from getting any tighter.
Sponsored

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I krded the whole sleeve and crush spacer kit from Tasca. Should be here next week along with the new flange. I was going to swap the current one off my 3.73 Torsen but decided it's just easier to keep that whole and ready incase I destroy this aluminum housed 3.31 with the blower, 7 gal trunk ice tank, hoses, heat exchanger, she is not exactly light on her feet. 20lbs off the rear is worth it especially with the steeda support bracket.

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just bought a 3:15 gen 2 diff with an auto flange. Sounds like this will fit on 18 auto? Same size at 110, but is it the same design?

BRY302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2019 PP2
Hi, i need to know if the GT 350 and 2019 Mustang manual have the same length of drive shaft

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Hi, i need to know if the GT 350 and 2019 Mustang manual have the same length of drive shaft
Off the top of my head no, but the length is not the only difference. The flange and attachment at the transmission tailshaft is different. I can measure the length difference when I get home, I have one of each driveshaft on the floor in the garage. The pinion flanges should be the same though.

Sponsored

BRY302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2019 PP2
Off the top of my head no, but the length is not the only difference. The flange and attachment at the transmission tailshaft is different. I can measure the length difference when I get home, I have one of each driveshaft on the floor in the garage. The pinion flanges should be the same though.
yes if you can check the length that will really help me! because now i'm doing a TR-3160 swap and i'm not sure about the drive shaft if the length is equal i can maybe juste replace the front flange.

BRY302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2019 PP2
or maybe auto drive shaft from mustang 2018 will work because this is not the same front flange

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
I think ive just ran in to this problem.

Trying to put a 2018+ EB Manual 3.31 diff in to my 2016 GTPP1 (3.73 tracloc).

My car is 113mm and the new diff is 110mm.

Is this the part I need to fix the situation?

FR3Z-4851-B

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-companion-flange-fr3z4851b
That appears to be the correct part number. This has same part number and specifically states 113mm pinion flange for manual 15-17 cars (which is what you would need): https://lmr.com/item/LRS-4851/s550-mustang-mt82-113mm-pinion-flange-2015-17. Or you can also swap to any manual 2018+ driveshaft. Pinion flanges are all the same on the 18+ driveshafts, but the front part of the driveshaft where it attaches to the transmission will be different, if you decide to go that route instead.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
That appears to be the correct part number. This has same part number and specifically states 113mm pinion flange for manual 15-17 cars (which is what you would need): https://lmr.com/item/LRS-4851/s550-mustang-mt82-113mm-pinion-flange-2015-17. Or you can also swap to any manual 2018+ driveshaft. Pinion flanges are all the same on the 18+ driveshafts, but the front part of the driveshaft where it attaches to the transmission will be different, if you decide to go that route instead.
LMR don't ship international, but the part number is the same on Tasca, so I think I'll order that and give it a go.

Sponsored

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Have I got this right, because my (normally trusted) shop are saying something different.....

With the FR part mentioned above (from LMR) I can connect the existing driveshaft on my 16GT MT82 (113mm) to my replacement diff, which is a 3.31 out of a 18+ ecoboost MT82 car, which is a 110mm.

Are these parts exchangeable without opening the diff pumpkin?

Thanks, maybe a dumb Q, but I want to be sure before I get into a yes/no situation with the shop.

:)

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Have I got this right, because my (normally trusted) shop are saying something different.....

With the FR part mentioned above (from LMR) I can connect the existing driveshaft on my 16GT MT82 (113mm) to my replacement diff, which is a 3.31 out of a 18+ ecoboost MT82 car, which is a 110mm.

Thanks, maybe a dumb Q, but I want to be sure before I get into a yes/no situation with the shop.

Yeah, I swapped the flange with diff still in car. I would buy a new nut though, it has some kind of locking or sealing compound on it.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT

Yes you can swap the flanges without opening the diff. But getting proper preload without replacing the crush sleeve is nearly impossible and if not correct you will have a hell of a diff whine. Ask me how I know. Mine was ear piercing at freeway speeds. You may get lucky but be aware you likely will not if you go that route.

Brian O

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I think ive just ran in to this problem.

Trying to put a 2018+ EB Manual 3.31 diff in to my 2016 GTPP1 (3.73 tracloc).

My car is 113mm and the new diff is 110mm.

Is this the part I need to fix the situation?

FR3Z-4851-B

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-companion-flange-fr3z4851b
I have all the parts to do this, except a new Pinion nut. Any chance you have the ford part number for the nut? Tasca does not seem to show it in diagram I am pulling up.

thanks Brian

Brian O

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
This all seemed easy enough to me. I purchased a used 2018 differential (pumpkin) with the gearing I desired, and was simply going to swap to a new pinion/driveshaft yoke to fit my 2017 driveshaft (I would then have two complete differentials with different gearing available). All the parts are present and ready for the swap. I checked the turning preload on it before removing the yoke. Removed it, removed the bearing, ... all looks good. Except the crush sleeve is below the race. I can not figure how to remove the race (and get too/install new crush sleeve) without a full Differential teardown. No puller I have will fit between the old crush sleeve and race to get a hold of it.
I have searched for a tool small enough to get at this race to remove it (with pinion shaft still in place), .... and no luck.

Several people on this site have talked about just swapping it, but how the heck to you change the crush sleeve without diving completely into the deep end of the pool? I am considering finding a shaft shim and placing it on top of the old crush sleeve and then reassemble and simply further crush the old crush sleeve (I mean a real thin shim).

Has anyone done this? How have you handled this? Any input/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks ...Brian
Sponsored