Sponsored

Ring and pinion vs differential assembly

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having one heck of a time finding an OEM diff housing with the gear ratio I want and the differential I want. Having done neither, which is more difficult (and therefore more expensive) to change: ring and pinion or differential?

Please don't flame, I honestly never broke one of these open before nor assembled one. I'm thinking the ring and pinion would be easier from an exploded drawing I found but wanted to ask.

For what it's worth, I'm looking for a 3.55 with a Torsen. 3.73 Torsens are all over the place and 3.55 Traction Loc diffs are easier to find.

I appreciate the help.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Everything I've seen points to needing to remove the diff to change gears on the s550 so its basically a moot point. Buy a torsen diff with the correct flange for your transmission and then put the gears you want in it (I recommend a performance shop because there's nasty consequences for setting the lash wrong).

Are you manual or auto? If auto you can just buy the 3.55 torsen from ford.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Everything I've seen points to needing to remove the diff to change gears on the s550 so its basically a moot point. Buy a torsen diff with the correct flange for your transmission and then put the gears you want in it (I recommend a performance shop because there's nasty consequences for setting the lash wrong).

Are you manual or auto? If auto you can just buy the 3.55 torsen from ford.
Auto with 3.15 gears. Unfortunately I think I have to change everything to get 3.55 and a Torsen.

I'm thinking of buying a whole new pumpkin. What I'm wondering is if it is better to buy a 3.73 Torsen and replace with 3.55 ring and pinion or buy a 3.55 Traction loc and install a Torsen.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
You could also do a 3.73 torsen and swap the flange. Gearing might be on the short side but it'd an auto so...
I'm staying NA but 3.73 seems a bit much. Definitely a last option :)

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Buying a 3.73 torsen and changing gears and flange will be easier. Though I'm kinda thinking you'd like 3.73...gotta look at it with the 10R gearing.
Forgot about this