Sponsored

Did GT350 values just get bolstered with the S650 reveal?

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Of course not. As @stanglife correctly pointed out above your post, the new "ultimate" Mustang will not launch at the same time as the new generation. Ford's got to milk this generation for all it's worth so you start with the 3 "base" versions and then over the following 7 years or so you throw in 1 or 2 new "ultimates" as well as a mid cycle refresh to maximize interest/demand. So I think a proper Shelby replacement is yet yo come and it may as well be a Shelby or potentially something else.
Yes, on the plus side - they are doing a lot with this car for a performance release. Imagine what the 2nd year S650 Boss could look like. It has potential.

Everyone is reading this how they want just to argue - but my main point is - There's not much here that is going to trigger a current GT350 owner to jump ship. A large number of additional 350s for sale in the market is what drives the price down but this isn't going to happen because of this car. Simply, if you have a 350 and would consider the next best thing... the DH is definitely not it.
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
IMO you are on to something here.
Does anyone think for a second Ford hasnā€™t already bought and driven the crap out of a Z06 FPC. Iā€™ll guarantee you they are already working on something better.
Nobody, I mean nobody can argue the exhilarating feeling the GT350 powertrain gives us. What a fantastic engine/transmission.
If GM has overcome the reliability issues (time will tell) Iā€™ll guarantee Ford will be all over it. After all, GM has had almost a decade to improve on Fords idea to go with a FPC 5+ liter engine.
Wouldnā€™t shock me in the slightest if a gen 3 Voodoo appears and I agree theyā€™re probably all over the Z06. I was/am planning to start looking at 350ā€™s next year so Iā€™m hoping Ford announces something for the 60th to give me something to think about šŸ˜. If itā€™s a revitalized Voodoo, I would absolutely be an early adopter

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
The reliability is well overblown. Failure rates are a little higher then the 5,0 between 15 and 18. Similar to the 5.0 for 19/20
I keep hearing both sides of the reliability issues with the Ford FPC. All speculation/opinions.
If I keep my GT350 past the 3/36K, Iā€™m buying an extended Ford warranty. Iā€™ve owned many a car/truck in my 64 years and Iā€™ve never bought an extended warranty.
Truth be told, we just donā€™t have anything documented from a dead reliable source. If youā€™ve cracked that nut, please share so we can verify. Otherwise itā€™s just another opinion.

killbeagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi A4, 2021 Shelby GT500
Yes, on the plus side - they are doing a lot with this car for a performance release. Imagine what the 2nd year S650 Boss could look like. It has potential.

Everyone is reading this how they want just to argue - but my main point is - There's not much here that is going to trigger a current GT350 owner to jump ship. A large number of additional 350s for sale in the market is what drives the price down but this isn't going to happen because of this car. Simply, if you have a 350 and would consider the next best thing... the DH is definitely not it.
Agree. The 350 is such a unique car that I think the concept of "upgrading" doesn't really apply in the same way that it would to a more regular car anyway.

It will be hard to fully compare anything against it in the first place but lets just say for arguments sake that even if there where another Shelby 350 from Ford, same name plate, drivers car, light track use, high revving, cross plane crank, manual etc., even then I think a lot of people that have a 2016-2019 GT350 will not care to upgrade. Some may want that car as well but I think a lot of people that got the Gt350, that's exactly what they wanted. Another way to maybe think about it is that a 1968 Shelby GT500 is what it is and I don't think anyone having one of these is thinking about trading it for a 2014 GT500 or a 2021 GT500.

What I definitely can see impacting it's value for the next couple of years would be a recession and the associated need to sell things not needed to get by on a daily basis.
Another one that I am not sure how it's going to play out is the whole EV topic. If in 20-30 years from now EV is the de facto standard, will people still care gasoline cars, even if they were collectibles once?

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Agree. The 350 is such a unique car that I think the concept of "upgrading" doesn't really apply in the same way that it would to a more regular car anyway.

It will be hard to fully compare anything against it in the first place but lets just say for arguments sake that even if there where another Shelby 350 from Ford, same name plate, drivers car, light track use, high revving, cross plane crank, manual etc., even then I think a lot of people that have a 2016-2019 GT350 will not care to upgrade. Some may want that car as well but I think a lot of people that got the Gt350, that's exactly what they wanted. Another way to maybe think about it is that a 1968 Shelby GT500 is what it is and I don't think anyone having one of these is thinking about trading it for a 2014 GT500 or a 2021 GT500.

What I definitely can see impacting it's value for the next couple of years would be a recession and the associated need to sell things not needed to get by on a daily basis.
Another one that I am not sure how it's going to play out is the whole EV topic. If in 20-30 years from now EV is the de facto standard, will people still care gasoline cars, even if they were collectibles once?
I think you can look at the price of some purebred horses and you will have your answer. Gas cars which were valuable will always remain valuable, if not more so when EV rolls around.

Unrelated, EV is not where the market is going, but some sort of hybrid/locomotive powertrain.. Just give it some time.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The whole revitalized Voodoo notion makes sense to a degree with the whole new twin throttle body intake, since a TB per bank would be the proper way to do it....

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Seeing the pics on that Road and Track link, the front of this car reminds me of a Camaro. Even the back side is a little reminiscent of a Camaro.
In other words, it doesn't look much like a Mustang, certainly not a GT350. I can't see it affecting the values of the GT350.

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, it doesn't look good. I like the interior a little bit and the exterior less than that. From the sound of it, the only street performance version will be the Dark Horse - which sounds dumb and (again IMO) looks blah. They mentioned a Dark Horse S for track days but didnt' specify if it would be street legal and I didn't see it in their video. The street cars would be appealing to some of Ford was like - oh, BTW, we shaved 500lbs from this platform...but that's not happening.

The only one that looked good...I mean REALLY good was their GT3 - that widebody, vented fenders and carbon roof, I loved it. If they offered something similar that could be street/track, Id be interested but in general, the reveal made me happy to keep my R.

Overall, the reveal was filled with awkward pauses and empty applause.
Yes. I would say all S550's, especially GT350/500, just went up.

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Romeo Quadraflio, 2018 TT GT Prem, 22 GT
Wouldnā€™t shock me in the slightest if a gen 3 Voodoo appears and I agree theyā€™re probably all over the Z06. I was/am planning to start looking at 350ā€™s next year so Iā€™m hoping Ford announces something for the 60th to give me something to think about šŸ˜. If itā€™s a revitalized Voodoo, I would absolutely be an early adopter
Bro I love my 2 Mustangs but Ford has nothing coming out to rival the Z06 in performance and value.

Truly the Z06 is finally a real American supercar competitor.

I love the GT500. Its a great looking car with decent numbers. But for 100k you can get a lot of car.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Bro I love my 2 Mustangs but Ford has nothing coming out to rival the Z06 in performance and value.

Truly the Z06 is finally a real American supercar competitor.

I love the GT500. Its a great looking car with decent numbers. But for 100k you can get a lot of car.
I hear you, the Z06 looks and sounds phenomenal. I was a GM guy for 20+ years before I bought my first Mustang a couple years ago. If I were to go back to GM it would be a C7 ZR1. I love the C8 but I have a hard time fitting in the damn thing and Iā€™m only 6ā€™1ā€ ~215 lbs. But yeah the Z06 is going to slay some supercars for a fraction of the cost, ADM included

Sponsored

jalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Yeah, not a fan of the styling of the S650. Hope the sharp edges get soften again into a more cohesive design. Thumbs up to be the last of the big 3 to carry on with a RWD, V8 and manual pony car.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I like the S650. The front end looks better than the S550 in my opinion. Over time the catfish mouth did grow on me and now I think it is ok. But I think the S550 front end is too busy and confused.

I like the way the lines in the side of the S650 continue in the nose of the car.

I like that they lowered the belt lines of the car. I think the tops of the doors are a little too high in the S550. I would have to actually sit in the S650 to know whether this makes a big difference in reality, but I'm glad they did it.

As far as the interior, I'm an older guy, but IMO it's about time Ford got rid of that 2 inch screen in the base Mustangs. That thing is TERRIBLE! And you could pay $60k or more and get a GT350 or even a GT350R Mustang with that teensy tiny screen.

I think the images of the interior look really good. I just hope the screen is plenty low enough and out of my line of sight when I'm driving. But I definitely agree with the idea of having a large screen with lots of flexibility in configuring it yourself. The Mustang comes into the 21st century! Finally.

The rear of the S550 was the most beautiful part in my opinion, and I don't really like the new S650 tail lights as much as those from the S550. But with the deep concavity and sharp bend in the rear panel I think the back of the car actually still looks really good.

Overall, I think Ford hit it out of the park with the S650. There are a few things I don't love and some things I will have to find out about as more information comes in.

Bottom line is weight and price though. If the car is lighter than the S550, IMO it's a winner. If it's heavier, then it's MEH for me. To me the looks are less important than the performance, and a few more HP won't improve performance if the weight and other equipment isn't right.

And really I'm waiting for the halo model to come out. Yes they are saying the Dark Horse is the halo, but IMO it's the Mach replacement. I want to see what the Shelby/Boss/Cobra replacement is for the S650.

And then there's price. If Ford keeps prices low I might be a buyer before the S650 run is over. If the Dark Horse and other models above it are more than $60k and are difficult to get - the halo will have to be superb for me to want one for $70k or more. I have trouble imagining that Ford would be able to make it good enough that I would drop that much money.

Last edited:

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
This seems to happen every new model of a car/truck/jet/space shuttle... maybe not that last one. But everyone hates the new and thinks the old is an instant classic.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I definitely agree with the idea of having a large screen with lots of flexibility in configuring it yourself.
I can appreciate different opinions on vehicles, but the large screen dash is a deal breaker for me. I know, times are changing & the digital dash stuff is inevitable.
There are still folks who insist that their Mustang has points and a condenserā€¦. If you have to google that, the new big screens are the bomb huh?
Iā€™m old school and still want my analog dashboard.
Just my opinionā€¦ not that it is right or wrongā€¦ just that it is mine.

39,500 miles on my 2019 GT350ā€¦.. should I slow down on the mileage accumulation?

HELL NOā€¦. I love driving this thing.

This is truly the greatest time to be a muscle car enthusiastā€¦ letā€™s enjoy it while we canā€¦.!!!!!

OPINION DISCLAIMER
If you donā€™t like my opinion, them I suggest you use your G.P.S. (Go Pound Sand)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I can appreciate different opinions on vehicles, but the large screen dash is a deal breaker for me. I know, times are changing & the digital dash stuff is inevitable.
There are still folks who insist that their Mustang has points and a condenserā€¦. If you have to google that, the new big screens are the bomb huh?
Iā€™m old school and still want my analog dashboard.
Just my opinionā€¦ not that it is right or wrongā€¦ just that it is mine.

39,500 miles on my 2019 GT350ā€¦.. should I slow down on the mileage accumulation?

HELL NOā€¦. I love driving this thing.

This is truly the greatest time to be a muscle car enthusiastā€¦ letā€™s enjoy it while we canā€¦.!!!!!

OPINION DISCLAIMER
If you donā€™t like my opinion, them I suggest you use your G.P.S. (Go Pound Sand)
I like the analog gages in my '70, but the tiny screen in the current Mustangs might as well just be a blank plate. What I hate the most about it is Ford charges a bunch of money for a normal sized screen that probably costs them a couple dollars more than the itsy bitsy one.

I'm surprised that you say you like performance, but an appearance thing is a deal breaker to you. I might dislike an interior, but it's not my top priority in buying a car.

Every time I get in my Mustang now the steering wheel does annoy me. The leather is so cheap compared to the steering wheel in the base GR86. But like I said interior isn't a deal breaker for me.
Sponsored