Delete spare tire/wheel?

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2021 California Special Black exterior
My GT Premium came with the spare. The only flat tire I ever had was a half century ago. Is there any HP gain in removing the spare? I am guessing around 30 lbs for this boat anchor. Would gain a couple square feet of storage too.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
My GT Premium came with the spare. The only flat tire I ever had was a half century ago. Is there any HP gain in removing the spare? I am guessing around 30 lbs for this boat anchor. Would gain a couple square feet of storage too.
No HP. Weight is over the rear end which is actually good.

You do know what Murphy’s law is right. I guarantee it.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The PP cars come with a styrofoam spacer and an electronic air inflator. The spacer is probably a good idea so your trunk floor panel has some support. I tossed that Ford inflator, but keep a Ryobi inflator, batteries, and tire repair kit.

Are you going to notice 30lbs in a 3700lb car? Its less than 1%, so probably not unless you're secretly Niki Lauda. The saying goes ounces make pounds - so weight savings can definitely add-up so as part of a larger hitlist of weight reduction, but just the spare, probably won't feel it no.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
32.7 HP Easy!

P.S. I'll take that spare

I dunno. I haven't changed a tire on the side of the road in eons either, but not having a spare makes my eye twitch sometimes. My Volvo doesn't have one either.

Sponsored

TentacleKitty

Tentacle Kitty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2014 Toyota Tacoma
I recently put in a custom order for a GT, and my dealer asked if I wanted to add the spare tire kit for another $400 or so. I said no, because there are plenty of other places to get the exact same thing for much cheaper. For example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174181676086

I did the same thing for my previous 2015 GT purchase years ago.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Think about what you would have to endure if you got a flat on the highway.
Hours of waiting for a tow. Then what?
The inflator kit is useless if you get sidewall damage.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Depends where you do a lot of driving. If you've ever been in South Texas near the border with Mexico, you know its pretty remote. You can be 50 miles or more from any kind of service. I dont even like mini donut spares around that area. In Houston, I wouldn't worry about having a spare.

OP
OP

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
32.7 HP Easy!

P.S. I'll take that spare

I dunno. I haven't changed a tire on the side of the road in eons either, but not having a spare makes my eye twitch sometimes. My Volvo doesn't have one either.
You could look into run flats, but you might not like the ride.

OP
OP

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
I recently put in a custom order for a GT, and my dealer asked if I wanted to add the spare tire kit for another $400 or so. I said no, because there are plenty of other places to get the exact same thing for much cheaper. For example:

Yes, I had no choice, I bought the car off the dealer showroom floor. But, everything else was exactly the way I would have ordered it. So, not a big deal... I get a-plan pricing which saves enough for a buddy burger at Culvers.😂

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I seem to get a flat once a year or so...
Twice in 2021.
One on a rental Explorer, there was a 4 hour wait for the rental company to get me help. It had a donut so I changed it and went on my way.
The next was on my Edge. My daughter hit something and cut a 1" gash in the tread two blocks from the house. Thank goodness I have a spare in it as an inflator woud have been an absolute waste of effort.
We keep AAA on my wife's car but even on a good day they're an hour wait, in rush hour or busy times it can run 3+ hours.
So go ahead and pull that spare and jack out if you want. You could even sell it on here, they're always in demand. For me I'll gladly carry that little bit of extra weight.

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I've had three flats so far in my first year of owning the Bullitt. Luckily, I was never left stranded. I now have the Automotive Authority spare tire kit that fits over the Brembos with no spacer needed. I will probably never have another flat.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2

Do you know if a spacer is used for the front if it will then clear the brembo? If so this is a good deal. I am sure a 25mm spacer kept in the front for just in case your front goes flat would be easy for temp ride home

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Do you know if a spacer is used for the front if it will then clear the brembo? If so this is a good deal. I am sure a 25mm spacer kept in the front for just in case your front goes flat would be easy for temp ride home
This is the factory spare and does not work with the Brembo’s.