Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackstangs.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
For price, reliability and availability of stock parts I would suggest the V6. The cyclone engine has been around for a while now and people are comfortable working on it. Stock parts can be had for next to nothing and found everywhere.

For performance, comfort items and aftermarket parts availability I would do an EB. The V6 is difficult to upgrade at this point and is being discontinued so aftermarket support has fallen off a cliff. Ford Performance in the future is marked very much toward the V8 and Ecoboost variants.

When I was doing my search a couple months ago I went with a V6 almost solely on price. I found them $5-$6k below Ecoboosts in my area. Also since I had a 2015 V6 before I was more familiar with the platform.

OP
OP

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
For the sake of entertaining another option, car A is a '15 V6 with 18K miles. Car B is a '14 V6 with similar mileage, but with options that were not available on the '15 V6 (leather, nav, etc.). Price difference between the two is negligible. Do you think car B is something we should entertain, or is the S550 platform a better choice. I know this is an S550 forum, but I had to ask...for arguments sake.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
For the sake of entertaining another option, car A is a '15 V6 with 18K miles. Car B is a '14 V6 with similar mileage, but with options that were not available on the '15 V6 (leather, nav, etc.). Price difference between the two is negligible. Do you think car B is something we should entertain, or is the S550 platform a better choice. I know this is an S550 forum, but I had to ask...for arguments sake.
Drive or have her drive BOTH. I have NEVER owned a Mustang. However, I've driven friend's Mustangs (mainly GT's and all V8 powered) from 60's to Fox Bodies etc. I drove a '14 V6 / 6 speed car with leather and a ton of options even had LOW LOW miles. Was NOT impressed.

Drove a '15 Mustang. The difference was NIGHT and DAY - at least for me. That test drive is the reason I bought a '17.

HTH

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'd take Car A every time out of those choices just because the platform is better and who wants their new car to be an old model (shhh just ignore the 2018s being slightly different)?

Sponsored

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackstangs.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350

Is Independent Rear Suspension important to you?

OP
OP

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Is Independent Rear Suspension important to you?
The answer to this question drives the points above home. My guess is that, coming from the Fusion, they'll both feel better and she may not be able to tell the difference with the IRS. However, I can't answer that question...she has to. So, sound advice: let her test drive them both. Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your insight.

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
Owner of a 2016 V6 and had a loaner Eco mustang for three weeks. After that three weeks i definitely made the right choice getting the V6. I prefer the linear power delivery of N/A over FI Eco. On paper the Eco has better mileage but real world driving (400 per week) the same route actually got same or less mileage from Eco. one tank of 87 and two of 93.

When to get rid of a car that is nickle/dime ya? My rule is if the repair costs half the value of the car it is time to start looking for another car.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I'd get her the V6 just because I think it's a stronger platform. And was less likely to have been abused. The V6 with an automatic transmission is practically unbreakable. Also nothing wrong with the S197. My daughter has been trying to kill a V6 for the past 3 years. And so far has been unsuccessful.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If she is not an "enthusiast" and only wants an auto tranny, then V6 all the way. I would probably choose a 6M EB simply for the performance potential but as a DD car, I think V6 is the easy choice (there are also a few 6M V6 S550's but fairly rare pony...and probably very close to performance of an older, 4.6 GT).

Dealer not far from me has a Race Red, '17 6M V6 listed at $19,908.....brand spanking new........a LOT of car for $20K.

Sponsored

PrimetimeKenny_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt- Mt82
Get the 15 because the IRS is a lot more forgiving on bumpy roads in the rain vs a SRA... I would also suggest getting an EB because most people do not rev out their cars, so the low-midrange would be very enjoyable for her. I am sure your daughter would prefer the more modern lines of the S550.

OP
OP

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Believe it or not, she says she likes the looks of the 13/14’s over the S550s. Regardless, she’ll test drive all 3 and we’ll go from there.
6M? Is that 6-spd manual? Those thigs are like unicorns!

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
If it were my daughter, I would factor in some of the safety features you can get with the EB Premium such as BLIS. No doubt you will make the best choice for your situation.

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
v6 Cheaper to maintain, and its the entry level trim.

Get the eco if:
A lot of highway driving (noticeably better mpg)
She wants to mod
Sponsored