Sponsored

New soon to be 2016 Mustang owner, But stuck on deciding between V6 or EB

StangsofMIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
soon to be Mustangowner
Hi, soon i will get a stang and the kid in me is excited to finally call one my own BUT im stuck. I wanted to get a ecoboost when they first came out in 2015 for the many options and packages that come with it but then when i started hearing all the issues (Heat displacement,smoking,engines blowing up). Im now leaning more towards the V6 since its a proven engine and less maintenance required. What im getting at is how are the 2016 EB and have they worked out the kinks or is the way to go V6? (obviously way to go is GT but financially i cant :shrug: ) p.s Thank you, new member noob questions.:ford:
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If you like the EB and leave it stock, it'll be just fine. I prefer the V6 for its sound and character, but the EB is a good engine.

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
Issues are a small minority. Don't get scared reading forum posts.Test drive both and pick the one you like best.

At the time when I bought mine, the EB motor was still made in Spain. They are made here now. Im a made in USA guy, so that was a big part of it. Non-issue today. Another consideration was to get full power on regular. I ended up tuning mine anyway so that didnt matter, but I do have that option. My last concern was carbon build up with DI engines. I'm not sure if that is really an issue with these but time will tell. I dont regret my purchase and I think the performance for the price is great. The V6 is very potent for the price and improves a lot with a tune. The EB will improve more with a tune.

Probably the biggest point for you will be available options. V6 doesnt have any really. The EB has basically everything available. I didn't care about options so it didn't bother me, I basically added what I wanted via the aftermarket.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
V6 with aftermarket exhaust will sound better.
The only problem is no premium option for the V6.

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
Another point is sound:

Do you want a revvy V6 that has a growl at idle, or do you like the blow off valve/whoosh noises of a turbo motor? Both sound good in different ways IMO. Watch exhaust and interior videos on youtube to help you decide before you test drive in person.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
V6 with aftermarket exhaust will sound better.
The only problem is no premium option for the V6.
The really crappy one was no performance pack option with the V6. What a fun car that would be (they know that, too).

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I would get the GT if you can find a way to swing it, but as you've said already you can't. I would then get the EB then. Later on if you decide to tune it, it will be almost as fast as the GT, plus it's lighter. The tunes on the EB are adding a lot of power.

I've seen quite a few EB's and people seem to love em. It looks like Ford is trying to usher out the V6 engine just based on the options they are giving. I think the EB is going to be the future and the V6 a thing of the past.

All that being said, I like the sound of the V6. So if you like the sound a lot, get the V6. And it's still pretty fast too.

EpicCeeMo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
I had to cross that bridge when all the Eco paranoia was running its course. The general consensus is that it's a small minority that's had the issues and allot of that is ppl doing dumb things and blaming it on the car. Common sense and maintenance goes a long ways.

End of the day the best advice anyone can give here has already been given, drive them both and make up your mind based on what makes sense to you and your needs.

I think that for the money the ecoboost hits a sweet spot in performance, and i look forward to tuning it later this year. But having said that I honestly didn't have a chance to drive the v6 it was only after I had bought my car that I realized what a steal the v6 coul be had in comparison. The extra money saved on my note would have allowed me to start putting more money into the car much sooner and I probably would be having more fun. But as mentioned already the v6 is a really limited car in term of premium options. So if you plan to keep things stock and just want a premium set up from the factory a ecoboost is where that starts.

OP
OP
StangsofMIA

StangsofMIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
soon to be Mustangowner
thanks for the inputs, The carbon build up was a thing i heard and also a car and driver story on EB losing power over time, i also live in south florida which is like 90 degrees with 80% HUMIDITY which i cant imagine is good for the turbo -__-

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
V6
Tune
Take off GT or aftermarket wheels.
Enjoy!

Sponsored

bay584

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
When I was lurking in the I-4 sub-forum, I remembered that most (if not all) Eco-Boom owners had 2015s explode on them. I do not have any facts to back this, but it is my opinion that the 2016s are not affected.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Here is a twist for the OP,you said you can"t afford a GT,how about you look for a used 2011-2014 GT, that way you get the sound,power and good looking Mustang, for the same or less $$ than a 4 or 6 banger. WIN<WIN for you.

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
I am one of the owners that had his engine blow and I still say get an ecoboost. Great power, fuel economy and features for the price. Tough to beat. Keep it stock and worst case Ford will cover an issues. It sucked when things went wrong, but looking good since and love driving the car everyday.

OP
OP
StangsofMIA

StangsofMIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
soon to be Mustangowner
I defiantly will Test drive both and hear the V6 in person, i know if i got the V6 only thing i wonder is the handling difference from the EB even though all have the independent rear suspension.