Sponsored

New soon to be 2016 Mustang owner, But stuck on deciding between V6 or EB

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I had a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 for a over two years which was a very fun car, very nimble and quick, I felt like the car was trying to kill me. I imagine that the Ecoboost is just a RWD version of my old MS3.
Its definitely not. I traded in a 13 MS3 for a 16 EB and they are totally different animals even when the engines are so similar. I miss the sound and sharpness of the MS3 but that car was very uncomfortable and FWD is really awful when you start pushing into 350+ hp. The 2.3L DISI also seems to be much more fragile. I think the k04 is larger than whatever turbo the EB uses and the power comes on all at once, that thing could get away from you quick if you weren't paying attention and I had to detune it significantly for winter. The severe understeer was particularly annoying, and while the mustang doesn't handle the best I've ever seen it sure beats pushing towards the outside of every corner like a steamroller.

To be completely honest, the ecoboost mustang feels almost identical to my old 2010 GT, just minus the off the line torque (and the amazing 4.6L mod motor sound).
Sponsored

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
If you don't want the premium features fine, but if you look at the infotainment section here, it's full of guys trying to upgrade stuff. Most features seem to be difficult or impossible to upgrade easily and inexpensively. Choose wisely grasshopper.

deweybc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost 6M Performance Package
I have a 2016 Ecoboost and PP with a Bama 93 Octane Tune and a Roush cold air intake and I've had no issues. I don't bounce off the rev limiter but I baby the car otherwise. I wouldn't worry unless you are a boy racer..

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Chiming in as a V6'er. I am probably one of the few Cyclone owners here (my build thread here: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54337) that put in decent IRS/suspension mods into a V6 on this site. I can say I love this thing and knew what I wanted before making the purchase. I love how this thing came alive after doing just the small amount of suspension mods (not to say it wasn't fun before!) I have done. I haven't even touched the engine/tune yet! I actually test drove the Ecoboost first and decided the V6 was for me (I preferred the powerband in the Cyclone much better). I say test drive both before making a conclusion. Lastly, I could care less about gadgets, screens, and luxury items etc.so the V6 was right up my alley because I wanted a stripper car. There is no such thing as "bad" engine in the S550 and YMMV.

DetroitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
To the OP? What options would you want on the ECO or V6? Now hear me out.. Just going by 2 months ago... Base V6 and ECO were 23K. V6's got up to 27K with options.. and ECO's got in the mid to high 30's with options. I got a base V8 for 29K. Yeah, the stereo sucks.. but the other bells and whistles I don't really care about or have replaced myself. I say if you are going to buy a base and leave it stock.. Then both the V6 or ECO would be fine. But if you are gonna dump a bunch of money on mods and void the warranty. Get a base V8. I couldn't be happier. Seems silly to me to spend anywhere close to base GT money on either.. but that's just my 2 cents.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Do the " just get the V8" people realize that with minimal mods an ecoboost will match or best GT power? And still get 30mpg highway.
Nothing more than a custom tune will net more torque than the GT. All in for $700.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Easy decision buy a V8..so 6 months from now you wont be saying" i should bought a V8".

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Do the " just get the V8" people realize that with minimal mods an ecoboost will match or best GT power? And still get 30mpg highway.
Nothing more than a custom tune will net more torque than the GT. All in for $700.
I like modding 4 bangers. They are very exciting.......waiting on what's going to break first?:D:cheers:

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I mean if mpg is an issue, ecoboost is for you....
In addition, DI carbon buildup, chance of mechanical failure, sounds like a civic. I looked up a Livernois tune, which is one of the most respected along with Adam, 437 ft lb of torque and 327 Horsepower. How is that 'matching gt power'

GT owners obviously isnt prioritizing cost and mpg. With this in mind, V8 with Twin Turbo from Hellion, or any of the supercharger setups? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

But yes for OP. get the 4 cylinder as it offers a premium package and more support in the aftermarket.

Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
The Ecoboost has the tuning allure to it. Are you a modder? The Ecoboost will pay vast dividends with minor tweaks. With about $1,500 in mods you can have close to 300whp and 400wtq. Don't care about any of that stuff then the V6 is the way to go.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
And what you think us just get the v8 guys are doing with our v8's, sitting around waiting for you 4 and 6 cylinder guys to catch up? No we are modding to so you'll never catch up!!!

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
There are plenty of reasons to buy a 4 or a 6 and I can see why people do but you will never get the sound and the heart throbbing 'feel' that you do with the V8!

EddieGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2012 Challenger SRT8, 67 Fastback
There are plenty of reasons to buy a 4 or a 6 and I can see why people do but you will never get the sound and the heart throbbing 'feel' that you do with the V8!
This...and the previous post. If you're buying for fuel economy, for the challenge of building up a turbo 4 cylinder or for the price of a base mustang, then great. But if you're going to buy a decked out ecoboost, then you might as well get a base GT. Most of the euro market that didn't buy the V8 is largely due to high import taxes, emissions charges and heavy mark-up. And as happy as they may be with their ecoboost, I've read hundreds of comments saying they wish they had the V8. And as far as the US market goes, same story. 9 out 10 would've preferred the GT. The V8 growl, the responsiveness of the 5.0, the multitude of exhaust options, the power capabilities as a result of modding; none of it matched by a V6 or 4-cylinder, at least not in a mustang. People chasing the muscle car feel won't achieve it with aesthetics alone; you need the V8. Just my opinion.

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
2015 EB Premium M/T with the 50th Anniversary Package here. I have 16,500 miles so far. I did a 400 mile round trip this past weekend (all highway) and the car performed very well. Temperature on the way out was about 93 F and sunny and 75 F and night time on the way back. Speed out was about 75-77 MPH and 80-85 on the way back. Fuel was regular. Overall mileage for the round trip was 31.4 MPG and I brought it to work this morning because it was still showing 60 miles to empty.

Some opinions:
1. I would not have a different powertrain in this car. For an open road car like this past weekend, or for rush and go, this is pretty nice. Some pickup truck drivers did not like me passing them on the way back and one stab of the pedal made the job ultra easy.
2. The PP package has 'summer' tires. While that may be okay in FL it is not a good idea here in MI. The A/S work very well with just one 'hum' at 65 MPH but nothing intrusive.
3. I like my car silent so the exhaust is stock and quiet.
4. You do not need to put premium in this car. I have run regular since the first day with about 3 tanks of premium along the way.
5. The non-PP suspension and brakes handles the highway just fine.
6. You can fit a lot of 'stuff' in the trunk of this car (non-convert). Grocery runs that used to require the trunk and back seat on my Focus now fit completely in the trunk on the Mustang. This weekend I did the above trip to pick up items from a convention; everything fit in the trunk and with the rear seats folded down the flags and other long items fit with ease.

This is a great road car for 2. If Ford made a 4-door version with RWD and a manual and called it a Torino I would probably have that!

Good luck on your decision but I would not hesitate to buy another EB Mustang...
Sponsored