Sponsored

De-tune a Coyote.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
It can be done super easily with hptuners, though not super-intuitive. In fact, I made a tune for my Whipple car that made it run just like stock in drive mode but unleash all the torque in sport mode.
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Ah! But that is what a supercharger is for :). A simple Vortech on the 5.0 will pump you up!
Very true! Although my poison of choice would be twin turbos but hey I'm kinda partial to my set up...

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
John George raced a Factory Five Daytona coupe with a Coyote from a F-150 but that was still too much power for the class. He used a SCT X4 tuner to reduce the power.

http://www.johngeorgeracing.com/wordpress/ffr48-car-setup/
SCT X4 handheld tuner, along with SCT Race tuning software. Custom tune files to meet hp/weight limits for class.

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
Personally, with the goals in mind, I'd go with a built pushrod 302. The power will be more than adequate, and you'll like working on it a lot more. Oh, and it would sound proper - to my ear, Coyotes sound kind of weird through side pipes.

My brother is building a Factory Five with Gen1 Coyote power. It's a tight fit in many spots.

(Me, I'd stuff a 521" 385-series BBF in it, but I'm a freak like that.)
this is the correct answer right here.

I love the coyote motor, but a windsor belongs in there. bump it up a little with a custom grind cam, some nicely ported heads and a performer rpm intake. set up properly you'll make 350-375hp without even going to a stroker kit. it's probably a cheaper route than coyote anyway

and let's face it, for the exhaust note, the windsor sounds a bit better than the coyote to my ears :D

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'd use the coyote. Limiting power can be as simple as limiting the throttle opening.

Or you could do it through torque management like Mike alluded to.

300 bucks for a MPVI dongle and HPtuners software.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
To me, the sound of a pushrod matches the look of a Cobra or Daytona more than the coyote, if that’s something the OP is taking into consideration.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Couldn't you use one of those third party throttle controllers and just remap it so its like 50% at WOT or something like that? Maybe I'm misunderstanding how they work...

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
honestly, seems like a tune would be a really easy way to do it... just set the redline down low enough where the power production is where you want it. shouldn't have to change anything else really. obviously it's not gonna rev out like a fully stock tune but it will easily be set to the desired HP level thru the rpm limit. I'm sure it gets much more complicated if you're wanting it to rev out like stock tune and probably would have to set limits on the throttle by wire settings. just what my my first thought, there might be some more elegant ways to do it so talk to a tuner is the best thing I could say.
^^This. I did this very thing when I gave my 2004 Mach 1 (with nitrous) to my 15 year old son. I had an SCT tuner and I went back to the guy that tuned it and asked him to lower the Rev limiter to 4K rpm. If you do this, don’t leave the tuner box where your son can gain access to it. That was the one thing that I failed to do. Three years later my son totaled out the Mach 1 (thankfully he just took out a wooden privacy fence and wasn’t injured at all). The car had 7K miles on it when I gave it to him and 38K when he totaled it. There was a blessing in all of this, in that my wife and I gave our son the entire insurance payout of $17.5K which he used to put down on his first brand new 2011 Mustang GT and didn’t require a co-signer. Several months later his time to enter the NAVY was upon him and the night before he left for boot camp, he approached me and said that he wanted to tell me something. Turns out that he had taken the SCT tuner box off of my closet shelf, loaded the tune with max power back for daily use and even flashed the nitrous tune and had been spraying the car occasionally. All I could do was laugh. Oh and on the day of the accident, he claimed he had hit a patch of black ice and lost control of the car. I rushed to the scene (arriving about 20 minutes later) and saw no sign of black ice anywhere. While I may never know exactly what happened to cause that accident, I thank God that he came out of it unscathed.

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
^^This. I did this very thing when I gave my 2004 Mach 1 (with nitrous) to my 15 year old son. I had an SCT tuner and I went back to the guy that tuned it and asked him to lower the Rev limiter to 4K rpm. If you do this, don’t leave the tuner box where your son can gain access to it. That was the one thing that I failed to do. Three years later my son totaled out the Mach 1 (thankfully he just took out a wooden privacy fence and wasn’t injured at all). The car had 7K miles on it when I gave it to him and 38K when he totaled it. There was a blessing in all of this, in that my wife and I gave our son the entire insurance payout of $17.5K which he used to put down on his first brand new 2011 Mustang GT and didn’t require a co-signer. Several months later his time to enter the NAVY was upon him and the night before he left for boot camp, he approached me and said that he wanted to tell me something. Turns out that he had taken the SCT tuner box off of my closet shelf, loaded the tune with max power back for daily use and even flashed the nitrous tune and had been spraying the car occasionally. All I could do was laugh. Oh and on the day of the accident, he claimed he had hit a patch of black ice and lost control of the car. I rushed to the scene (arriving about 20 minutes later) and saw no sign of black ice anywhere. While I may never know exactly what happened to cause that accident, I thank God that he came out of it unscathed.
sorry, i'm kinda laughin at the story cuz this sounds exactly like some shit I woulda done back in my day as well. :crackup::crackup::crackup:

glad he didn't get hurt

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
sorry, i'm kinda laughin at the story cuz this sounds exactly like some shit I woulda done back in my day as well. :crackup::crackup::crackup:

glad he didn't get hurt
For sure I would have done the same thing. My dad had a sportier car when I first started driving. The rule was I could drive it whenever I wanted but he had to be in the car with me until I was more than comfortable with how it behaved, handled, etc. I learned to drive in a 1988 Caprice Classic station wagon in the snow. If you can drive one of those boats in the snow (it was RWD), you can drive anything.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

glad he didn't get hurt
Same here. My dad found out at my wedding (from my best man) that I actually crashed his fourwheeler going way to fast around a corner. I was 17 when I crashed the 4 wheeler, and 29 when I got married. LOL if it was up to me, he would have never known.:rockon:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
For sure I would have done the same thing. My dad had a sportier car when I first started driving. The rule was I could drive it whenever I wanted but he had to be in the car with me until I was more than comfortable with how it behaved, handled, etc. I learned to drive in a 1988 Caprice Classic station wagon in the snow. If you can drive one of those boats in the snow (it was RWD), you can drive anything.
Truth. I have fond memories of going to empty, snow-filled parking lots with my Dad as a kid and learning proper control in a RWD vehicle, something everyone should do if possible. Which then led to drifting on snow covered roads once licensed, etc.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Truth. I have fond memories of going to empty, snow-filled parking lots with my Dad as a kid and learning proper control in a RWD vehicle, something everyone should do if possible. Which then led to drifting on snow covered roads once licensed, etc.
Yeah we were lucky, we lived closed to a couple schools with big parking lots that were empty on weekends. Practiced getting into and out of various spin out scenarios. Best thing I ever did when learning to drive and I agree everyone that lives in our type of climate should do it if they can. Harder to do though with all these 4WD/AWD SUV’s.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yeah we were lucky, we lived closed to a couple schools with big parking lots that were empty on weekends. Practiced getting into and out of various spin out scenarios. Best thing I ever did when learning to drive and I agree everyone that lives in our type of climate should do it if they can. Harder to do though with all these 4WD/AWD SUV’s.
Various store and school parking lots were all fair game back in the day. Frozen lakes as well.

I think it would still be valid now even with 4WD/AWD and the nannies therein, since they aren't infallible.

OP
OP

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
TO answer the question to why use a Coyote, Basically I would like to eventually ramp it up. I honestly think just limiting the opening of the throttle body would be about right, just so not to have too much.
Sponsored