De-tune a Coyote.

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
This might be the strangest question of the year, but bear with me. My son and me are considering building a Cobra or a Daytona and using a Coyote engine. Just the stock NA Coyote will be enough to power the car, I am considering detuning it to limit the HP in the beginning, around 200-250HP, especially for my son just to learn the car. Considering there will be no traction control, 400HP in a car that weighs the same as a Fiero would be exciting. Is it possible through simple programming using Forscan to limit the amount the throttle body will open, or is this going to be a major tuning operation like Lund?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you are using the 2015+ Coyote 5.0 and PCM control pack, depending on what you retain from the donor - you can do this using the My Key feature. It won't decrease HP, but it limits speed.

The problem is - any young inexperienced driver can wreck ANYTHING regardless of HP.

The absolute best thing you can do is enroll in a driver training sessions at some local tracks. You and your son will learn A LOT - and it's not just about HP or going fast. It's how to control the vehicle AND knowing it's limits.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You're going to need a custom tune for something like that.

Although I wouldn't really call this a "major endeavor". It will cost $800 and take about 20 minutes to install, most of that is just sitting around waiting for the tune to load. The hardest part of the whole thing would be plugging in the device into your OBD2 port.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I've always wondered why the auto manufacturers didn't offer a "learners' key" like I had on my jet ski. It could double as a valet setting or a setting for teenage drivers.

Speed, RPM, throttle position and ramp rate, whether distractions like infotainment are available, etc. All could be programmed in a second key or lockable setting.

I'm wondering if it doesn't have to do with some sortof attorney/legal concern that by having two "safety" levels they're not exposing themselves to suits/claims that the vehicle is unsafe.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I've always wondered why the auto manufacturers didn't offer a "learners' key" like I had on my jet ski. It could double as a valet setting or a setting for teenage drivers.

Speed, RPM, throttle position and ramp rate, whether distractions like infotainment are available, etc. All could be programmed in a second key or lockable setting.

I'm wondering if it doesn't have to do with some sortof attorney/legal concern that by having two "safety" levels they're not exposing themselves to suits/claims that the vehicle is unsafe.
Putting extra R&D into features like this which probably won`t really help sales is not feasible. Could also just be a money thing.

Plus there are a few manufactures that have features like this. I know the hellcats come with different power modes and keys.

Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
I know my suggestion is not going to be Coyote related, but with the HP goals you are wanting to achieve, the 87-95 pushrod 5.0 will put you right in the HP range you want and all with little to no real tuning.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

MyKey does offer some of that but I’m still reading about what limitations can actually be set.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I know my suggestion is not going to be Coyote related, but with the HP goals you are wanting to achieve, the 87-95 pushrod 5.0 will put you right in the HP range you want and all with little to no real tuning.
You read my mind. I was thinking the original 5.0 or even the 4.6L would work.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
This might be the strangest question of the year, but bear with me. My son and me are considering building a Cobra or a Daytona and using a Coyote engine. Just the stock NA Coyote will be enough to power the car, I am considering detuning it to limit the HP in the beginning, around 200-250HP, especially for my son just to learn the car. Considering there will be no traction control, 400HP in a car that weighs the same as a Fiero would be exciting. Is it possible through simple programming using Forscan to limit the amount the throttle body will open, or is this going to be a major tuning operation like Lund?
lets reframe the question:

we want to put a very expensive much more complicated engine in a kit car but it makes too much power so can you guys tell me if we can spend even MORE money to make it perform worse than the pushrod motor we could easily throw in that sucker?

find a pushrod 302 for your project, throw it in, and be happy saving thousands.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OP, I know your question is "can I detune an engine" basically. As others point out, yes you can.

But I would look at it another way. You are concerned for your son's safety, which makes sense. What parent wouldn't be? I would argue reducing the power is going to make the car much more dangerous to your son once you put the factory tune back in. At the point you retune the car to 400+ HP, he will be used to driving the 200 hp tune. That first flat out straight, he is going to run a higher likelihood of overcooking the corner, then overwhelming the non-ABS brakes. I have seen several new drivers do exactly this, including one in a C7 Corvette (Granted he had ABS, but it was wet out). Ran the car right into a wall of bollards, and I think he totaled the car. The driver could have easily just turned the wheel left and avoided the wall. He panicked because he was going way faster than he expected, and the grip wasn't there to stop him as he anticipated.

As Cobra Jet suggested, you ought to enroll him in some sort of driving school that will teach him the ins and outs with an instructor in the car, before any track time. I wouldn't limit the car.

Anyways, just my opinion. Opinions are like assholes, we all got 'em and...well you know the saying. I hope you come up with a good solution!

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
honestly, seems like a tune would be a really easy way to do it... just set the redline down low enough where the power production is where you want it. shouldn't have to change anything else really. obviously it's not gonna rev out like a fully stock tune but it will easily be set to the desired HP level thru the rpm limit. I'm sure it gets much more complicated if you're wanting it to rev out like stock tune and probably would have to set limits on the throttle by wire settings. just what my my first thought, there might be some more elegant ways to do it so talk to a tuner is the best thing I could say.

Gfswindle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10
My first though in the tuning process would be to use the torque limiting feature built within the PCM to control throttle angle and retain factory redline. Would be a good exercise for a tuner to play around with.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Personally, with the goals in mind, I'd go with a built pushrod 302. The power will be more than adequate, and you'll like working on it a lot more. Oh, and it would sound proper - to my ear, Coyotes sound kind of weird through side pipes.

My brother is building a Factory Five with Gen1 Coyote power. It's a tight fit in many spots.

(Me, I'd stuff a 521" 385-series BBF in it, but I'm a freak like that.)

Last edited:

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
I don't think the op intends to leave it detuned forever. Just while his boy gets used to it.
Ah! But that is what a supercharger is for :). A simple Vortech on the 5.0 will pump you up!
Sponsored