Sponsored

Dave Pericak speaks a bit about the Mustang's future

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I always take the discount plus my negotiation over any 0 percent interest program. I then finance through USAA 1-2% and pay off early. Next...
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I'm stunned at the replies here of people paying interest on their loans.

Ya'll know Ford does 0% on Mustangs in the fall, right?
Depends on when you do them and what the stipulations are. When I bought my car (January 2017) Chevy was offering 0% on 2016s. Since I was very specific about getting a Fifty SS Convertible, it had to be a 2017. The dealer couldn't give me 0%, so I told him I'd order the car and pay cash for it when it came. He really wanted to make the deal that day (Jan. 31st) so he proposed "what if I can make your actual payment the same as if you bought it at 0% at GM Discount price?" That's what they wound up doing. They reduced the price so that buying it at 2% over 6 years was the same payment as buying at the unreduced price at 0%. So rather than shell out $50k out of my pocket, I took their 2% money and let my money keep earning at the same 2.5 - 5% that it's been earning at. :champagne:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always take the discount plus my negotiation over any 0 percent interest program. I then finance through USAA 1-2% and pay off early. Next...
I have often thought about paying it off early, but as long as my money is earning more than 2% sitting where it is, I'm $$ ahead.

2017Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
When I grew up, people saw Mustangs as cool cars and many still do. Now there are many recent immigrants who don't care about cars, never grew up with a car culture and may have had more existential concerns than to be interested in cars..plus, im beginning to see a LOT of Americans that seem look at muscle cars, generally with disdain.. Different world for sure.
I agree with all of the above statements made in the chain, but if they really don't need a car, who can blame them? Performance driving will always be alive as a hobby, no matter what form it takes. Nothing will be able to take the place of our previous generations experiences and what has been passed down. If those people really don't want those cars, then let them live in their own fragment of society; more for cars and parts for us to tune mod and trade. One thing is clear though, if you're a V8 gearhead, buy your 5.0 now... cause it aint gonna be around for much longer. Possibly invest in 2 crate engines as back up to keep these classics alive. Yes I say there classics already because its a miracle these cars even came back as they are thanks to modern technology. Poor maro is already on its way out and there have been whispers dodge is finally changing direction as well.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with all of the above statements made in the chain, but if they really don't need a car, who can blame them? Performance driving will always be alive as a hobby, no matter what form it takes. Nothing will be able to take the place of our previous generations experiences and what has been passed down. If those people really don't want those cars, then let them live in their own fragment of society; more for cars and parts for us to tune mod and trade. One thing is clear though, if you're a V8 gearhead, buy your 5.0 now... cause it aint gonna be around for much longer. Possibly invest in 2 crate engines as back up to keep these classics alive. Yes I say there classics already because its a miracle these cars even came back as they are thanks to modern technology. Poor maro is already on its way out and there have been whispers dodge is finally changing direction as well.
Camaro is actively polling current owners about potential powertrain options for next gen, including hybrid and electric. The head of powertrain at FCA and their performance chief (Tim Kuniskis) have both said that FCA is focused on leading the domestic brands in electrification and that even performance vehicles will be electrified (not electric....electrified). I personally spoke with Tim Kuniskis and when he said that, I asked him if that meant Hemi would be electrified. He said "yes". He went on to say that "electrification is the new fuel injection". What he meant by that was when cars started to change from carburators to fuel injection in the mid-80s, there were a lot of people who expected that this would only apply to expensive cars. Now everything is fuel injected. Soon everything will have electric motor assist. Camaro and Challenger are more likely to be around than not. And that's a GOOD thing for Mustang. Steel sharpens steel.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Camaro is actively polling current owners about potential powertrain options for next gen, including hybrid and electric.
how do I get in on this action?

Steel sharpens steel.
If only we could slip a pamphlet introducing the novel new metal known as aluminum under the door of the Ford chassis department.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
FCA is focused on leading the domestic brands in electrification
I doubt it's really all that hard to do. Drive the generator off the crank either side by side or in-line with trans, 30-40kw pack, perhaps augmented with super-capacitor bank, and 100-150kw (120-200hp) worth of motors. In super-cruise or low speed start/stop use the battery. For everything else use ICE. Ford et. al. already have the "instant" start/stop engine control logic on the F150 and perhaps elsewhere.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
how do I get in on this action?

If only we could slip a pamphlet introducing the novel new metal known as aluminum under the door of the Ford chassis department.
They know all about it. They're using up their whole allotment on F150.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I'm stunned at the replies here of people paying interest on their loans.

Ya'll know Ford does 0% on Mustangs in the fall, right?
For 3 year loans sure.... Some can't afford that kind of payment even with no interest. In the rare event that they do offer 0% for longer terms it's incredibly difficult to qualify and the dealers are usually unwilling to work with you on price much. (Not to mention the fact that 0% eliminates any other incentives available)

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
For 3 year loans sure.... Some can't afford that kind of payment even with no interest. In the rare event that they do offer 0% for longer terms it's incredibly difficult to qualify and the dealers are usually unwilling to work with you on price much. (Not to mention the fact that 0% eliminates any other incentives available)
IDK about the dealerships you work with, but mine gave me around $7K+ off the car, every bit of my trade-in value (I had to stand-up and start to walk out, they initially offered far less), and 0% for 72 months. And FYI, only Toyota and Ford credit offer a true 0%, where the interest is built into the price of the car.

And I had bruised credit. Still, no problems. Easy peasy.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
V
IDK about the dealerships you work with, but mine gave me around $7K+ off the car, every bit of my trade-in value (I had to stand-up and start to walk out, they initially offered far less), and 0% for 72 months. And FYI, only Toyota and Ford credit offer a true 0%, where the interest is built into the price of the car.

And I had bruised credit. Still, no problems. Easy peasy.
VA dealers must be very different from Maryland dealers because my experience has been the opposite even with excellent credit.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
"He said if it’s a Mustang, it will be a Mustang and live up to the Mustang expectation. Remember that Ford feels the Mach-E lives up to Mustang expectation."
In other words, the Mustang as we know it is doomed.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
"Pericak was candid about Ford research that shows in-your-face quarter mile times may not be the be-all and end-all. Instead, he said there's a shift to focus on the performance "experience."

Exactly, dump the 10 speed and just give a stick shift option. Fewer options means lower cost.
Sponsored