Dash cam and mounting options?

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
It's difficult to do and to get everything lined up perfectly, but just touching it down with a corner or edge, not moving it in the slightest, applying firm pressure and then kind of rolling the item down flat whilst maintaining pressure gives the best chance of eliminating bubbles and leaving you with nice edges.
Right! My exact thoughts after I saw the result :). Definitely will try next time :wink:. Meanwhile I am going to try some acupuncture from the side or live with the imperfections as only an idea of removing it makes me feel uncomfortable :wink:.
Sponsored

jonesy67

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
V6
I use a Mercylion dashcam. Tiny, reliable, super easy to tuck behind the rearview mirror.
I mounted it behind the rearview mirror and ran the wires along the headliner, down the A-pillar, and into the fuse box for power, tapping into a circuit.

Last edited:

SpeedRacerXT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
mine's the garmin mini 2, only does 720p but worth it for $100 to me. Mount sticks on the windshield with tape, and I run the wires along the top trim/under the steering column to the usb charger thingy
I have the same thing and love it. Small and does what I want. I went with the power adapter that just connects to the rear view mirror.

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG M6 Mach 1 ordered. 12/1; Received 2/3
I'm looking into dashcams and it appears if you go to a unit with front and rear cams, you also get GPS and speed monitoring. In the event of a bad accident, I'm not keen on handing the cops/lawyer video that shows me going 8 mph (whatever) over the speed limit. Anyone else have this concern or experience?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Anyone else have this concern or experience?
I'm not sure they can just take that info willy nilly. I think you have to provide it to them.

But your phone also tracks your speed, so you have to worry about that in case you get in an accident where someone might come after you for damages saying you were driving too fast.

Sponsored

Geodudes550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
S550 2018 Mustang GT Premium
I've just got a cheap camera. I bought a Dongar adapter to hard wire into the adaptive cruise camera. Plug and play, very easy.
I second the Donger! Easiest set up I’ve found.

Geodudes550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
S550 2018 Mustang GT Premium

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I'm looking into dashcams and it appears if you go to a unit with front and rear cams, you also get GPS and speed monitoring. In the event of a bad accident, I'm not keen on handing the cops/lawyer video that shows me going 8 mph (whatever) over the speed limit. Anyone else have this concern or experience?
You can disable this in most camera settings or buy non-GPS mounts. The dual cams are not exclusively sold with GPS-only.
Here's a link to one I have and you can purchase without GPS mount (and later buy a GPS mount if you want).

After I've replaced my tint, the GPS in my mount stopped working (tint wasn't supposed to have an effect, but maybe it did affect it). Haven't really needed it, I don't review my footage for speed or draw on maps where I've been and it still powers the camera, so I don't mess with it.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
My BlackVue DR900X-2CH Plus died sometime during my car's service at Mayfield Ford. I had to order myself a 12v Cigarette Lighter adapter from BlackBoxMyCar so see if is the camera unit or the hardwiring kit.

Figured I'd spend $35.00 instead of going full tilt and spending like almost a grand on Camera + battery + LTE stuff.

To be honest, blackvue has been a challenge to get working correctly consistantly AND one always has that "energy drain anxiety" that comes with Parking Mode. If I do have to replace the head unit I'll probably get a battery pack that charges off ACTIVE power in the car and not CONSTANT power. This way when the battery pack is dead the camera is dead and won't continue to draw power from the car battery.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Just an FYI for any one looking to use this adapter, go check the back of your mirror before you order one.
My '18 EB Premium Convertible has a 16 pin connector back there.
Another quick update. I returned the 5 ping adapter and received the 16 pin one.
It is truly plug and play, however...
It is a considerably larger footprint than the 5 pin. It has the connector adapter very similar to the 5 pin but instead of a female USB plug it has an 8" wire that goes to a small adapter box with both USB and 12v outputs. If I were putting this in a car or truck with a headliner hiding it would be much easier. Using it in a convertible makes hiding the box and wiring more of a challenge. Some double sided tape an a couple of black zipties later and it's acceptable.
Sponsored