Sponsored

Crashed For First Time This Morning

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Iā€™m one county over from you and I gotta say these cops ainā€™t cuttinā€™ much slack these days. The countyā€™s bank accounts must be running thin. 4th July weekend I roll up to a country 4-way stop on 53 and as always, I stop completely. No question; heck I even saw Barney Fife stopped and fishing from the other leg of the intersection. I start off again normally and he hits the blues and engages hot pursuit mode. For a minute I thought there was gonna be a swat callout. Maybe we looked threatening, being 70+ and driving one of those dangerous Subie Ascents, IDK. Anyway, the deputy swaggers over and for a minute I was pretty sure he was gonna draw down on me. Turns out yeah, I came to a complete stop but my front bumper eased over the white painted balk line a little first. Not like I was hanging out in the intersection. If Iā€™d been driving one of my ā€˜stangs Iā€™d have probably found myself taking a ride.

I got stopped by GA SP on a south GA 2 lane road a few years back in my 3/4 ton Duramax pulling a 16 foot enclosed tandem trailer loaded with 2 Harleys, rolling 93 in a 45. And since my detector went off I was on the brakes, and the trooper called me on it. I politely fessed up, didnā€˜t try to BS him and he wrote me a warning. WTF is wrong with these guys anymore? They seem to have reached a new level of dickonometry.

OP, Iā€™m glad youā€™re allright!
[/QUOTE
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I was going a little too fast when those wide Nitto's went across the standing water in the low area of the hwy. I have driven many times in rain worse than this and driving a Mustang you learn to slow and be alert. This time I never even felt the car try and get grip. It was basically like being on ice once the car turned to the wall, heir was nothing I could do at that point. I am mostly disgusted with myself for letting it happen and not being more aware.
Sometimes we learn our lessons the hard way. Youā€™re fine, your car will get replaced and all will be well again. After seeing this many times over, I drive 45 max in major rainstorms.

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Nitto's are trash in rain. Glad you're ok, give it at least 2 weeks to see if any injuries show up prior to settling anything with insurance co.

black22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trigger
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
When my mazda was totaled, I was able to up the amount they offered from 3 to 5 k by insisting we kept it in good working order (which we did) and gave them receipts for maintenance in the last year, which included a receipt for a new a/c compressor for over 1k. Car had 270k, so we signed that offer as soon as it came back!

As for getting the parts off, the car is yours until you accept their settlement, and you can totally replace those aftermarket parts with the stock stuff, just can't take it off without suffering a hit to the total amount they give you.

This is how it worked for me in my state, anyways, YMMV.

OP
OP

2011KonaBlue

Konabluepony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I appreciate all of the replies, even the guy that let me know I was in the wrong LOL. I spoke with the insurance company and the towing place. I have their permission to go and retrieve what I need from the car. The insurance was only concerned about how long it was there due to the storage cost, so I will head over in the morning.

Sponsored

Highvolts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang 289
I appreciate all of the replies, even the guy that let me know I was in the wrong LOL. I spoke with the insurance company and the towing place. I have their permission to go and retrieve what I need from the car. The insurance was only concerned about how long it was there due to the storage cost, so I will head over in the morning.
Have it towed to your house if you have the space to avoid future storage costs. Glad you are OK.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
This time I never even felt the car try and get grip. It was basically like being on ice once the car turned to the wall, heir was nothing I could do at that point. I am mostly disgusted with myself for letting it happen and not being more aware.
Itā€™s a pretty helpless feeling. It happed to me passing through Virginia one time. Was under speed limit. Relatively new Michelin AS tires. I felt the steering go limp and that was it. All I could do is boat-steer enough to avoid opposing interstate traffic.

If itā€™s any consolation, the responding cop treated my situation like a fishing expedition too. I didnā€™t volunteer any actionable info so he thanked me by ordering a cash-only tow truck, which at the time, was pretty much like kicking me in the balls.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Really sorry to hear your plight OP. And as many have said the cop was a 5 star prick to charge you with 5 over in a situation where he did not clock you. I'd go to court and say you meant 70 Km/h because you were disoriented after the crash and thought you were driving in Canada :)

Hopefully your car gets fixed or you get a nice new ride soon.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
OP, I just noticed where you live. You probably got a ticket because State and local police have started a crackdown this week on speeding, distracted and wreckless driving. That's probably why you were ticketed. If it's just a 5 over speeding ticket then you should maybe consider yourself lucky as speeding in those conditions and causing an accident is pretty much the definition of wreckless driving. Not trying to get down on you because stuff happens, just thought that might explain why...
As for them giving you permission, that's pretty rich! It's your property right up to the point you sign off on the insurance company offer. They don't have a say in what you can do to or get from the car. At the very worst the towing company could require you to pay the tow bill and whatever storage charge has accrued it the day or so they have had it.

OP
OP

2011KonaBlue

Konabluepony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The ticket just says driving too fast for the conditions. He wrote out in the comments that I was going 70.

Sponsored

JnBama

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you are ok car can be replaced

OP
OP

2011KonaBlue

Konabluepony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
As stupid as this sounds, since I was fortunate and didn't get hurt, i t makes the pain of losing my car worse, because instead of dealing with injuries, I dwell on the car. I am working to replace it right now though. I am talking with a dealer about a Mach 1 non-track pack, anti-matter blue, with the PP2 style wheels. Not sure if I can get the price right or not, but I will give it a shot, who knows.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
As stupid as this sounds, since I was fortunate and didn't get hurt, i t makes the pain of losing my car worse, because instead of dealing with injuries, I dwell on the car. I am working to replace it right now though. I am talking with a dealer about a Mach 1 non-track pack, anti-matter blue, with the PP2 style wheels. Not sure if I can get the price right or not, but I will give it a shot, who knows.
If I were the guy to spend YOUR money, I would get the track pack. The Mach 1 with a track pack is a monster. Looking back, I sort of wish I went that route. As much as I hate that Ford recycled the name of a car meant to go fast in a straight line only :)

Let us know what you do!

OP
OP

2011KonaBlue

Konabluepony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The track pack really more my style, but a new one is in the 70's which is more than I want to spend. Although I have found 2 track pack versions with very low miles for around 60 but both are black. Black is hard to keep looking good.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Bummer man. Next time, don't get Nittos. As mentioned they really are shit in the rain. Cheap tires which have a much better word of mouth reputation with people who don't actually try a lot of the current good tires. Nitto's street tires are older designs which really aren't up to speed with the current tire technology that other manufacturers are using.

But I didn't come to rub it in about the tires. I came in to say - If you had valuable mods, you can ask about buying it back. Basically insurance will pay you a somewhat reduced amount, but you'll own the salvage and can deal with parting it out on your own time. It can be a lot of work, but you can come out ahead IF you had stuff in good condition that people will want to buy. I did that one time and was kind of surprised how much the insurance still paid.
Sponsored