Sponsored

COVID-19 Question.....................

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
More great information, Cab..thanks again.

Would you have to kill of us if you mention where in the E you are? <smile> I'll certainly understand if you'd rather not.
Would have to isolate you with no comm...for life. Will send a PM.

gmd2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
No, a cure. All of the original Chinese that brought it to Australia were free in 48 hours.

https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/cure-found-for-coronavirus-in-australia/3973564/
This is why I hate the media , the
Update: I cannot find the article that says 48 hours at the moment. But this different cure is in Japan.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china

upload_2020-3-20_7-53-18.png
The question, then, is if there is truly a cure, how long will it take to be made in quantity to matter?
The HIV drugs discussed in that article do not help most patients, a study was published yesterday from a randomized control trial of over 200 pts ( gold standard in scientific research) that showed they only reduced the duration of viral shedding from 15 to 14 days and a large percentage of patients had to discontinue the drugs due to the Severe GI side effects that all protease inhibitors cause . I will link the New England
Journal of medicine article not a gossip site .
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001282
Now there are two drugs that are being studied NOW that may lessen the severity and duration of the disease. The first is chloroquine a very old drug used to treat malaria. Chloroquine and an alternative version called hydroxychloroquine seem to work on viruses by inhibiting a process called glycosylation, a chemical transformation of the proteins in the virus’s outer shell that’s part of the infection process. Papers were published about it preventing cell cultures from being infected by SARS Corona 1 way back in that 2005 outbreak . We have plenty of this drug and it’s cheap , but the efficacy for SARS-Corona 2 the virus that causes Covid-19( Corona Virus infectious disease 2019) is not proven in human trials which are ongoing. There are multiple other antiviral drugs being studied that slow viral replication in various ways , and even human trials of vaccines have begun. Also people are trying to create synthetic antibodies from immune globulins created by those who have recovered from the disease which unlike the drugs discussed before can actually “ cure the disease” Lots of effort , time and money are being expended but everyone needs to realize a solution will not magically appear in time for the pandemic now ! We have to follow CDC recommendations, limit exposure , practice good hand hygiene, and social distancing if we are going to save lives this outbreak. We need to be careful of what we post as there is a ton of misinformation out there by well meaning people .
G

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Now there are two drugs that are being studied NOW
The Asians (SK, and I think Singapore) were using it some time ago. It's only USA that is only getting around to it.

Sponsored

gmd2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
The Asians (SK, and I think Singapore) were using it some time ago. It's only USA that is only getting around to it.
Yes people using drugs intended for other virus’s as a stop gap measure , and studying them for their actual efficacy are two different things.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The HIV drugs discussed in that article do not help most patients, a study was published yesterday from a randomized control trial of over 200 pts ( gold standard in scientific research) that showed they only reduced the duration of viral shedding from 15 to 14 days and a large percentage of patients had to discontinue the drugs due to the Severe GI side effects that all protease inhibitors cause . I will link the New England
Now there are two drugs that are being studied NOW that may lessen the severity and duration of the disease. The first is chloroquine a very old drug used to treat malaria. Chloroquine and an alternative version called hydroxychloroquine seem to work on viruses by inhibiting a process called glycosylation, a chemical transformation of the proteins in the virus’s outer shell that’s part of the infection process. Papers were published about it preventing cell cultures from being infected by SARS Corona 1 way back in that 2005 outbreak . We have plenty of this drug and it’s cheap , but the efficacy for SARS-Corona 2 the virus that causes Covid-19( Corona Virus infectious disease 2019) is not proven in human trials which are ongoing. There are multiple other antiviral drugs being studied that slow viral replication in various ways , and even human trials of vaccines have begun. Also people are trying to create synthetic antibodies from immune globulins created by those who have recovered from the disease which unlike the drugs discussed before can actually “ cure the disease” Lots of effort , time and money are being expended but everyone needs to realize a solution will not magically appear in time for the pandemic now ! We have to follow CDC recommendations, limit exposure , practice good hand hygiene, and social distancing if we are going to save lives this outbreak. We need to be careful of what we post as there is a ton of misinformation out there by well meaning people .
G
Well said!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=238556 is a good read. And another study on age breakdown.
https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

I am unfortunately not hopeful that the incessant drum of lunacy over this is stopped some time next week as govts actually look at the reality of the numbers and backtrack from their ineffectual policies. If you have to go to the hospital, you're already dead. Hospital overload is irrelevant and not a basis on which to formulate policy.

Last edited:

gmd2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=238556 is a good read. And another study on age breakdown.
https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

I am unfortunately not hopeful that the incessant drum of lunacy over this is stopped some time next week as govts actually look at the reality of the numbers and backtrack from their ineffectual policies.
And the CDC data shows 40% of those in US hospitalized with severe infections are under 55.... and almost half are health care workers . One of my residents has a 27 y.o. friend who is now on ECMO ( extracorporeal membrane oxygenation to replace his lung function ) . If you aren’t on the front lines putting yourself in harms way taking care of people every day and seeing the effects first hand , you need to sit down and shut up about lunacy of the response. The lunacy is people not responding enough . Selfishness and stupidity of many in this country astounds me.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
nd the CDC data shows 40% of those in IS hospitalized with severe infections are under 55.... and almost half are health care workers
citation? I don't doubt health care workers who work in highly aerosoled environments are getting infected. Absolutely sucks. But the current American "social distancing" policies aren't going to do squat. It just prolongs the economic damage and doesn't meaningfully change the doubling. We move the slider back 6 days? And then it just picks up where it left off.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
And the CDC data shows 40% of those in US hospitalized with severe infections are under 55.... and almost half are health care workers . One of my residents has a 27 y.o. friend who is now on ECMO ( extracorporeal membrane oxygenation to replace his lung function ) . If you aren’t on the front lines putting yourself in harms way taking care of people every day and seeing the effects first hand , you need to sit down and shut up about lunacy of the response. The lunacy is people not responding enough . Selfishness and stupidity of many in this country astounds me.
Yes, even better yet, a nice hot cup of it.

full.png

gmd2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
citation? I don't doubt health care workers who work in highly aerosoled environments are getting infected. Absolutely sucks. But the current American "social distancing" policies aren't going to do squat. It just prolongs the economic damage and doesn't meaningfully change the doubling. We move the slider back 6 days? And then it just picks up where it left off.
All the data is freely available on the cdc website , and I am getting briefings due to my position. I have to get back to work but I’ll leave this graph infections by age group and of ICU admissions and death in the US.

upload_2020-3-20_11-57-28.jpeg

Are you an infectious disease expert ??? , yes keeping people apart absolutely slows the exponential rate of growth . Why this is important is we do not have enough ICU resources and ventilators to care for 2% of the population at once , much less 20% ! If we do not flatten the qrowth curve physicians like myself will be asked to triage between Those who live and die just like they are in Italy. And it won’t just be 80 y.o.’s . This virus isn’t Ebola but it is 10 times more deadly than the flu and caused some of the worst lung damage I’ve seen even in young healthy adults who will survive.

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
G
Yes, what you have mentioned is all over the news. Plus, people are panicking way too much. They need to keep their head in the midst of others that are losing theirs. Share the toilet paper.

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
A cure? No. A therapy to alleviate the symptoms is more accurate. Chloroquine is the US focus now, it's a malaria drug that has positive side effects in the treatment of the effects of the coronavirus. Not a cure, more of a therapy.
So my wife the nurse says we should all be drinking tonic water. I think I’ll add a little gin and a lime too mine.