Couple of Random HPDE Questions

Discussion in 'Road Course, Track, Autocross, HPDE' started by PoppinJ, Jun 11, 2019 at 5:46 PM.

1. PoppinJ

PoppinJ Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT Premium
    0   0   0
    Question 1: Ive heard mixed opinions on running with the rear hood liner and battery cover removed to allow more airflow through the bay and help with coolant/oil temps. I've also heard that there is a high pressure zone at the bottom of the windshield that can actually force air into the bay instead of let it out. Anyone have any experience with it off? Any negative side effects of leaving the weather stripping off? Doesn't look like rain can get in.

Question 2: Anybody run HPDEs with the heater on? I've been getting really close to yellow on oil temps, cylinder head temps always Bellow 240 I believe. Since the windows are down anyways I figure I'll point the vents out the window. Won't help a ton, but sure cant hurt. Anybody else do this?

Question 3: I want to take a single spare tire, the OEM PP1 front. It will fit on both front and rear, however it's not wise to run different height rear tires on the rear due to the torsen differential. My current 305 / 30 / 19 are approximately .7 in shorter then the PP1 wheels. Difference of 25 fewer rotations per mile. That would be ok in a pinch for a 45 mile drive home wouldn't it?

Question 4: I'm going to have a FLIR camera out with me on Monday for the track day. Going to use it to look at the heat spread on the tires. Any other interesting things I should look at? I think the upper temp range is around 250 f.

Question 5: used to use track addict to measure lap times, but it seems to incompatible with my new QStar q818xt GPS puck. Switched to Harry's lap timer and it seems to work with the GPS but I really don't like the interface. I'll try it for the first time this Monday with OBD Link MX and the 818xt. Any other good options in case I don't like it? Middle of the dash towards the windshield a good spot for the GPS or have y'all had to mount it externally.

Question 6: Poll, you guys run with advancetrac completely disabled, track mode, sport plus mode, normal, or the sensor removal trick to disable advanceTrac? I usually run track mode but Im going to give advancetrac all the way off a try so im interested in any observations on track mode vs adcancetrac off.

Question 7: My backup camera does not work immediately coming off of the track. It seems to be heat related as after the car cools down it works fine. I'm assuming its a sensor on the tranny that tells the car its in reverse that is not functioning, because one time it worked intermittently after the first run but only with the clutch peddle pressed down, then didnt work after any other sessions. It happens every time now. Anybody else? What should I check to see if I can fix this?

Thanks if you made it this far.

2. OnTrack

OnTrack Active Member

First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT350 Ruby Red
    0   0   0
    I'll provide my thoughts.

1) I doubt this makes a difference in cooling, a good solution would be to ensure everything is taped off and sealed in the front end.

2) I have ran the heater in the paddock, but it will not help with cooling either. I don't think I'd fret too much if the head temps are 2450 coming off a 30 minute session run.

3) Drive home, it should be fine. Speed will be off if they are on the rear.

4) Depending on your camber settings, it going to show the outside of your tire hot since that is where your contact patch will be.

5) I wasn't a fan of either so I have no input, I have a AIM solo DL

6) Depends on experience and comfort level. Are you running slicks or normal street tires? Street tires will at least give some signals before giving out. I typically run with nannies off.

7) I haven't seen this issue, but if comes back I wouldn't be worried.

3. NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT PP
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    3) Spare - its a non-issue for the torsen. Bring your spare PP front.

6) Advancetrac - Track mode is far too twitchy on throttle response for good car control. Leave the it in normal mode if you need traction control, and leave it in Normal for the normal throttle map even if you turn TC off. If you’re very experienced catching slides before they happen, you’ll be able to go faster with it off, but Novice drivers should absolutely leave it on until you are 100% certain you wont loose it. (and then you probably still will)

7) Backup camera goes out on a lot of the 15-17 mustangs because the wire harness gets frayed in the truck (its not long enough). See your dealer about a repair if you’re still under warranty

4. OP
    OP
    PoppinJ

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT Premium
    0   0   0
    #4 PoppinJ, Jun 11, 2019 at 9:43 PM
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019 at 10:56 PM
    Thanks for the input. I agree the heater doesn't seem to do much. I've started running it on cool down laps thinking it would rapidly drop the temps... And it doesn't. I'm just figuring I'd leave it on during the whole session, can't hurt.

Camber is -2 Michelin PS4S. Definitely rolling over to far and I need some dedicated track tires.l, and prob up to -3 if I can get it.

Aim solo 2 seems to be the way to go, just another expense. Prob pick one up this winter before next year track season, along with another set of dedicated wheels and track tires.... Money

Backup cam now disables every time the car is super hot, only on track days. Works fine 30 min later as soon as the war is cooled off. Just makes backing up into the paddock a pain. Just wondering what sensor seems to be getting heat soaked.

5. DeltaMobile

DeltaMobile Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT PP2
    0   0   0
    5) AIM Solo works everytime.

6) It is real simple. If you are experienced, you should turn Advancetrac off. Otherwise leave it on.

6. kz

kz Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustangs & F150
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    With magnaride cars (not sure if OP has one) drive modes are unfortunately tied to suspension settings - and with Normal mode, it's way soft....

7. NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT PP
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Well thats unfortunate. You do want the shocks set on firm.

8. Venom52

Venom52 Active Member

First Name:
    Dean
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT350, 2018 Escape
    0   0   0
    As for engine heat i removed the ridiculous engine cover on my wifes 19. I also made sure there was no obstructions to the vents in the hood as little as they are they work some what. As diff heat just try to make sure you are using the cool down laps to keep airflow moving. If you cutting sessions short then just move off line. When using the heater make sure it's on defrost as they move the most heat. Aim solo 2 is i use and it's perfect once you get it set up correctly. As for rolling the tires over hard what are you air pressures and you probably need more camber.

9. DickR

DickR Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
    0   0   0
    FYI I'm 99% sure the A/C compressor runs in defrost.

10. HeelToeHero

HeelToeHero Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 GT PP, 05 focus st
    0   0   0
    Which runs the fan constantly on the rad. I've used this to further cool the car in the paddock.
    I wouldn't run the AC while lapping though...

11. OP
    OP
    PoppinJ

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT Premium
    0   0   0
    Pretty sure the fan is running coming off the track anyways. Agree A/C on the track is a bad idea. Cooled seats however......

I do not have magnaride, FP Track pack suspension setup.

12. HeelToeHero

HeelToeHero Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 GT PP, 05 focus st
    0   0   0
    Yes it would be if you're that hot.

That said, watch your temps in traffic on a hot day though. The car runs 5 to 10 degrees C warmer without AC running. The fans don't kick on until 105C (see https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/rad-fan-temp.39853/).

You can cool the car a little more in the pits by using the AC to force the fans on. Yes the AC puts heat load in the system but I still have observed the temps dropping. This isn't for "on track" it's to help cool down between sessions.

Probably splitting hairs, but I feel better heading back out with a car that is as cool as possible.

13. Cardude99

Cardude99 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ecoboost
    0   0   0
    I put it in track mode when I autox with advance Trac off, but if I were to do hpde I would likely stick to sport plus to have some assistance due to the higher speeds. Normal is not an option at all for a magneride car outside of daily driving.

bnightstar likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    PoppinJ

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT Premium
    0   0   0
    When I've run in sport plus mode I've destroyed my rear pads. I've melted through track pads with that setting, so I'll only do sport plus if it's mixed conditions or heavy rain or something. Track tends to be mostly ok, it only freaks out on huge elevation changes, like going over a sharp hill I can feel it cut power. It may be doing more that I'm just not aware of. Track mode does not seem to eat my rear brakes up though.

Flyhalf likes this.
  15. Flyhalf

Flyhalf Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1
    0   0   0
    IMG_20190210_122822_864.jpg IMG_20190519_141639_638.jpg

16. Cardude99

First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ecoboost
    0   0   0
    I'll risk a set of pads over the whole car. Especially when I'm new at it. i have a very agressive style and would appreciate traction and stability control while I learn how to drive on a fast track should I ever go to one.

17. Flyhalf

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Track mode still keeps 20-25% of TC and stability.
    I found out i was much safer on the track with track mode more than sport .
    Sport was intervening so many times that I couldn't predict ..it was dangerous IMO

18. Cardude99

First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ecoboost
    0   0   0
    Really? I thought track mode turned them all off?

19. Flyhalf

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    That is advance track mode
    :)
    I did like you. I said. I want sport cause I'm aggressive .Then i lost the rear brake and i understood the trackmode is better :)

20. Ewheels

Ewheels Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT PP1, 2009 CBR600RR
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Track mode is simply reduced TC. There is still some. You can hold the switch down to completely turn TC off but the car can still turn it back on if it thinks the car is in a dangerous situation. This is why people just pull the fuse or plug so it stays off.

Cardude99 likes this.