Cordless Impact driver

mangosmoothie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Boolet
Pretty much any modern impact will work fine for lug nuts. I have both M12 and M18 milwaukee tools. I like the M18 mid torque because it's pretty strong for it's size, but overall prefer the M12 line. The only reason I have M18 is because HD had a ridiculous sale that included a M18 1/2" impact/battery/charger and a 3/8" ratchet/battery/charger.

The M12 should be strong enough for lug nuts. TTC tested it at 200+ ft lbs of force in reverse. When a fastener is torqued, it takes less torque to remove it. Depends on pitch and stud size but say you fasten a lug nut to 200 ft lbs. It may only take 150 ft lbs to remove it. Even the M12 stubby should do majority of what you encounter. It also has an auto stop feature for fastening that stops at 25 ft lbs so you don't over torque or cross thread stuff if you want to fasten with the impact.

There are a lot of nice M12 tools - they're small and compact. I've got a hackzall, Fuel multi tool, Fuel 1/2" drill, 3/8 ratchet. I'm going to add a M12 stubby 3/8 and M12 right angle impact
Sponsored

OP
OP
S550VIN54

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Pretty much any modern impact will work fine for lug nuts. I have both M12 and M18 milwaukee tools. I like the M18 mid torque because it's pretty strong for it's size, but overall prefer the M12 line. The only reason I have M18 is because HD had a ridiculous sale that included a M18 1/2" impact/battery/charger and a 3/8" ratchet/battery/charger.

The M12 should be strong enough for lug nuts. TTC tested it at 200+ ft lbs of force in reverse. When a fastener is torqued, it takes less torque to remove it. Depends on pitch and stud size but say you fasten a lug nut to 200 ft lbs. It may only take 150 ft lbs to remove it. Even the M12 stubby should do majority of what you encounter. It also has an auto stop feature for fastening that stops at 25 ft lbs so you don't over torque or cross thread stuff if you want to fasten with the impact.

There are a lot of nice M12 tools - they're small and compact. I've got a hackzall, Fuel multi tool, Fuel 1/2" drill, 3/8 ratchet. I'm going to add a M12 stubby 3/8 and M12 right angle impact
I really like the size of the stubby and feel it will be handy for other jobs too. Thanks!

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
The M12 should be strong enough for lug nuts. TTC tested it at 200+ ft lbs of force in reverse. When a fastener is torqued, it takes less torque to remove it.
That's not correct - breakaway torque on most joints is typically higher than tightening torque.
While I love the stubby M12, it takes a bit at times to get lugs off (and I have anti-seize on threads which lowers thread friction) - would go for mid-torque if that was my only impact.

Cordless ratchet is about the most useful tool ever, especially if someone works on cars - I have two M12 ones - regular one and the extended reach one. Strongly recommend.

Also - OP - don't forget to get a set of _impact_ sockets.

mangosmoothie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Boolet
That's not correct - breakaway torque on most joints is typically higher than tightening torque.
Weird how when this nut torqued to 200 ft lbs on a stud, breakaway is 150. 03:45

to explain further pitched threads act like an inclined plane - tightening is "uphill" and loosening is "downhill" so it's generally significantly less. Unless there's corrosion involved.

Last edited:

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Weird how when this nut torqued to 200 ft lbs on a stud, breakaway is 150. 03:45
Try on something that has been torqued for a while. It's simple physics - thread gets dirty, seizes - it's friction, nothing more.
I deal with bolted joint at work, requiring very precise torque numbers that no one uses impact wrench on ever, so trust me, I have some experience.

JG M1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1965 Unique Cobra Replicar
I guess I'm old school, I still use air impact or by hand to remove!

Oh well .....

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Also - OP - don't forget to get a set of _impact_ sockets
Just a side question. The impact sockets are perfectly fine to be used with the manual torque wrench, they are just strengthened to handle the impacts?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a side question. The impact sockets are perfectly fine to be used with the manual torque wrench, they are just strengthened to handle the impacts?
yes of course. they are made of a different material and/or heat-treated so less likely to shatter.

wadewolf76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang coupe, 21 Twister Orange GT premium
I guess I'm old school, I still use air impact or by hand to remove!

Oh well .....
I use an air impact most of the time myself but cordless is very convenient in some situations.

Sponsored
OP
OP
S550VIN54

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Most definitely. I have seen a few wrench sets that come with them. Thanks for the reminder!

StangersInTheNight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
Milwaukee 2767 1/2". Have to be a little careful. If you've got a nut that is cross threaded or rusted tight, this can twist the stud off. And always hand tighten/torque. This goes to the track with me.

IMG_2456.JPG

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I had the milwaukee mid torque but sold it and bought the high torque after the mid torque failed to remove lugs a few times. May have just been a low battery though on the mid torque. The high torque works great.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I had the milwaukee mid torque but sold it and bought the high torque after the mid torque failed to remove lugs a few times. May have just been a low battery though on the mid torque. The high torque works great.
It does depend on battery charge and even capacity (at least this is true for M12)