Cooling upgrades worth it?

UTAR15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Prem
I have a 20 GT A10 non-PP car. I am going to be taking off the front end and bumper to do a grille upgrade/swap. It got me thinking that maybe I ought to do some other upgrades while am there which leads me the the topic question - what cooling upgrades are worth doing?

I mostly drive the car around town/freeway but like to do canyon runs and HDPE when I have time. Both tranny and motor get hot but nothing too bad. I also wasn't doing the above during summer but might this coming summer and Vegas summers are brutal, even at night.

Was thinking of doing the performance pack radiator swap as it's not much money and straightforward swap. Would transmission and oil cooler upgrades be worth doing too or are the stock ones up to task? I don't want to just throw money at and not get more if I don't need it. Also, figured I should do the active shutter delete if I move to PP radiator and/or other cooling mods.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
the trans will start to overheat after 15 mins with a good track workout. extra cooling is a must. most of the guys that run the 10 speed auto have upgraded the cooling on both the trans and eng. and a few of us have included cooling the diff as well

OP
OP

UTAR15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Prem
Thank you for that link. Huge resource!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You can remove the grille shutter assembly(but leave the motor plugged in to avoid any DTC's), that will keep your car cooler at all times and is how the PP cars are by design. I did a PP radiator swap on my base, it kinda sucks to do but I think it was worth it since I live at elevation. I used to see CHT go over 230 running hard up hill, now it rarely gets over 220. Worst CHT I ever saw with the PP rad is climbing out of death valley (which is from -200 to several thousand feet), stuck behind slow traffic. I think it got to 227? Which is still perfectly fine.

The stock A10 trans cooler IMO is more than good enough, especially with shutters deleted. Except maybe for track use. But these cars need airflow more than anything.
Sponsored

Last edited: