Sponsored

Cooled seats not cooling

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
I was wondered too if the actual ac temperature has anything to do with the temperature of the seats or are they completely independent of each other?
They work independently but one reason the bottoms seem to work so much better is because they can breathe and will get even colder if you also set your ac to blow on the floor. The backs have no chance with the default design. Sounds like the TSB sucks as well.

I'm waiting for more results before having mine looked at. I still have my mod in and it seems to be working better than what everyone else is reporting that got the TSB. I really don't like anyone touching my car if I can help it.
Sponsored

lwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th
Dropping mine off tomorrow morning (Thursday). Parts are there. I don't see any way it could be worse.

ctlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Prem/201A/Auto/Guard/Saddle/Spoiler del.
They work independently but one reason the bottoms seem to work so much better is because they can breathe and will get even colder if you also set your ac to blow on the floor. The backs have no chance with the default design. Sounds like the TSB sucks as well.

I'm waiting for more results before having mine looked at. I still have my mod in and it seems to be working better than what everyone else is reporting that got the TSB. I really don't like anyone touching my car if I can help it.
It appears the seats were designed for use in a four-door car that had heat/AC ducts under the front seats for the rear passengers. It would make a big difference that the four-door car would have the seat fans pulling conditioned air.

ctlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Prem/201A/Auto/Guard/Saddle/Spoiler del.
My 2015 Challenger pushes better air than the Mustang. So far I have noticed, the back doesn't heat up like the Mustang either.
Confirming my theory, cars.com says the 2015 Challenger SXT Plus has underseat ducts. Thus, your seat fans are flowing conditioned air over the thermoelectric devices.

Cars.com says the 2016 Camaro lacks underseat ducts.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Dropping mine off tomorrow morning (Thursday). Parts are there. I don't see any way it could be worse.
My dealer seems pleased I cancelled. He told me he doesn't like taking interiors apart, it doesn't always go well. That was my concern. If they are not going to fix or help the cooling, I didn't want them taking the seats apart.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Well I got my car back and I can't really feel much difference after they installed the new blowers. Even the technician that replaced them said he couldn't tell any difference. I turned the AC down to 65* for my 20 minute ride home from the dealer, had the seat cooler on high. I was freezing, my butt was cold but my back was comfortable (not hot, not cold).

I really don't think I can give it a fair evaluation until it gets warmer again but it isn't encouraging that my butt was cold so that was working my I couldn't feel cool on my back at all. Maybe it will be different in the summer. I will wait until then and hope in the meantime Ford figures this out or it somehow seems ok in the summer heat.

embraceentropy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I got my car back today from having this TSB fulfilled. I can definitely say it is no worse than before. Sporadically, I feel cool air on my back, but overall it is the same as before and about 30% better sometimes. At least it didn't get any worse, as some have reported...yay ford...

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Has anyone seen the "snorkel" that is in the TSB fix kit? Is it hard with some kind of cloth insulator over it, or is it some kind of cloth "sock" that is supposed to draw cool air from beneath he seat? I'm hoping is has some rigidity to it, or it's probably not going to flow very well.

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
Has anyone seen the "snorkel" that is in the TSB fix kit? Is it hard with some kind of cloth insulator over it, or is it some kind of cloth "sock" that is supposed to draw cool air from beneath he seat? I'm hoping is has some rigidity to it, or it's probably not going to flow very well.
I was going to ask the exact same question. If there is nothing protruding out of the bottom of the seat above the flap to suck in cabin air then I will not be getting this one!

yessirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Convertible
I got the TSB done last night. I will try the seats on my way home today. I thought I could feel a little more cooling last night but did not have enough time to tell for sure. Bottom still cooled well.

Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Am I mistaken, or wouldn't it be even more important to snorkel the rejected heat away from the area? I mean, you can cool hot intake air, that's no big deal. But if the hot reject air is stuck in the seat back area, there's not going to be a lot of cooling going on. I thought that was the essence of the original problem. If this TSB simply adds an intake snorkel, they missed the ball.

DB23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T 200A Auto Ingot
The new intake is a sock and it's filled with the same foam that the air in the seats flows thru before exiting the perforations. So it has a little rigidity to hold its shape at the expense of not being an open tube to maximize inflow of air. It sticks out slightly beyond the bottom seat flap. I actually undid one of the elastic cords on my seat flap because it seemed it was so tight it was flattening the sock. With one elastic cord connected the flap is still held up well enuf while not crushing the end of the sock, seems to me it works a bit better cooling since I unhooked the 1 strap.

As for the exhaust, the new unit has a deflector around it that is supposed to push the hot air up to the perforated seat backs instead of it absorbing directly into the lip of the map pocket like it was. The hot spot on the seat back is gone at least.

As I've said b4, overall the fix is a slight improvement, for the back to really work well I think you'd need a hard seat back with louvered/screened vents built in at the closest possible points for intake and exhaust.

lwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Got mine back around 6PM last night. It was really cool out so I could not give it a fair assessment. But I can say, the back did not get hot on my 20 mile ride home from the dealer.

It will be close to 80 out today, not quite the same as a few weeks ago when it was 101 outside, but maybe I can tell something about it.

The SA said the tech told her that he did a 15 minute test drive after the retrofit and could tell "a big difference"...... hmmmm, we'll see.

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
The new intake is a sock and it's filled with the same foam that the air in the seats flows thru before exiting the perforations. So it has a little rigidity to hold its shape at the expense of not being an open tube to maximize inflow of air. It sticks out slightly beyond the bottom seat flap. I actually undid one of the elastic cords on my seat flap because it seemed it was so tight it was flattening the sock. With one elastic cord connected the flap is still held up well enuf while not crushing the end of the sock, seems to me it works a bit better cooling since I unhooked the 1 strap.

As for the exhaust, the new unit has a deflector around it that is supposed to push the hot air up to the perforated seat backs instead of it absorbing directly into the lip of the map pocket like it was. The hot spot on the seat back is gone at least.

As I've said b4, overall the fix is a slight improvement, for the back to really work well I think you'd need a hard seat back with louvered/screened vents built in at the closest possible points for intake and exhaust.

All they have basically done is isolate the intake from sucking in any exhaust air. The recirculating of the exhaust is what was causing the overheating.

I'll definitely be passing on this "fix". :frusty: My way works the same as what they did but also pulls in unrestricted air from the cabin. If I had their fix I would try to remove the foam from the sock and add a stiffer tube.

I've been running mine for months this way and the exhaust air that can't escape the seat doesn't matter as long as it the intake can get cabin air.

lwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Well, about the only difference I can tell is that the back is not getting hot and hotter as I drive. I guess that is marginal improvement, at best.

However, the back still does not cool anything like the bottom.
Sponsored