Logan1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2018 Ecoboost Mustang Base model w- Manual so no drive mode selection. My biggest complaint was the part-throttle lag; very little boost unless I went full throttle.

I purchased the Cobb Stage 2 Kit a couple weeks ago and installed the Stage 1 tune first, followed by the CAI, then finally the intercooler and Stage 2 tune.

Stage 1 tune - much improved part-throttle response, dramatic increase in low rpm torque, and slight improvement in upper rpm power but still fell on its face around 6K.

Stage 1 tune + CAI - no noticeable improvements in torque or power over Stage 1 tune but the intake, air/turbo spool, and blow off valve noises are very loud; almost annoying.

Stage 2 tune + CAI + intercooler - no noticeable improvements in torque but pulls much stronger in upper rpms.

My only complaint (other than the intake noises) is how the air filter is installed / attached w- the CAI. I don't like that the intake tube has to be lowered while air filter is angled / installed and the process is reversed for removal; the intake tube being attached to a fixed bracket on the engine only adds to the awkwardness.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the quality, fit, finish, and everything was fairly easy to install.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Logan
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Good review man, thank you for posting. The more I read this stuff the more I want a tune. Must fight the urge to destroy warranty

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Ecoboost Manual Performance Pack
I just gave into the urge and went full bolt-on (all CP-e parts) and step colder spark plugs plus Cobb AP and custom tune by CP-e.

Loving it.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
P.S. wish I had magneride
It's a rare feature for an ecoboost. I love it, does exactly what I want it to do. I would get it again in a heartbeat.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Logan1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
What is giving you the perception of lag? Does it not feel torquey or are you just going off the boost gauge?.
The part throttle lag sensation is similar to when traction control is activated and/or timing is being pulled i.e. the car is accelerating but not very smooth like it's fighting itself.

My best guess is that Ford plays with timing, fuel, throttle position, and wastegate activation (or some combination of the four) in part throttle situations to maximize fuel efficiency.

The tune fixes about 90% of this issue.

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Ecoboost AT PP every option.
It's a rare feature for an ecoboost. I love it, does exactly what I want it to do. I would get it again in a heartbeat.
Ive got magnaride as well, fully loaded PP AT10 with group 201a.
I wanted the magnaride and didnt think I would find it but when I went to my dealer they had one, that I got, that wasnt listed on their web inventory.
Ive got nothing to compare it to but I have to say the ride and handling are spectacular.

TaysonGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I feel stage one is much faster in the lower gears and rpm's. It feels much quicker to accelerate whereas stage 2 feels like it steadily builds power then really starts to pull once I hit about 50mph. To me stage 1 is much better for low end power while stage 2 is much better for high end power. Also stage one feels like it has much more torque. I tested both with a roush cai and a cvf street intercooler. Anybody else have a similar experience? I honestly prefer stage 1.

93coupe/stroked

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost base auto metalic
My next time at track I will be testing Cobb stage one 93 octane with a Mishimoto intercooler looking for low 13:0's in my 2020 base ecoboost. stock with Cobb stage one 93 octane, drop in filter I went 13:24 at 104.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
My next time at track I will be testing Cobb stage one 93 octane with a Mishimoto intercooler looking for low 13:0's in my 2020 base ecoboost. stock with Cobb stage one 93 octane, drop in filter I went 13:24 at 104.
Low 13's on a 93 tune is really solid performance! I'm hoping for 13.xx with my heavy pig.

Sponsored

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
i ran a 12.79 on 93 stage 2. as far as OP's comparison between stage 1 and 2, you could add est hp/tq to AP parameters and do pulls on stage 1 and stage 2 on the same day and see which has higher. I did notice higher hp/tq #'s on stage 2

Timmonsxp1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost premium
I feel stage one is much faster in the lower gears and rpm's. It feels much quicker to accelerate whereas stage 2 feels like it steadily builds power then really starts to pull once I hit about 50mph. To me stage 1 is much better for low end power while stage 2 is much better for high end power. Also stage one feels like it has much more torque. I tested both with a roush cai and a cvf street intercooler. Anybody else have a similar experience? I honestly prefer stage 1.
I prefer stage one. I ran S1 for a long time until I decided to upgrade to a catless downpipe.
I have way More top end it feels but I miss the lower end torque and pull. I'm currently on stage 3.

CAI
Intercooler
Downpipe
Stage 3

shinoda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost HPP
I prefer stage one. I ran S1 for a long time until I decided to upgrade to a catless downpipe.
I have way More top end it feels but I miss the lower end torque and pull. I'm currently on stage 3.

CAI
Intercooler
Downpipe
Stage 3
Which catless downpipe are you running and any fitment/CEL/smell issues?
Sponsored