Sponsored

Cobb Stage 2 help

Jonahbonah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Hey everyone,

I just got down installing my new intercooler from MA Performance on my ecoboost. I have previously had the stage 1 tune on for about a week, but once the install for the intercooler was done, I uploaded the stage 2 map.

Honestly, I'm disappointed in the performance of stage 2. I waited for the octane adj ratio to reach -1.00, but after that when I did a couple pulls, it seemed like the car was much faster in stage 1. The Cobb ap3 was reading about 345-395 torque in stage 1 and is now reading 325-345 torque in stage 2 depending on the pull. If I'm in first or second gear it will actually barely read 265ish torque... pretty disappointing.

The mods I currently have are a roush axleback, map intercooler, mishimoto catch can. I know for stage 2 Cobb suggests a full intake, but I was reading that the stock intake is actually much better power wise, so I don't believe this would affect it. Other than the intake, I meet the requirements for stage 2.

I'm really considering just going back to stage 1 with the intercooler still on since it felt faster. Does anyone know what the problem is with the stage 2 map?
Sponsored

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
Hey everyone,

I just got down installing my new intercooler from MA Performance on my ecoboost. I have previously had the stage 1 tune on for about a week, but once the install for the intercooler was done, I uploaded the stage 2 map.

Honestly, I'm disappointed in the performance of stage 2. I waited for the octane adj ratio to reach -1.00, but after that when I did a couple pulls, it seemed like the car was much faster in stage 1. The Cobb ap3 was reading about 345-395 torque in stage 1 and is now reading 325-345 torque in stage 2 depending on the pull. If I'm in first or second gear it will actually barely read 265ish torque... pretty disappointing.

The mods I currently have are a roush axleback, map intercooler, mishimoto catch can. I know for stage 2 Cobb suggests a full intake, but I was reading that the stock intake is actually much better power wise, so I don't believe this would affect it. Other than the intake, I meet the requirements for stage 2.

I'm really considering just going back to stage 1 with the intercooler still on since it felt faster. Does anyone know what the problem is with the stage 2 map?
Yeah your wasting your time with stage 2 it was designed to only work with Cobb parts. Either stick with stage one or upgrade to a pro tune. It's the only way you will take advantage of your bolt ons

OP
OP
Jonahbonah

Jonahbonah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Yeah your wasting your time with stage 2 it was designed to only work with Cobb parts. Either stick with stage one or upgrade to a pro tune. It's the only way you will take advantage of your bolt ons

Okay thanks. I'll reverse back to stage 1 and will most likely go to tune+ in a couple weeks!

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
[MENTION=28932]Jonahbonah[/MENTION] One quick question: How do you measure torque using the Accessport? Is there a specific data monitor for that? I also need this info in order to see the impact of each mod on my car performance. Thanks

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
@Jonahbonah One quick question: How do you measure torque using the Accessport? Is there a specific data monitor for that? I also need this info in order to see the impact of each mod on my car performance. Thanks
When I had the accessport for my MS3 it had a section for logging that had some kind of estimated dyno thing on it. You picked the gear and speeds to start/stop at.

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
You also want to make sure your transmission is tuned with the PCM as well. This is an added charge to pro-tunes but comes with the Ford Performance tune. Cobb does not include it on their off the shelf tunes which makes no sense, and is one of the reasons why their dyno graphs are deceiving. Ambient temps, humidity, engine heat and inlet temps, and built in PCM nanny's that retard power all skew their graphs so there is always greater difference between stage 1 and stage 2 results. Real world power output, acceleration characteristics, and drive-ability are not shown on their graphs.

It took me about 2-3 months on here to wise up about having a pro tune done. It would even be better for you to have it locally done in a garage that has a dyno. Pricey, but a little more piece of mind that it's more tailored to your environment and hardware so you don't blow a hole through your block.

This is one of many reasons why I went with the FP tune. Transmission schedule updated, likely more shifting pressure, and they also don't BS you on the added power gains. After 36k though, I will likely take it over to my local tune shop to get the inter cooler and dyno tune done.

Last edited:

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I had similar mods as you when I used Cobb Stage 2 OTS map (CPE IC and Cobb drop in filter). It felt stronger for me and the boost went up to ~26.5 PSI. Also log your charge temps as it plays a big factor. Was the ambient temperature cooler when you were using the Stage 1 map?

thanassis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I am using Cobb OTS tune 93 stg2 and I have K&N panel filter and Mishimoto intercooler. Whichever brand air filter and intercooler you have, it should work. If not you have to look for the issue.
eg: if octane adj ratio is not near to -1, you have to fill with better fuel

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Thanassis I am installing the cp-e DeltaCore intercooler tomorrow. I already have the MBRP Race exhausts on the car. I will try Cobb Stage 2 map and will post my impressions in this thread.

Sponsored

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
According to the documentation the stage 2 map is rated to peak at 24.5 PSI and taper to 20 PSI at red line, granted you can over boost or under boost a little based on temp and humidity (hum being the killer).

I have a similar setup as you, using the stock airbox because if you look at it with the stock turbo, the tube at the box diameter is around 4" then it tapers down to the turbo inlet, Other than filter design the stock box is actually pretty decent, has better direct cold air flow with its air duct etc.

Ill have to test it but I tend to agree my car felt more torqy on the stage 1 93 OTS (401) on my 16 EBM than stage two. I reverted back to stock from my MAP big turbo kit waiting for the next drop in turbo upgrade from Turbonetics, but I have lifetime tuning with Tune+ just waiting to update my maps.

iEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Ecoboost Performance Pack
I just went Tune+ a couple weeks ago. Coming from a Cobb OTS Stage 1, the Tune+ makes the OTS Tune look like butt. This thing gets off the line soooo much faster and even chirps the tires in 2nd and 3rd. I'm FBO after I install my downpipe this Saturday, so even mooooore gains.

TaysonGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally felt that Stage 2 has better top end power. It definitely pulls harder in the higher RPM's and gears but Stage 1 feels better for low end power. If I was racing I'd go with Stage 2 all day but for daily driving Stage 1 feels better.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I personally felt that Stage 2 has better top end power. It definitely pulls harder in the higher RPM's and gears but Stage 1 feels better for low end power. If I was racing I'd go with Stage 2 all day but for daily driving Stage 1 feels better.
I read this over the last 2 years, stage 1 is what people generally like for DD. they compare it to ford perf. 2/3 more upper grunt, but I guess I never experience that, as im usually going 0-70 real quick thats the limit to my fun.

TaysonGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I read this over the last 2 years, stage 1 is what people generally like for DD. they compare it to ford perf. 2/3 more upper grunt, but I guess I never experience that, as im usually going 0-70 real quick thats the limit to my fun.
Lucky you. I live in a rapidly growing city where traffic is always heavy. I unfortunately have to get to a few back roads to have fun.
Sponsored