FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
i jumped from stage 1 to stage 2 without changing air filter/intake. They also say stock exhaust or catback, since my car has active exhaust with no resonator i figured it was acceptable. Weird i just noticed all stage 3 maps have been removed from cobb website. I still have stage 3 on my AP but i dont plan on a DP and would prob go pro tune before then anyway

read this on.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/more-downpipe-troubles.158493/page-5#post-3228951
Sponsored

OP
OP
MattSin97

MattSin97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Well that sucks. I finally put my Cobb Stage 1 yesterday. So for feels good. Do you know how long or how to tell when the calibration is 100%? Still don't know if I should go stage 2 yet. I do have the updated intercooler, just not sure if it is safe.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
As long you have the components you’re fine

to be fair. I never see ford perf tunes reported of detonating., or Cobb stage 1 tunes, but also, don’t really see any of the ots cobb tunes blowing.

whar I do see, is people doing Cobb 1/2/3 then wanting more and going protuners.

many members here ran Cobb stage 3 for years with no issue.
And to add, majority of the ecobooms I have actually read, 99% are pro tunes.

but, for every reported ecoboom, you know there’s like 100 more happy customers.
Use good oil, and catch and, use good gas, and use a good tune and that’s key.

engine issues can happen even on stock tune, it’s possible a regular engine part dies prematurely, completely irrelevant to a tune.

Cobb tunes are on richer side the higher they step up, I’ve come to find this out from reading.

But many are happy, and many try them and want mooarrrrrr and protune to get everything out of their engine.

OP
OP
MattSin97

MattSin97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
As long you have the components you’re fine

to be fair. I never see ford perf tunes reported of detonating., or Cobb stage 1 tunes, but also, don’t really see any of the ots cobb tunes blowing.

whar I do see, is people doing Cobb 1/2/3 then wanting more and going protuners.

many members here ran Cobb stage 3 for years with no issue.
And to add, majority of the ecobooms I have actually read, 99% are pro tunes.

but, for every reported ecoboom, you know there’s like 100 more happy customers.
Use good oil, and catch and, use good gas, and use a good tune and that’s key.

engine issues can happen even on stock tune, it’s possible a regular engine part dies prematurely, completely irrelevant to a tune.

Cobb tunes are on richer side the higher they step up, I’ve come to find this out from reading.

But many are happy, and many try them and want mooarrrrrr and protune to get everything out of their engine.
Thanks for taking the time and giving good information brotha, I appreciate it!

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to be Cobb ots tune myself. But. I had comparability issues from ford perf being on my car.

could try stage 2, then drop to 1.
I’m on Cobb 1 eqyipvalent and I’m very happy as dd

Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hey everyone, I am a couple months out from being able to get my protune, but my accessport just came in the mail. It has me tempted to go OTS stage 1 until I can get my car tuned by PD. Has anyone had any experience with this tune? Is it good enough to run for a few months?
I'm running a Cobb Stage 2 from my Accessport on Focus ST and i'm quite surprised with how good it has been. I for sure noticed an upgrade in the power.

OP
OP
MattSin97

MattSin97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
Just talked to Cobb about using a CVF intercooler and going Stage 2, this is what they wrote "Our maps are made using the COBB parts and pushed to that standard of what the parts are capable of. I would be very weary of running another manufacturers components just in case that don't perform to that same ability and could cause some issues like in this case, heatsoak, etc and the car could knock and lose power as a result."

Thoughts?
T

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
we already told you.

its all the same. they use a factory spot street intercooler, any same intercooler that fits in same spot will be the exact same. all it does is cool temps.

it needs an intercooler over OEM though, because it will need more cooling.

they aren't going to encourage people to buy from other vendors, you want customers to buy your parts for your tune. thats really end of story there.

OP
OP
MattSin97

MattSin97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I
we already told you.

its all the same. they use a factory spot street intercooler, any same intercooler that fits in same spot will be the exact same. all it does is cool temps.

it needs an intercooler over OEM though, because it will need more cooling.

they aren't going to encourage people to buy from other vendors, you want customers to buy your parts for your tune. thats really end of story there.
Yeah, I already told them I have everything though. Idk. Might just be a safe answer the guy had to say

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
no one is going to recommend any other brand for their items. they want to sell their own items. fact is, they did the tunes with their items, so its safe to tell people to buy their items for optimal tune. dunno what else to tell ya.

they are going to cool the same though. what's important is not running over stage 1 without upgraded IC of any kind

Sponsored
OP
OP
MattSin97

MattSin97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
no one is going to recommend any other brand for their items. they want to sell their own items. fact is, they did the tunes with their items, so its safe to tell people to buy their items for optimal tune. dunno what else to tell ya.

they are going to cool the same though. what's important is not running over stage 1 without upgraded IC of any kind
I just blew my engine

OP
OP
MattSin97

MattSin97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
If you really blew the engine, it’s not because you didn’t have a Cobb intercooler. Even a stock intercooler will simply pull the timing if temps was hot, heat soaked
I know man, I'm just playing. Trying to lighten the mood a bit.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I could use Cobb. I’d be on stage 2 hands down right now. But my ford perf is kinda locked down. I like it
But I bet I’d like 2 a bit more

they are one fit all, so they are still conservative, protuners get more out of the tunes but theycan’t be used on rverything

by giving the conservative rich power, they can do multiple cars by backing power down. One size fits most type deal. Some cars may not like it, could be elevation or gas requirements in some areas etc

OP
OP
MattSin97

MattSin97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
Okay, tried out Cobb Stage 1 for a bit. Now I updated it to Stage 2. I've read several threads that said they couldn't tell the power different between the two, but I can definitely say that Stage 2 is better! It really makes the car feel smooth and powerful. Can't wait for the protune next!
Sponsored