CLUNK when taking off

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Alright, so after replacing the rear thrust washers and axle nuts, the click is completely gone! I did the passenger side first. Passenger side washer didn't seem to have any damage to it, and after driving around the block I could still hear the click.
When I inspected the driver side thrust washer, one of the tabs on the washer was missing. After replacing that washer and axle nut, the click went away.

I decided the issue had to be related to the wheel hub in some way because I jacked up the car and accelerated and found that the click didn't make a sound when the wheels were off the ground. This got rid my suspicion of the ujoints. That and the fact that visual inspection showed the ujoints to be in good shape.
Ford is aware that these thrust washers are an issue and redesigned the part. It is now stronger than the previous version.
I think that I may have been the cause of the tab being broken. It's possible that when I torqued down the spindle nut after my hub installation that the tab wasn't seated correctly and snapped when it was torqued down. There are other possibilities as to the cause, but right now I'm blaming the design.

So if you recently did a wheel hub replacement and get the click, check the thrust washer.
Resized952021031495170401.jpg

Resized952021031495170348.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Alright, so after replacing the rear thrust washers and axle nuts, the click is completely gone! I did the passenger side first. Passenger side washer didn't seem to have any damage to it, and after driving around the block I could still hear the click.
When I inspected the driver side thrust washer, one of the tabs on the washer was missing. After replacing that washer and axle nut, the click went away.

I decided the issue had to be related to the wheel hub in some way because I jacked up the car and accelerated and found that the click didn't make a sound when the wheels were off the ground. This got rid my suspicion of the ujoints. That and the fact that visual inspection showed the ujoints to be in good shape.
Ford is aware that these thrust washers are an issue and redesigned the part. It is now stronger than the previous version.
I think that I may have been the cause of the tab being broken. It's possible that when I torqued down the spindle nut after my hub installation that the tab wasn't seated correctly and snapped when it was torqued down. There are other possibilities as to the cause, but right now I'm blaming the design.

So if you recently did a wheel hub replacement and get the click, check the thrust washer.
Resized952021031495170401.jpg

Resized952021031495170348.jpg
Thanks for posting your findings. Glad to see thereā€™s a revised part too. Just throwing this thread in for future reference as well, since a broken or damaged axle thrust washer issue is a common occurrence:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/advancetrac-service-abs-traction-control-lights-on.59115/

Porsche_Manny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT Performance Pack
Great thread. Relatively new Mustang-owner, 2017 GT PP. Clicking from driver rear when taking off. Wheel bearings have no play, axle nuts tight as a drum, and I R&I'd the left-rear caliper since it seemed to be in that area, but found no issue. Must be this.

Only audible from take off at parking-lot speed. Drive 100+ miles daily without anything falling off or getting worse than the clicking (bought Jan 31st of 2020 with 11,500 ā€” now has 64,300, all highway). If this posed a risk to the bearing, I would have thought it would have fallen off by now). Any risk or just nuisance click?

Sponsored

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Great thread. Relatively new Mustang-owner, 2017 GT PP. Clicking from driver rear when taking off. Wheel bearings have no play, axle nuts tight as a drum, and I R&I'd the left-rear caliper since it seemed to be in that area, but found no issue. Must be this.

Only audible from take off at parking-lot speed. Drive 100+ miles daily without anything falling off or getting worse than the clicking (bought Jan 31st of 2020 with 11,500 ā€” now has 64,300, all highway). If this posed a risk to the bearing, I would have thought it would have fallen off by now). Any risk or just nuisance click?
As far as it causing an actual mechanical issue, I wouldn't think so. A few months ago I installed the Ford Performance half shafts, and GForce told me I didn't even need to reinstall the thrust washers on the half shafts. I know it was many miles before I figured out the sound and replaced the part. Nothing appeared to be damaged, aside from the thrust washers of course.

If it were me though, I would just change them out. It's easy enough to do, and it doesn't cost much. If you let every click and creak slide, they start to add up and the car just doesn't seem as nice at that point.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
Itā€™s the driveshaft. Very common. You change it out to a quality cf one like qa-1 and it stops.

karpetcm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium A6, 2013 Mercedes E63 AMG, 2007 Mercedes E550
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking about doing this to my car. If i do more then 30-35% throttle give or take it will click only under acceleration or early in the morning when i leave my driveway it will click when i slowly drive off. Mostly i notice it under acceleration no clicking sound when I'm driving.

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Does this cause vibration? Or is it just a clicking noise? I have a slight vibration that i am chasing down that has been on the car for a bit now that i want to fix considering that when i let off the throttle at 140+ i feel the car vibrate in half a second intervals

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Does this cause vibration? Or is it just a clicking noise? I have a slight vibration that i am chasing down that has been on the car for a bit now that i want to fix considering that when i let off the throttle at 140+ i feel the car vibrate in half a second intervals
Thrust washer issue noted in this thread will not cause any vibe issues with the rear or driveline.

Check here; driveshaft center support flex disc and bolts:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/s550-driveshaft-coupler.104582/#post-3653515

And here; rear diff broken mount bolts:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/broken-diff-bolt.181685/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/broken-bolt-now-what-part-it-out.189797/#post-3811313

Sponsored

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Thrust washer issue noted in this thread will not cause any vibe issues with the rear or driveline.

Check here; driveshaft center support flex disc and bolts:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/s550-driveshaft-coupler.104582/#post-3653515

And here; rear diff broken mount bolts:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/broken-diff-bolt.181685/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/broken-bolt-now-what-part-it-out.189797/#post-3811313
Perfect thank you, just read up on them, car is on jacks now and I will take a look into it, I am also reviewing the long driveshaft/vibration thread that is on here. I am on the manual as well and it does state it can be driveshaft or parts surrounding it causing this. Especially the clunk, I have started getting when Im in a drive thru, and I go from park to drive

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
I just dropped off my car yesterday for this noise (5-6 sec mark). Its been 24 hrs and still no news from the dealer. I will update on what they find.

My drop off routine.
1 reset trip odometers
2 reset avg mpg
3 reset accelerometer
4 did a walk around video of the whole car
5 set valet mode
6 gave them a my key.

I think Im being paranoid but it should mitigate joyrides.

Last edited:

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Joy riding is a problem. I do somewhat the same thing. Accelerometer gets reset to zero and more often than not I will get it back with 1.5g turns and braking events logged. And nothing but denials from the shop. I have considered acting like I want to buy a new one and while on the test drive doing some high G maneuvers and burn outs to get even. But then I would just be lowering myself to their level.

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
I actually take pictures in front of their dealership with the zeroed values. At the very least they can address the employee involved should it happen. So far no suspicious incidents from my dealer.

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
Got the car back. Dealer says it was a ā€œbad left hub assembly from loose nutsā€. They replaced the bearing, six bolts and the axle nut. Though not as pronounced, I can still hear it once in a while. They only did the left side. Iā€™m suspecting the right is now the culprit which was overlooked. It took almost a week to get this done. 3 to ID the cause and order the parts. 2 to install. Im going to try and tighten the right side myself and hope that fixes it.
Sponsored