Sponsored

Check Engine Light On

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
like my Dad taught me, check oil in the engine and tire pressures at each gas fill up.

Good luck OP,
The car enthusiast in me knows that this is just good sense, but when its 20 degrees in january in michigan the probability of doing this drops to almost zero:shrug:
Sponsored

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange w\ Black OTTS
Do 2017s have the oil consumption issue as well?
Mine doesn't seem to have this issue, at about 1k miles and 1 oil change and shows no sign of using oil so far, knock on wood :headbonk:

OP
OP
shelby_r

shelby_r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 67 GT350, 68 GT350 Con, 65 R Restomod
Finally got my car back!

They did confirm - the check engine light was triggered by a sensor that is located in the catch can.

I had to pay for a complete oil/filter change, and again, I have to monitor the oil consumption weekly. Let's see how this goes.

Oh, and BTW - the car was delivered with over 50 "extra" miles on it...and, it was way dirtier than when I dropped it off. Grrrrrr.:mad:

Sponsored

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Finally got my car back!

They did confirm - the check engine light was triggered by a sensor that is located in the catch can.

I had to pay for a complete oil/filter change, and again, I have to monitor the oil consumption weekly. Let's see how this goes.

Oh, and BTW - the car was delivered with over 50 "extra" miles on it...and, it was way dirtier than when I dropped it off. Grrrrrr.:mad:

What sensor is located in the catch can? I have both catch cans and can confirm there is no sensor in either one of them?

OP
OP
shelby_r

shelby_r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What sensor is located in the catch can? I have both catch cans and can confirm there is no sensor in either one of them?
Hmmmm. Good question. I'm guessing my service rep didn't know squat about the issue.

Nice.

Thanks for the heads up, though! :ford:

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
lol. They said you had a sensor in your aftermarket catch-can? :doh:

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Probably meant oil pan then.

Sponsored

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Finally got my car back!

Why are you paying for the oil change?

AceOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2005, 2011, 2016 Mustang GTPP (Code_Blu), 2016 GT350R (Bloo-Doo)
I installed the composite oil pan on the 5.2L XS Aluminator that I built. There are no sensors installed in the GT350 Composite oil pans. My factory GT harness has a sensor plug on the engine harness but there was nothing to plug it into. No codes thrown either with the plug left unplugged. Only port is the drain plug. I'm not sure where the electronics get a "low oil level" reading from.

CoolTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltechllc.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford GT - Tungsten Garage Queen
However, I only drove it to the dealership after noticing the light.
OP - can you be very specific about what light/warning you observed?? Did you have a Check Engine light or a Low Oil Pressure Indication? This is kind of a big deal... and so far in this thread it is VERY confusing on what you saw and therefore difficult to advise.

If it was a check engine light - then the dealership should tell you what the code was. As can be seen from the other member's post, I don't think that Ford depends on the OBD2 reporting system for something as "severe" as low oil pressure - nor do I believe that they would do this for low oil level. BOTH of this conditions are serious enough to invoke an independent, very specific, warning. In other words, if Ford goes through the expense of having a low oil level sensor in the pan, I doubt this trigger would go through OBD2 system - but rather right to display. So, what warning did you see and what SPECIFICALLY did the dealership see? (Just trying to help.)

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I installed the composite oil pan on the 5.2L XS Aluminator that I built. There are no sensors installed in the GT350 Composite oil pans. My factory GT harness has a sensor plug on the engine harness but there was nothing to plug it into. No codes thrown either with the plug left unplugged. Only port is the drain plug. I'm not sure where the electronics get a "low oil level" reading from.
The level sensors I've seen are connected to the engine near the oil pick up not connected to the plan it self

I'm guessing with the plastic oil plan they moved it or maybe because of the baffling

OP
OP
shelby_r

shelby_r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP - can you be very specific about what light/warning you observed?? Did you have a Check Engine light or a Low Oil Pressure Indication? This is kind of a big deal... and so far in this thread it is VERY confusing on what you saw and therefore difficult to advise.

If it was a check engine light - then the dealership should tell you what the code was. As can be seen from the other member's post, I don't think that Ford depends on the OBD2 reporting system for something as "severe" as low oil pressure - nor do I believe that they would do this for low oil level. BOTH of this conditions are serious enough to invoke an independent, very specific, warning. In other words, if Ford goes through the expense of having a low oil level sensor in the pan, I doubt this trigger would go through OBD2 system - but rather right to display. So, what warning did you see and what SPECIFICALLY did the dealership see? (Just trying to help.)
All I saw was the check engine light - there were no other warnings, and believe me, I checked.

The dealership said the code tripped related to low oil, not oil pressure. Again, the dealership rep didn't seem very knowledgeable. I'll need to call them back in the morning.

Thanks!
Sponsored