CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON...AGAIN

OP
OP

SHOCKSOKET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
He just sent me picture of the failed coil. Says the soot on the rubber boot means that the spark is finding an easier path to ground instead of the spark plug. His solution is to replace all of them. They are being sent FedEx from Michigan today, so I might not get car back until tomorrow.
Sponsored

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Any update on this? Just curious more than anything.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Ford services center just called. All 8 ignition coils failed, will have parts tomorrow and hope that does it.
Yeaaah riiiiiiiight all 8 huh. I call this complete bullshit. 8 coils at once never fail.
In my 26+ years as a ASE mechanic I never seen 8 coils go bad at once. What were the codes? Were the spark plug wells wet? When the Check engine light flashes you have a major misfire and this would show up on the misfire counter. This will also show many misfires on each cylinder. 8 coils never go out at once. If that were the case I'd check the harness for damage. Did you or someone else accidentally fill up with 87 octane? I'd like more info.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
He just sent me picture of the failed coil. Says the soot on the rubber boot means that the spark is finding an easier path to ground instead of the spark plug. His solution is to replace all of them. They are being sent FedEx from Michigan today, so I might not get car back until tomorrow.
Can you post this pic?

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Some manufactures request that a blanket repair be made so that first and foremost they take care of the customer and make sure the car is fixed. They will also probably analyze all of the other coils to see if this is a isolated incident or possibly more widespread.

I would also suggest that they replace the spark plugs because if there is carbon tracking on the porcelain the problem will reoccur again in a short time. Electricty will always find the path of least resistance and its easier to find ground on the carbon tracking than to jump the plug gap!

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

SHOCKSOKET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Any update on this? Just curious more than anything.
Got the car back the next day and it's been fine since. I've had a chance to take it through the RPMs and no lights. I'll keep you guys posted if anything else happens.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Got the car back the next day and it's been fine since. I've had a chance to take it through the RPMs and no lights. I'll keep you guys posted if anything else happens.
Sweet. Thanks for the update man. Glad everything's working out fine.
Sponsored