Cheapest Performance Pack Brake Kit?

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Thinking about trying to track my car. I have a 2015 Mustang GT Premium Auto. Heard from lots of people to upgrade the brakes to those found on the performance pack before I attempt to track the car. I also like the idea of having better braking as I have even felt my brakes fade on the street.

What would be the cheapest route to upgrading the brakes to the 6 piston brembos?

I think all I need is the calipers, dust shield, new brake fluid lines, and new pads and rotors.
Rock Auto sells remanufactured pp calipers for ~$480. I can buy used ones for about ~$400 (although at that price I would rather buy new ones for $80 more).
I also think I found the right dust shields (Part #: 2K004), although ford sells them for $100+ and rock auto may have them for $15.
I think I also found the brake hose for $30 from ford.

Is there an easier or cheaper way to do this and do I have all the part numbers correct? I've also heard that buying parts made for the bullitt mustang may be cheaper.

Also what rotors and pads would you guys recommend for spirited street driving and maybe a track day if I ever do it. I've heard lots of people like drilled rotors more than drilled and slotted but is there a particular brand? And what should I get for pads? I'm not going for the cheapest rotors and pads, just the cheapest way to get the rest of it.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Have a look here to see what is needed, required.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
You will need calipers, rotors, dust shields, hoses, crush washers, pads, pins and clips.

You can buy a complete kit from LMR with all new parts for 1K. By the time you piece everything together to do the swap correctly, you will have spent that much, if not more. Just buy the kit. And don't forget you will need at least 19" wheels and tires if you don't have them already.

BabyDoc1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sierra, ‘21 Expedition, ‘22 Mach 1
Anyone have opinions of the Bullit kit? Is it just the performance pack kit with red calipers?

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Anyone have opinions of the Bullit kit? Is it just the performance pack kit with red calipers?
Yeah, from what I can tell it's just red as the change. And I don't think the rear setup in the bullit kit is any increase in performance over the base GT, just red calipers and brackets, I may be wront though.

Sponsored

BabyDoc1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sierra, ‘21 Expedition, ‘22 Mach 1
Yeah, from what I can tell it's just red as the change. And I don't think the rear setup in the bullit kit is any increase in performance over the base GT, just red calipers and brackets, I may be wront though.
Yea looking at the kits on LMR it looks like the bullit, performance pack, and M1 are just a front upgrade over the standard GT with the bullit being the exception that it includes red rear calipers. I thought the M1 had better rears too?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
The ONLY difference between the PP , bullitt and M1 brakes is the color of the calipers.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Thinking about trying to track my car. I have a 2015 Mustang GT Premium Auto. Heard from lots of people to upgrade the brakes to those found on the performance pack before I attempt to track the car. I also like the idea of having better braking as I have even felt my brakes fade on the street.

What would be the cheapest route to upgrading the brakes to the 6 piston brembos?

I think all I need is the calipers, dust shield, new brake fluid lines, and new pads and rotors.
Rock Auto sells remanufactured pp calipers for ~$480. I can buy used ones for about ~$400 (although at that price I would rather buy new ones for $80 more).
I also think I found the right dust shields (Part #: 2K004), although ford sells them for $100+ and rock auto may have them for $15.
I think I also found the brake hose for $30 from ford.

Is there an easier or cheaper way to do this and do I have all the part numbers correct? I've also heard that buying parts made for the bullitt mustang may be cheaper.

Also what rotors and pads would you guys recommend for spirited street driving and maybe a track day if I ever do it. I've heard lots of people like drilled rotors more than drilled and slotted but is there a particular brand? And what should I get for pads? I'm not going for the cheapest rotors and pads, just the cheapest way to get the rest of it.
Stay away from drilled rotors if you ever intent to track your car
Get the cheapest blank rotors from rockauto. Either Centric or Wagner

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Stay away from drilled rotors if you ever intent to track your car
Get the cheapest blank rotors from rockauto. Either Centric or Wagner
Why not drilled or slotted rotors?

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Why not drilled or slotted rotors?
Slotted rotors are fine but you’re paying extra for something that serve no purpose
Used to be a time, like a very long time ago, when pads would be out gazing and therefore, at least the theory, the gas could escape through those slots
Pads don’t do that anymore
As for drilled, they are ok for light duty, such as on the street, but will develop cracks, going from holes to holes, on a race track
Even a plain rotor will develop cracks on the track but much later and smaller cracks than drilled rotors

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
You can get a full Brembo 6 piston front brake kit from Shelby America on eBay. I got my set for under 5 bills with shipping. They are new take offs and bolt right up.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The cheapest package, rotors, red calipers, pads, 4 braided lines is $1200 from Steeda. All parts new.

Last edited:

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Yea looking at the kits on LMR it looks like the bullit, performance pack, and M1 are just a front upgrade over the standard GT with the bullit being the exception that it includes red rear calipers. I thought the M1 had better rears too?
My understanding is the PP rear caliper is different, to allow for a slightly thicker brake pad.