Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Hi everyone, For the couple of past weeks I noticed that my car wasn’t starting as strong as before 2 days ago I took it to a shop to see if the battery is going bad. They told me that the battery is fine, it just needs being charged. 3 days a week I commute to work and my commute is a little over an hour each way. It’s a 2016 model and is still the original battery. I was doing my Kicker key amp tuning and as it finished, the car failed to start. So I took the battery out and put it on my battery charger. Given that the battery recovers and holds charge. My question is, do I need to reset the BMS after charging the battery up?
After 6 years you need a new better battery
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Hi everyone, For the couple of past weeks I noticed that my car wasn’t starting as strong as before 2 days ago I took it to a shop to see if the battery is going bad. They told me that the battery is fine, it just needs being charged. 3 days a week I commute to work and my commute is a little over an hour each way. It’s a 2016 model and is still the original battery. I was doing my Kicker key amp tuning and as it finished, the car failed to start. So I took the battery out and put it on my battery charger. Given that the battery recovers and holds charge. My question is, do I need to reset the BMS after charging the battery up?
Don't reset the BMS. The whole point is that it knows the battery age and attempts to charge it taking this into consideration. As mentioned at 6 years a new battery is looming.

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Don't reset the BMS. The whole point is that it knows the battery age and attempts to charge it taking this into consideration. As mentioned at 6 years a new battery is looming.
Bring it to autozone they'll loaded test the battery forfree

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Never reset the BMS unless you install a new battery. And the other way around - always reset the BMS after you install a new battery.
A six year old battery is living on borrowed time. It may still be usable for a while, but it may also die suddenly when you least expect it. It could live two more years, or it could be dead by tomorrow afternoon. You never know.

There are testers that can give you an idea of the battery's state of health. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/2Ah-220Ah-Re...=1651751484&sprefix=obdmonster,aps,427&sr=8-7

A voltmeter won't directly tell you anything about the state of health, though it can help you to infer it, at least to some extent.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Thank you everyone! You are correct. I put the battery on charger and after about 4hours it showed that it's completely charged. Took the battery to the car and it strted the car. Then I decided to test it on accessory power. Within 2 minutes the voltage dropped from 12.65v to 11.1v. I just went ahead and bought a new battery. As you mentioned it was on borrowed time.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Thank you everyone! You are correct. I put the battery on charger and after about 4hours it showed that it's completely charged. Took the battery to the car and it strted the car. Then I decided to test it on accessory power. Within 2 minutes the voltage dropped from 12.65v to 11.1v. I just went ahead and bought a new battery. As you mentioned it was on borrowed time.
But now you DO need to reset the BMS

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
But now you DO need to reset the BMS
How do you reset BMS.lookef. it up

Procedure must be carried out within 10 seconds:
Switch ignition on (engine off)
Pull and release high beam 5 times.
Press and release brake pedal 3 times.
If successful the battery light will flash 3 times within the next 15 seconds.
BMS reset completed.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible

BMS reset completed.
This does work. The manual also says leaving the car locked and untouched for 8 hours works as well. I did the procedure and left the car for the 8 hours anyway as well.

The validity of the procedure was questioned in the thread that I saw it in, however, a later posting confirmed that it worked, as that poster had checked the system with Forscan and it showed the age of the battery being only a few days.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE

BMS reset completed.
Most bi directional scan tools will do the BMS reset as well.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
"This does work. The manual also says leaving the car locked and untouched for 8 hours works as well. I did the procedure and left the car for the 8 hours anyway as well."

One more time - they are two different things. The 8 hours with the car locked tells the system the battery's state of charge; the BMS reset tells the system that the battery is new.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
How much the alternator charges the battery is written into the tune. You tune how much voltage it makes at what temperature and at what fuel demand

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
You should have just cleaned out the battery and service it. Like brand new

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Are you all running stock battery’s. I started with stock but after a few of them I went to a optima which was not much better. now I run 355cca U1 battery’s x2. I’m thinking about adding a third for over 1000cca
Sponsored