Sponsored

Centri Boys, Need Your Wisdom!

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Not sure if that was directed at me, but I’ve owned a few of each kind.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Have to comment on a couple things...

After installing my own PD blower and helping a friend install his centri, the centri was MUCH easier to install. A few hours easier and not challenging. The PD was easy as well and the instructions were well laid out. So really, neither should be too difficult to take on, but in my experience the Centri is an easier install.

As far as which type to go with, it really depends on what you want. Any of the blowers will put you in the 10s quarter mile and make 700+ whp without really breaking too much of a sweat. So it comes down to “how do you want to feel the power”?

The centri starts pulling and then pulls harder the more you rev. Feels “stockish” as far as delivery. Consistent. More revs more power. The PD slams you into the seat right away and pulls hard as far up as you rev it. It’s feels more exciting.

Again, just my nickels worth.

See if there’s someone nearby to go for a spin with.

Honestly though, any boost gets the job done. Pick one that meets your financial needs and that you like the looks of.

Then send it!

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Have to comment on a couple things...

After installing my own PD blower and helping a friend install his centri, the centri was MUCH easier to install. A few hours easier and not challenging. The PD was easy as well and the instructions were well laid out. So really, neither should be too difficult to take on, but in my experience the Centri is an easier install.

As far as which type to go with, it really depends on what you want. Any of the blowers will put you in the 10s quarter mile and make 700+ whp without really breaking too much of a sweat. So it comes down to “how do you want to feel the power”?

The centri starts pulling and then pulls harder the more you rev. Feels “stockish” as far as delivery. Consistent. More revs more power. The PD slams you into the seat right away and pulls hard as far up as you rev it. It’s feels more exciting.

Again, just my nickels worth.

See if there’s someone nearby to go for a spin with.

Honestly though, any boost gets the job done. Pick one that meets your financial needs and that you like the looks of.

Then send it!
I didn't buy my P1X based on looks or cost. I bought it based On what it delivers. Easy install/removal with no cutting is nice. My car has so much bottom end power now, any more in the first couple gears would just lead to more wheel spin of the DR's. That $100 bill on the dash is yours if you can grab it after the throttle cracks open. Low end power I don't need. The P1X keeps pulling harder the higher you rev it. My car will spin the tires into 5th at 95MPH. How much more low end do you need?

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
I always believed that the type of supercharger should complement the engines natural power curve. In other words, a pushrod 2-valve v8 that struggles to make top-end should lean towards a centri. A high rev’ing dohc 4-valve engine should have a turbo or PD blower to fill in the low-end where the engine is lacking.

One other point of note is that oem’s almost never install centri superchargers from the factory, but PD blowers and turbos are quite common. The only examples I can think of are powersports such as street bikes and PWC’s, but nothing automotive. Anyone care to guess why?

Centrifugal superchargers filled a void 10+ years ago when all the PD offerings were too small to make any serious hp and very inefficient. But a modern 2.65 or 3 liter PD is highly efficient and able to support plenty of power so centrifs don’t hold that advantage anymore. At this point, I think the only advantage is ease of installation/lack of intrusiveness into the engine.

And, the “heat soak” issue really isn’t an issue if you actually look at quantitative data, the exception being the gen3 roush kits after a few seconds at wot.
Very well said. Spot on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Well my buddy just got the VMP Odin on his 2021 Mustang GT 6MT PP this week and he has no regrets. Made 700 to the wheels on 93 octane with the base VMP tune, and is really happy with it which has me leaning back to my original choice of doing a Whipple. Unfortunately he went with the VMP out of the box tune and it's having drivability issues now and getting a misfire, which when I have my Whipple installed I'll have it dialed in by DGR Performance in York, PA on the dyno. And after speaking with Dave, the owner of DGR, who has been in the business for 20+ years he made a convincing argument which steered me right back into the PD blower. I really like a lot of stuff the centri brings to the table, but at the end of the day I think I'll have more fun with the Whipple, minus the fact that I wont have any jet plane noises :/

Memphisraines

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2013 Caddilac ATS
OP have you popped into the ESS Centri thread by chance?

OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Not aware of it, whats that?

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
w3ablak91,

As mentioned before, the tune is everything on any FI coyote. Get it right and any form of FI will be very impressive.

Get it wrong and "best" FI will make you miserable.

Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
w3ablak91,

As mentioned before, the tune is everything on any FI coyote. Get it right and any form of FI will be very impressive.

Get it wrong and "best" FI will make you miserable.
quoted for troof!

Nola504boy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2018 Mustang gt
Most PD guys will say go PD & Most Centri guys will say get a Centri it never fails. 🤦🏽‍♂️😂

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
And turbo guys say go turbo, and e85 guys burn their corn all day long, while all the Honda kids can't hear any of it over VTEC going BAPBAPBAPBAPBPABPBAPABAPBABPABPPABPABP
But a Centri pushing power through an A10 burning E85 is a great solution!

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)