Sponsored

Catastrophic Engine failure

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
sounds to me like the parking prawl got jammed (broke?) or the trans and engine are not properly aligned.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Retdet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Eco boost PP ingot silver
Apparently ford didn't have issue with engine replacement. It's just hard to believe after new engine is installed I have transmission issues which never had before. Though I'm not a mechanic it's hard to comprehend this. I know you wasn't at the dealership so how can you determine they should have not replaced the engine. I had 2 holes in it one in the block and I in the oil pan. There metal debris inside the block and the loss of one rod. I'm just wondering if damage to transmission happened when engine blew. I paid for this car to work with just 54k miles and got a engine and now transmission issues which I hope is minor. I don't bring it to the track or abuse it. I put 50 miles a day to go to work. I appreciate what the dealer is doing but my aggravation is at the point of no return. I promise you I have owned plenty of cars in my lifetime as I'm 63 yoa and never had issues like this. In fact my first car was a new 1974 mustang I bought when I graduated from high school. So now I will wait and see what the outcome of this and see what direction I need to go.kinda like the Buick Regal GS.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
where will I start. I'm currently driving a 2015 pp Eco as my daily driver. 3 years ago I went with a pro tuner well known never had no problems or issues. The only mods were airaid tube w/ air box and a pedal commander. Car ran good. Several months ago I updated my sct tuner so I return ca to stock. Upon completion of the update went to reload custom tune and got a error download message on my tuner. I have not had any check engine light nor thrown any codes. Boy I'm glad I return to stock let me tell you.
Wednesday before last I'm driving to work in heavy traffic doing about 25 mph when there was a loud explosion underneath my car smoke pouring out from under my hood and car. I was crossing a bridge at the time got down and pulled over, thought my car was on fire. Finally looked under the hood and noticed a lot of oil in the engine bay. I had it towed to the dealership. Car was still under drivetrain warranty. After they looked at it they told me I had 2 holes in the block. I'm not a mechanic so the exact cause I don't know. Two days later dealership said it's covered under warranty getting a new long block. They gave me a new 2019 Eco mustang to drive until mine is fixed. I want to give kudos to my dealership. So when I get it back I'm keeping stock and be satisfied with stock performance. 6 months it will be paid for and I'll decide where I will go next keep or trade it. As for the tuner name I will not say due to the fact I don't know if it was the cause or bad luck on my part. Live and learn!
I'm not prouder, but I'm louder.

Is this vehicle an automatic, or manual? Assuming automatic. Maybe it has something with the tune you removed that dealer doesn't know about? Seems to me Ford has done you right, gave you a loaner, saved miles on your car will bring repaired. Doing a repair that they legally shouldn't be doing under warranty.
Why do people think we live in an a perfect world with mechanical devices. Personally I think you should be taking Dunkin donuts and coffee to service department everyday.
Apparently ford didn't have issue with engine replacement. It's just hard to believe after new engine is installed I have transmission issues which never had before. Though I'm not a mechanic it's hard to comprehend this. I know you wasn't at the dealership so how can you determine they should have not replaced the engine. I had 2 holes in it one in the block and I in the oil pan. There metal debris inside the block and the loss of one rod. I'm just wondering if damage to transmission happened when engine blew. I paid for this car to work with just 54k miles and got a engine and now transmission issues which I hope is minor. I don't bring it to the track or abuse it. I put 50 miles a day to go to work. I appreciate what the dealer is doing but my aggravation is at the point of no return. I promise you I have owned plenty of cars in my lifetime as I'm 63 yoa and never had issues like this. In fact my first car was a new 1974 mustang I bought when I graduated from high school. So now I will wait and see what the outcome of this and see what direction I need to go.kinda like the Buick Regal GS.
Member Interceptor is correct in his response. You stated in your very first post that you did take the car to a “pro tuner” and that you had a SCT tuning device...

This isn’t a lecture, so don’t take it that way, it’s just explaining what is missed in Interceptor’s response to you.

The engine blows, you take it to Ford and for whatever reasons they aren’t aware of the tune and replace your engine.

The point being, if Ford was aware of the “pro tune” they legally and by their own Warranty policy should not have even entertained replacing your engine. A tune voids the warranty, period. Even if you don’t race or track the car, an aftermarket tune (outside of the Ford Performance Tune) voids the factory warranty.

So consider yourself lucky that your engine replacement was not out of pocket cost. Most likely your engine damage was the result of the “pro tune”, and was not a Ford manufacturing defect or deficiency.

Also, a lot has changed since the 1974 Mustang... you could have bumped the timing on a 74 Mustang, ran shitty fuel through it, have mis-gapped spark plugs and it would still be running today, because then, everything was driven by “mechanics” and not computers. A “pro tune” on a 2015-2019 EB can put rods through blocks when the tune is not 100% correct, or if something else has been modified that affects the tuning parameters, or even if the tune calls for a certain octane fuel and the owner uses something other than recommended and is hammering on the car...

Seems you were having difficulties with the Lund tune here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/dtc-code-p00c6.95700/#post-2098492

And here you had concerns about Ford voiding Warranty on the Ford Performance Tune, even though you state yourself you’re already running an unleashed tune:
Latest update from Ford Performance Tune

I mean, seriously, the engine failure was most likely the tune, not that it’s a “piece of crap car”....

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Is the op going to tell us if it a manual or automatic.... or just keep us in suspense..?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I mean, seriously, the engine failure was most likely the tune, not that it’s a “piece of crap car”....
It's possible but since the problematic car is a '15 and ford is hardly known for world-class engine building I would call it a toss-up.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Retdet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a automatic with 3:55 gears. It's been over a week now at the dealership and they haven't look at it. They say they are backed up on transmission repairs(hmm). Heaven knows when they will get this resolved. They only have 2 transmission techs they say. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get a new transmission then I can say I have a new 2015 mustang.
We will see I guess I have one of their 2019 mustang,

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I have 10 Ford Dealerships within 20 miles of my house. Any one of them can do service.

I'd be interested to know what went wrong, though. Have you talked to the Service Manager about this?

OP
OP

Retdet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well it's been 3 weeks today my car has been in shop for the transmission problem. They called to tell me they are pulling my transmission out and think it's a internal fault whatever that means. If anybody on the forum could tell me what that means I would be grateful. So now let's see how long this takes to fix.

OP
OP

Retdet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the verdict is in after 4 weeks. They are replacing the transmission clutch, pressure plate and valve body. So I'm guessing I'm getting a rebuilt transmission. Hopefully I'll have it back at weeks end. I have no clue what these parts are and did damage occur when my engine blew while I was driving. I was told the new engine might not be compatible to my transmission. My car is a 2015 pp. I don't know what year replacement motor is. Also do you think the computer needs to be re-programmed.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Well the verdict is in after 4 weeks. They are replacing the transmission clutch, pressure plate and valve body. So I'm guessing I'm getting a rebuilt transmission. Hopefully I'll have it back at weeks end. I have no clue what these parts are and did damage occur when my engine blew while I was driving. I was told the new engine might not be compatible to my transmission. My car is a 2015 pp. I don't know what year replacement motor is. Also do you think the computer needs to be re-programmed.
Did they say exactly “transmission clutch and pressure plate”? An automatic does not have a clutch and pressure plate... An automatic has clutch packs that are hydraulically actuated by the hydraulic pump and valve body. I don’t see how an engine failure would cause auto trans problems unless the tech screwed up the install by pinching wires or not properly installing the torque converter, etc...

Sponsored
OP
OP

Retdet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's exactly what the service rep told me by text clutch, pressure plate and valve body. I had several people tell me that probably wasn't installed right when new engine was put in. Thanks for the information.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Yea the service rep probably got the terminology wrong.... Sounds like they replaced the clutch pack responsible for reverse and replaced the valve body. What could have happened was contamination. Bits of debris got into the transmission fluid lines when they disassembled/reassembled the system which caused a clog in the valve body and burned up the reverse clutch pack.

OP
OP

Retdet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got car back on Oct.25th after 5 weeks in shop. Dealer rebuilt transmission under warranty. On Oct.27th a horrible clunking noise in the rear end when I put it in reverse and the same in drive. The car wouldn't shift out of first gear. To say the least how I didn't lose my religion and Ho to jail when I went up there to the dealership. I told them this shit is not funny anymore and something needs to be done about this. I pretty much told them they have shoddy mechanics. Last week they called and said they are changing the wiring harness. I'm assuming there is one going to the transmission. So now I'm working on the third week they have had my car.I might be wrong the odds this is going to fix is slim to none because I feel they should looked at at the beginning. Sounds like they look at it well that didn't work lets try this so on and so on. I contacted ford about this and they saw the work done on my car. They say they will contact dealership about this but I don't expect to much on this. I got a total of 3 loaner cars since it started looks like I will be driving every car in their inventory. 19 ecoboost mustang, edge and now a 2020 escape which my lawnmower has more get up and go than this thing. If I get it back and still doesn't work I'll have to look at the legal options I have to get some recourse.
Sponsored