HPFP Failure, show of hands?

1QwkEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
2015 Ecoboost, only 12k miles. Not driven hard, no track days or quarter mile runs to date. 4k miles a year driven.

So on my second data log collection (3rd gear pull, 3k-6k) with my new tuner apparently my hpfp took a dump. Car felt weird and would stutter and buck when trying to make any kind of boost. Went straight home and waited to hear from my tuner.

I didn't know this until my tuner looked at the logs. Apparently the pump was only making 1600psi.

Luckily car didn't go ecoboom. It idles fine it seems.

So my question is, who else has this happened too? Who here has changed their hpfp?

I did a 3 day subscription for the factory service manual. According to the manual not only does the pump need to be replaced, but the high pressure fuel tube from the pump to the fuel rail. The flare nuts on the tube have to be torqued in a 3 stage process. Since those are flare nuts I have to get a torque wrench with a crows foot attachment.

People that have swapped the pump, did you change the tube, follow the torque sequences, etc?

Here is a copy and paste from the manual:

1. NOTICE: Make sure that a new high-pressure fuel tube is installed.
    Install the new high-pressure fuel tube, then install the high-pressure fuel tube flare nuts, the high-pressure fuel tube bracket bolt and the high-pressure fuel tube bracket nut finger tight at this stage.
  1. NOTE: Calculate the correct torque wrench setting for the following torque using the Torque Wrench Adapter Formulas.
    Tighten the high-pressure fuel tube flare nuts in the following 3 stages.
    Torque:
    Stage 1: 62 lb.in (7 Nm)
    Stage 2: 133 lb.in (15 Nm)
    Stage 3: 30°
  1. Tighten the high-pressure fuel tube bracket nut.
    Torque: 150 lb.in (17 Nm)
  1. Tighten the high-pressure fuel tube bracket bolt.
    Torque: 89 lb.in (10 Nm)
Any help or insight on this would be appreciated!
Sponsored

Last edited:

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
I think I seen on youtube, TheWizardTim having a HPFP failure while doing a 3rd gear pull for his tuner which could be the same tuner you have. I have to go back and watch to verify...Ford fixed his...Good Luck...

OP
OP
1QwkEcoBoost

1QwkEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I think I seen on youtube, TheWizardTim having a HPFP failure while doing a 3rd gear pull for his tuner which could be the same tuner you have. I have to go back and watch to verify...Ford fixed his...Good Luck...
Hmmm I've never pointed the finger at my tuner, but this is concerning that the exact same thing happened to this guy, 3rd gear pull, pump fails. My concern now, is yeah I don't have a hole in my block but the car doesn't feel good at all when trying to make boost. Fingers crossed the pump is the only issue.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Hmmm I've never pointed the finger at my tuner, but this is concerning that the exact same thing happened to this guy, 3rd gear pull, pump fails. My concern now, is yeah I don't have a hole in my block but the car doesn't feel good at all when trying to make boost. Fingers crossed the pump is the only issue.
What tuner do you use ?

Sounds fishy to me !! Never had any issues with my stock pump 550whp I'm pushing that little hpfp..:cheers:

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Not tuned, but I understand that the HP fuel pump runs almost at capacity on the factory tune or Ford Performance tune...any mods that make the engine burn substantially more fuel require a higher capacity pump or a secondary fuel injection system. There is someone out there who makes a higher capacity HPFP...I remember seeing the thread in here a while back about that when it came out.

Sponsored

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 92 Eagle Talon
I had a weak HPFP that had me chasing misfires for months, but it didn't quite fail.

OP
OP
1QwkEcoBoost

1QwkEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Not tuned, but I understand that the HP fuel pump runs almost at capacity on the factory tune or Ford Performance tune...any mods that make the engine burn substantially more fuel require a higher capacity pump or a secondary fuel injection system. There is someone out there who makes a higher capacity HPFP...I remember seeing the thread in here a while back about that when it came out.
Yeah I talked to my tuner about the available aftermarket pumps and he said they cant be tuned with the accessport because of Cobb's software I assume. I know Livernois and RTR make pumps but not sure how people are tuning them.

OP
OP
1QwkEcoBoost

1QwkEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I had a weak HPFP that had me chasing misfires for months, but it didn't quite fail.
Did you change it yourself or were you able to get it covered at the dealer?

OP
OP
1QwkEcoBoost

1QwkEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
What tuner do you use ?

Sounds fishy to me !! Never had any issues with my stock pump 550whp I'm pushing that little hpfp..:cheers:
I'm using Ryan at Purple Drank, you think it's possible that it's because I'm on E30? 4 gallons of E85 and the rest 91 piss gas here in Cali.

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
I changed it myself. I had already done the motor build on my car by that time. The HPFP is pretty easy, right on top of the motor. I do have the factory manuals for it but I don't recall anything special in there. With most HPFPs on different cars you do want to have the pump cam low so you're not fighting to compress the spring while tightening the bolts. I reused the fuel line, but the manual does say to replace it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
1QwkEcoBoost

1QwkEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I changed it myself. I had already done the motor build on my car by that time. The HPFP is pretty easy, right on top of the motor. I do have the factory manuals for it but I don't recall anything special in there. With most HPFPs on different cars you do want to have the pump cam low so you're not fighting to compress the spring while tightening the bolts. I reused the fuel line, but the manual does say to replace it.
Awesome info, thanks, did you have to change the roller tappet by chance as well? And as far as tightening the line, you just got it pretty snug? Sorry for being so anal, don't want to be the cause of another failure because I didn't put something back on correctly...

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Awesome info, thanks, did you have to change the roller tappet by chance as well? And as far as tightening the line, you just got it pretty snug? Sorry for being so anal, don't want to be the cause of another failure because I didn't put something back on correctly...
I did not. The car only had a few thousand miles on it so many parts were reused. I tightened the flare nut according to 25 years experience working on cars and 20 years experience in working on semiconductor machinery, which is a bit hard to describe here. If you can replace the line and follow the factory procedure I absolutely recommend doing so.

OP
OP
1QwkEcoBoost

1QwkEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I did not. The car only had a few thousand miles on it so many parts were reused. I tightened the flare nut according to 25 years experience working on cars and 20 years experience in working on semiconductor machinery, which is a bit hard to describe here. If you can replace the line and follow the factory procedure I absolutely recommend doing so.
Thanks man, to play it safe I'm going to order the specialized torque wrench and follow the factory procedure. I appreciated the info....

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Yeah I talked to my tuner about the available aftermarket pumps and he said they cant be tuned with the accessport because of Cobb's software I assume. I know Livernois and RTR make pumps but not sure how people are tuning them.
IIRC, Livernois is a custom tuner (they build the tune according to what mods you put on the engine). There's other custom tuners out there as well... :thumbsup:
Sponsored