Sponsored

Catastrophic Engine failure

Retdet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Eco boost PP ingot silver
where will I start. I'm currently driving a 2015 pp Eco as my daily driver. 3 years ago I went with a pro tuner well known never had no problems or issues. The only mods were airaid tube w/ air box and a pedal commander. Car ran good. Several months ago I updated my sct tuner so I return ca to stock. Upon completion of the update went to reload custom tune and got a error download message on my tuner. I have not had any check engine light nor thrown any codes. Boy I'm glad I return to stock let me tell you.
Wednesday before last I'm driving to work in heavy traffic doing about 25 mph when there was a loud explosion underneath my car smoke pouring out from under my hood and car. I was crossing a bridge at the time got down and pulled over, thought my car was on fire. Finally looked under the hood and noticed a lot of oil in the engine bay. I had it towed to the dealership. Car was still under drivetrain warranty. After they looked at it they told me I had 2 holes in the block. I'm not a mechanic so the exact cause I don't know. Two days later dealership said it's covered under warranty getting a new long block. They gave me a new 2019 Eco mustang to drive until mine is fixed. I want to give kudos to my dealership. So when I get it back I'm keeping stock and be satisfied with stock performance. 6 months it will be paid for and I'll decide where I will go next keep or trade it. As for the tuner name I will not say due to the fact I don't know if it was the cause or bad luck on my part. Live and learn!
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
surely that level of damage necessitates a new crate engine. Sounds like lower bearing failure due to oil starvation. A full teardown by a good engine builder would be instructive (ie. not some random dealer mech) but alas I doubt they'll let you do that.

BLU-PNY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang premium vert, 2016 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2006 Mazda Miata
Sorry to hear of your misfortune but glad you are getting warranty coverage.

I need to hear stories like yours every so often...…

I bought my 17 premium pony package EB vert in December - a Certified Pre-owned with only 1330 miles on it and a 7 year/100k miles powertrain warranty. It sat in my garage for 4 months over the winter while I read hundreds of pages and posts about engine mods, etc. When spring finally arrived, I resisted the temptation to do extensive mods and only have done a drop-in filter, Airaid intake tube, throttle body spacer, and pregapped plugs. Not very exciting mods, but it runs good (using 93 octane exclusively), has plenty of power for the cruising/touring I bought it for (especially in Sport mode), consistently delivers over 30mpg, and I don't worry about warranty claims should they ever become necessary. I may change mufflers but that's probably about it. Might also consider a new intercooler at some point, but it is generally not hot where I live so probably not.....unless I just need to do something lol!

Good luck with the new engine!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
surely that level of damage necessitates a new crate engine. Sounds like lower bearing failure due to oil starvation. A full teardown by a good engine builder would be instructive (ie. not some random dealer mech) but alas I doubt they'll let you do that.
What does a crate engine have that a long block doesn't that could have been damaged in the blow-up?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
a long block should suffice. I wasn't familiar with the term.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

BLU-PNY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang premium vert, 2016 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2006 Mazda Miata
Had a new long block 2,7 installed in my F-150 under warranty due to "manufacturing issue". Only issue I had was excessive oil consumption on original engine. Long block was a completely assembled engine core to which they attached my orig electrics, intake, turbos, and exhaust. No issues whatsoever with the "transplant". Hope Retdet's experience is the same!

Last edited:

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Nice to read a positive comment on a service provided. Too often the only things shared are poor perceived experiences and negative comments based on reading threads written by inept people who think they know everything about cars because they read articles in Motor Trend Magazine while at the barbershop. Glad it worked out for you.

Dizzle2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Wow that's scary and glad you had the warranty still. Hopefully I don't have any issues with my 15 Eco daily driver especially after i just bought a Cobb Accessport.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Retdet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Eco boost PP ingot silver
Update:
Well I got my car back this past Monday with a new engine. I thought everything would be ok,boy I was wrong. Yesterday which was 4 weeks my engine blew, I pulled into a store to get something to drink car wouldn't go into reverse. Two guys helped pushed it out put it in drive and a awful noise from transmission. I got it towed in to dealership. They gave me a loaner car. Today they called an said the tech who install engine said he did everything right. Common sense tells me he wouldn't say he screwed up. So now I have to wait for the transmission techs to look at it.since Monday I had not noticed transmission noises used reverse several times. Ca ran good until yesterday episode. So I now have a case of the royal red ass. When this is resolved I know the dealership is going to say if you have any problems let us know my response is the only problem I'm going to have is selling this piece of crap car. I'm totally livid over this.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the tech who install engine said he did everything right
is modern man really this stupid?

The only sensible thing the dealership can say is a DIFFERENT tech (better yet a hard-nosed senior technician who has no friends on the floor) reviewed the installation and it was correct. Of course the original tech isn't going to admit he screwed up, if for no other reason it probably comes out of his paycheck and he's probably dumb enough not to recognize his original error.

The problem with having a peer review the work is the two are probably chummy and he's not going to rat out his friend. Not to mention the service manager who should be a ruthless hardass on his staff (where it concerns doing the work correctly, every time) is probably incentivised to lie about mistakes and try to cram the rework cost down the customer's throat.

Whatever happened to doing the GD job right and taking responsibility for any and all mistakes, no questions asked?

Deleted member

[QUOTE="shogun32, post: 2663883, member: 39823"

Whatever happened to doing the GD job right and taking responsibility for any and all mistakes, no questions asked?[/QUOTE]

Its 2019, no one cares about that anymore unfortunately.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever happened to doing the GD job right and taking responsibility for any and all mistakes, no questions asked?
People abused "the customer is always right" motto. Go basically anywhere and htere will be someone trying to screw the store over by just screaming loudly basically.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I'm not prouder, but I'm louder.

Is this vehicle an automatic, or manual? Assuming automatic. Maybe it has something with the tune you removed that dealer doesn't know about? Seems to me Ford has done you right, gave you a loaner, saved miles on your car will bring repaired. Doing a repair that they legally shouldn't be doing under warranty.
Why do people think we live in an a perfect world with mechanical devices. Personally I think you should be taking Dunkin donuts and coffee to service department everyday.
Sponsored

Last edited: