Cargo Hold-downs

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Yeah, the impact wrench--I'd go half-inch instead of quarter--is a good idea, but the one advantage of the electric jack I have is that it works off the car battery, which is (presumably) always charged. I think even lithium batteries self-discharge over time--I may be wrong, I use and charge mine regularly--and you could have a dead battery when you need it (unless you pull it out and dis/charge it regularly, I think 'topping off' Li-ion batteries may not be good for their lifespan). Of course, impact wrenches are great for spinning lug nuts off and on, but even my DeWalt 20V half-inch won't put the full 150lb-feet on the nuts.
The lithium ion batteries hold a charge for a long time. The one I use for a jump pack can sit unused for 6 months and only lose between 4-6%. I check and top it off every 6 months or so. I don't think topping off liion batteries is a bad thing. I don't carry power tools as a matter of course. That's what the ratcheting breaker bar is for, 18" of breaker with 18" of cheater is more than enough to break loose the lugs and the ratcheting makes jacking easy enough by hand without all the extra bulk. Like I said, everything except the jump pack and tool kit fits with the spare and those fit in the expandable storage which leaves the trunk 80% empty.
It works for me...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Well, ain't this just fine and dandy: I tried to order the 'gripper' mat from CJP through PayPal; PP debited my credit card, then credited it back. Got no notifications whatsoever from CJP, tried to set up an account but couldn't get them to send an email verification email (with link). Finally got a chat person; I asked if it was 'backordered,' s/he said "No, it's out of stock." To me, when an item is out of stock and an order will be delayed, it's friggin' 'backordered,' and the would-be customer should be informed and given the option to cancel the order (I can wait, I've lived without it for 2 years already). I told the chatperson "This is costing you $$$ at the busiest time of year" and s/he says "I'll tell IT; you're not the only one with the problem." I've ordered from them before with no issues.

I signed off with 'Unbelievable.'

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Hate that you're getting such bad service from them. It'll be worth the wait. This is the second one I've had (also had one in an '05 GT) and it's a lot better than having all those boxes and nets in your trunk. You might try contacting Fender Gripper and buying it directly even though they don't show it on their site.

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Just now got a 'delayed order' email from CJP; guess the 'squeaky wheel does get the grease.'

101a

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost 101a
I drilled holes into the backseats and riveted a tie down for each side. I thought they'd be sheet metal backs but it's just molded plastic with inconvenient diamond patters on the backside.
IMG_4794.jpeg

IMG_4809.jpeg

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
They work, but leave the carpet all raggedy (you need to shave that), eventually leaving bald spots. But since I have a rubber mat, couldn't use them anyway :).
JC, I believe you're right. I'm starting to see this in mine. :frown:
I've edited my original post.

So, back to the drawing board. I need another solution. And sadly, nothing comes even close to that. Once I've become accustomed to the versatility of this system, nothing else seems to do. :frown:
Maybe I could get a rubber mat, then order the other version, the one for rubber linings. 🤔

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I have a weathertech cargo liner, but you can buy 3M velcro strips at any store pretty much, glue them where you want, and then get one of those cargo bags with velcro attachments (or just stick more velcro to that).

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I just installed the rubber mat from CJPony and I'm quite happy with it. CJ, not so much: at first, they didn't have it in stock, but neglected to inform me, and when I finally got a response from them I was OK. But then, I tried to create an account with them--required to track progress--their system had a problem (I did get some help from a customer service person; acct. eventually created). When the mat did finally arrive, the 'sales order' inside the box was for someone else, and I thought for a moment "Damn, they sent the wrong thing!" but it was correct but a bit confusing because the mat is actually from a company apparently better known for fender protectors. Presumably, the guy whose sales order I got now has 'my' mat.

Anyway, the mat works as advertised; stuff, except for things that will roll easily, stick to the mat and don't slide around. Supposedly, it should have come with a template for a cutout for the woofers in the trunk, but didn't. It's easy enough to mark where to cut, and I think I got a better fit because the template just lops the right/rear part of the mat off, but I made a more precise cut to fit around the woofer brackets.

Note they have two versions: one with a 'GT' logo, and one with a pony and 'Mustang.' I got the latter, and I like it, but might have gone for the 'GT' if I'd seen it.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Glad you like it. How do you think it compares to using boxes/containers?

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Glad you like it. How do you think it compares to using boxes/containers?
It's better suited for my needs; I have tools, an electric jack and emergency stuff in the trunk (which some seem to think is silly, but I like having them, along with a spare tire/wheel). Boxes and containers would take up even more space.
Sponsored