Car shipping

Somepothead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Currently walking: Ordered a 2021 Mach 1
Hi. Can someone give me a recommendation for a shipping company at a decent price, I'm wondering what companies people are using to get their mustang's shipped to them. I went through uship.com, and their #1 recommended shipper was montway auto transport, and so far my experience with them has been pretty bad. They dont give any updates on their orders, they cant give me a realistic time frame of when they will pick up my car, and they still haven't even scheduled a driver for my order that I placed about 10 days ago, with a scheduled pick up date, which would be somewhat okay if they actually kept me updated. Today was my first scheduled pick up date, and when I called to check on the order, they said they dont know when my car will be picked up, and they dont know when they will be able to find a driver to pick my car up. It would have been nice to know they weren't going to pick up my car on the scheduled pick up date, but they left me in the dark about that. I called them to ask about it. They said they might be able to pick it up by August 6th. I dont like the word "might" in this equation, I cancelled my order. I'm looking for another shipper as we speak.
Sponsored

Pardsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mustang Mach 1
Aside from Reliable and Intercity, Mecum is good too. Donā€™t cheap out. Get a known and trusted enclosed carrier.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Your experience with Montway sounds a lot like what what I went through dealing with Plycar (based on my experience I would not recommend them either). I think the shipping/logistics biz is sorta šŸ’© right now

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I just contracted Rob with TCI logistics for an enclosed carrier. Good price and so far responsive.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Is renting a truck and trailer out of the question? I just went through this two months ago. I looked at shipping from Kansas City to Sarasota Florida and finally decided that I should just drive it and enjoy it. Iā€™m glad I did too, as it was a fun 24+ hours of windshield time.

OP
OP

Somepothead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Aside from Reliable and Intercity, Mecum is good too. Donā€™t cheap out. Get a known and trusted enclosed carrier.
It's funny. If you look at montway auto transport on uship.com's website. It's their #1 recommended shipper with the HIGHEST: rating, approval rate, and reviews. If you look on Yelp though, montway is like a 2 or a 2.5/5. I didn't realize that until after I cancelled and started looking at real reviews. I guess I finally decided I just have to wait a month. Build up p.t.o., and fly out and pick the car up and drive it back to seattle area. It sucks waiting another month, but I cant find any company willing to ship it any time soon. They say there are no other cars to contract in the area heading from Iowa to washington, and none of the truckers want to do a 1 car job apparently, unless I'm basically willing to pay double my quoted price, and honestly I dont want to pay 2500-3,000$ for open shipping. I thought going through montway was going through a trusted shipping broker with their 22,000 reviews on uship.com šŸ˜©

LowFlying65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
FJG Mach1 # M3579
I keep going back and forth on whether I'll drive it back or ship it. Seeing some of the frustrations others are experiencing with shipping, I'm back to leaning towards driving it. Thanks to all for posting valuable information.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I guess I finally decided I just have to wait a month. Build up p.t.o., and fly out and pick the car up and drive it back to seattle area.
Factor in a couple of cool stops on the way and as they say at the amusement parks, ā€œenjoy your ride!ā€

OP
OP

Somepothead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I keep going back and forth on whether I'll drive it back or ship it. Seeing some of the frustrations others are experiencing with shipping, I'm back to leaning towards driving it. Thanks to all for posting valuable information.
If you can take the time off work to pick it up, I think it's the best bet. There's a couple positives. A huge amount of money savings (but you lose your time, so if you're the type of person who says "time is money" this might not be the method for you) and when you get home, your car will be past the break in period, so then you can really let it loose in your home area. Also, you get to take a trip and see some scenery, which is nice to me, since I never been on a road trip like this before.

Last edited:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If you can take the time off work to pick it up, I think it's the best bet. There's a couple positives. A huge amount of money savings (but you lose your time, so if you're the type of person who says "time is money" this might not be the method for you) and when you get home, your car will be past the break in period, so then you can really let it loose in your home area. Also, you get to take a trip and see some scenery, which is nice to me, since I never been on a road trip like this before.
1700 miles is a lot for a road trip in a new car a lot of things can happen. However it sound like a fun trip but you need at least a few days off if not more. When I bought my Mustang it was in Germany (1500 km / 932 miles) so I decided to ship it though I regret not going out to pick up the car it would have been so much fun to drive such a trip with the car.

OP
OP

Somepothead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1700 miles is a lot for a road trip in a new car a lot of things can happen. However it sound like a fun trip but you need at least a few days off if not more. When I bought my Mustang it was in Germany (1500 km / 932 miles) so I decided to ship it though I regret not going out to pick up the car it would have been so much fun to drive such a trip with the car.
It's a 26 hour drive. I think I'd just bang it out in 3 days. 10 hours a day. And id split that probably into 2 separate 5 hour drivers per day, with breaks and sight seeing and food in between. Maybe hit up a famous skatepark or two along the way as I'm an advid skateboarder. But you're not wrong. A lot of things COULD happen, and it could completely throw off my trip. But I'm pretty sure it's the route I'm going to take if I cant find an immediate shipper for less than 2000$

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
I just shipped a Cayman GTS from NY to Cali. It was about $2K and very slow to get a date. It s all got to do with the used car market the last year and lack of transporters.
The way most of the shippers work is that you call them with the details and they put it out for contract with private drivers. Anytime a car was coming to me I flew and drove it home. It s exciting and memorable . My ordered Mach 1 will be about a 5-6 hour drive home.
Sponsored