REVTMOLO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Okay, heres the backstory:
I took my 16 GT to a local dealer for the backup camera wiring recall. My camera did black out occasionally or completely distorts the image which is what the recall was going to fix.

I get the car back after the recall and think "Wow. Strange I never noticed how blurry this camera is." Attributing it to me driving my wife's 2020 Gladiator with a really clear backup camera. A week or so after my wife gets in the car and says "Wow, your backup camera is terrible. I thought they fixed it?"

In a nutshell the camera clarity is most definitely worse after the recall and it still occasionally blacks out on me. I contacted the dealer and he said (Get this...): "Well maybe it seems blurrier because there's good wiring in there now..."

I told him that doesn't make sense and rescheduled to have it looked at again. They said the camera is the problem and it's like $350 or something like that to have it replaced and the camera's were indefinitely backordered.

😳 :rolleyes:

Annnnd here's what I'm trying to figure out:
  1. Was the recall just for the wiring harness or the camera as well? Depending on where I look I get two different stories.

2. It does appear the camera's are on backorder. I don't mind turning wrenches and doing the install myself. Does anyone know where I can source new? I don't even care if it's aftermarket, I just need to get a camera that works properly.
  3. Gut Check: Should I say the hell with it and just buy a used one? I've found a few on eBay for like $40 but that feels like I'm just inviting in more headaches and doing the job twice.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I don't know the answer to #1 but shouldn't the work order say?
#2 replacing the camera is not hard BUT it will have to be calibrated in the BCM or you will lose some functionality- like the lines.
#3 any used part is a gamble. Are you willing to lose and do the work twice? Also I think that programming will still be needed.

OP
OP
REVTMOLO

REVTMOLO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I don't know the answer to #1 but shouldn't the work order say?
I don't know that the WO said anything beyond the harness being replaced.

#2 replacing the camera is not hard BUT it will have to be calibrated in the BCM or you will lose some functionality- like the lines.
Ah hell, I forgot about that part.

#3 any used part is a gamble. Are you willing to lose and do the work twice? Also I think that programming will still be needed.
Yeah that was exactly why I put it out there. Let's call it a bit of a sanity check. My 15 had a fuzzy camera, Both of my wife's Edge's (A 13 Limited and a 16 Sport) and it seems like lots of other people complain about them not lasting more than a few years so it does seem like more of a gamble than it is worth.

Maybe I'll try reseating all the connections too. Can't hurt at this point.

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
Did you try cleaning the camera lens? Mine get very dirty sometimes.
Also on some ford trucks the backup camera cable is rapped around the ebrake cable I stopped use my ebrake and my backup camera stopped blacking out. Same fix for a friend with a f250.

OP
OP
REVTMOLO

REVTMOLO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Are you referring to the actual camera lens or the cover on the exterior. It doesn't look like it has anything to do with it needing to be cleaned, but I'm certainly willing to give it a go!

Sponsored

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Just for reference:
1670255466333.png
Looks like what they ever did did not fix the recall issue. That is the kind of screen the recall is supposed to fix.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Just for reference:
1670255466333.png

Hold on. You thought this might be normal, just a little blurry compared to previously? How did you even leave the dealer without showing this to them immediately?

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
This recall has been a joke. I had it fixed in 2017 and paid for it out of pocket. Never had any issues with it since so I am glad I took care of it when I did. The recall is just for the wiring harness, anything wrong with the camera itself would probably need to be paid out of pocket. Replacing the camera isn't difficult but does require work to be done. Need to take off the rear black deck lid panel and then swap the camera unit out.

If I were you, honestly I would just hold off on getting the recall done for now if there aren't many issues going on with it right now... so many people are trying to get it done right now and there are plenty of headaches that the dealers are making because of it. Maybe this time next year the dealers will have parts available or competence to make sure the recall is done correctly.

OP, I don't think it is necessary for you to buy a used camera if the current one is working okay. I would just wait a bit before getting the recall done.

Sponsored
OP
OP
REVTMOLO

REVTMOLO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Ha, I should have been clearer! No, this just happens occasionally. Here is a pic of it in it's working state:

1670262449566.png

hard to take a pic of it.

OP
OP
REVTMOLO

REVTMOLO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
OP, I don't think it is necessary for you to buy a used camera if the current one is working okay. I would just wait a bit before getting the recall done.
Man, I already had it done. Didn't fix the problem, but it was already performed.

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Ha, I should have been clearer! No, this just happens occasionally. Here is a pic of it in it's working state:

1670262449566.png

hard to take a pic of it.
Even if the distorted screen still happens occasionally, it is still not fixed. When I had a 2015 EB, my backup camera would sometimes not work, sometimes be distorted like yours, and sometimes fine. There is still a problem in your backup camera cable.

OP
OP
REVTMOLO

REVTMOLO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I don't disagree. I'm thinking I should take it to a different dealership.

OP
OP
REVTMOLO

REVTMOLO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
So help me, this just keeps getting worse. Pulled into my driveway, turned the wheel and heard a bunch of crunching noise. Pretty sure the power steering rack is toast. 🙄

Man... Can't make this stuff up!
Sponsored