Sponsored

NHTSB Recall 22V-082: Faulty Rear Camera/Harness - My experience

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Anyone with a 2015-2017 Mustang knows that the rear camera harness is faulty. I've had to fix it twice, and the issue has popped back up again. Ford finally issued a recall for it, driven by the NHTSB. Here's my experience in attempting to get my dealership to resolve the problem. Hell, I posted a full write-up, with pictures, on Mustang6G on resolving the problem.

I made an appointment to have Jones Ford, in Charleston, SC, (the dealership from whom the vehicle was purchased new) make the fix in accordance with the NHTSB notice. I was assured by the service advisor that they were able to obtain parts.

I dropped the vehicle on 14-NOV-2022, and was told the fix would take a couple of days. On 16-NOV, I called and spoke with a service advisor, who told me that the part was on a nationwide backorder, and I should come pick up the vehicle. I was unable to make it to the dealer that day, but on 17-NOV, I had a voicemail from Chris James (service manager), telling me that the recall had been completed, and I should come get the vehicle. I got to the dealership that afternoon, and examined the wiring harness. It had not been repaired or replaced, but the technician had marked the procedure complete and closed the service request. The service advisor (Brittany) was unable to find a record of a part being pulled, or any specific repair being completed, but assured me that she could get me back in to have the recall completed by the same technician. I told her and Chris James that I didn't want the vehicle touched by another tech at that dealership again and left.

I then found out that the recall was marked as completed in my Ford Owner account, as well as in the NHTSB recall notification system. I attempted to lodge a complaint with Ford customer service, but was told that I needed to resolve the dispute with the dealership. I contacted Marty Maghakian, the Jones Ford Director of Customer Relations, on 12-JAN-2023, and explained the situation over the phone. He assured me that he would usher the vehicle through the recall process, personally, and that in the past, Jones had dealt with service techs receiving recall parts, and rather than completing the recall at a low rate, would throw away the parts and mark the recall complete. He was put in that role to fix the issues and resolve their reputational issues, which culminated in an audit and probationary period for the dealership. His words. He promised me a call back the next day, and said he'd have me scheduled with their senior tech in charge of vehicle electrical systems. I never received a call from Marty, despite me reaching out and leaving voicemails over a half dozen times.

Yesterday afternoon (23-JAN), I spoke with Michael Walters (one of the co-owners of Jones Ford) and Chris James. They informed me that the Ford bulletin for the safety recall specified that they were to inspect, not repair or replace the harness, and that there should never be an expectation of a working or functional system or subsystems after a recall is completed. This, despite the fact that Safety Recall Report 22V-082 indicates "Owners will be notified...to have the rear view camera replaced and/or decklid wiring harness inspected and replaced." It further states "The updated harness removes the rigid scroll tube and prevents harness damage." I provided the attached screenshot to Michael as we were on the phone, and they declined to discuss those specific aspects, only restating that Ford only authorizes them to inspect the harness, not repair or replace. They offered to have my vehicle re-inspected by a tech at their dealership, then submit an appeal to Ford, which I declined, as I have no faith in the honesty of their techs or their management. I indicated that I would seek alternative means of becoming whole in this situation.

If the tech had inspected the harness, he/she would have seen the breaks and damage to it, and verified that repairs had been made. If the tech had inspected the operation of the camera, he/she would have seen that the image is often broken by horizontal lines, the camera is inop at certain periods, and partially operable in others. According to the NHTSB notice, repair or replace would have followed inspect. I attempted to discuss this with Michael and Chris, and got nowhere.

How many other people have had this happen to them, but not had the wherewithal or knowledge of vehicle parts or systems to identify the issue?

I've since submitted the above to two local news stations in the Charleston area. I plan to submit it to additional stations, but wanted to see if anyone has actually been able to get the harness replaced.

JR

Safety Campaign 22V-082.jpg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It’s unfortunate that you’re having to deal with the BS at that Dealership.

You should contact the NHTSA directly and let them know that the Dealership is refusing to repair your vehicle based on a MANDATORY NHTSA Recall.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/about-nhtsa/contact-us

The Dealership isn’t just required to “inspect”, they’re required to inspect, diagnose an existing issue pertaining to the NHTSA Recall, AND repair as required by the Recall.

The Dealership is totally in the wrong as to how they are treating you AND for falsely claiming the repair was performed.

*** Pay specific attention to the pdf in the below link,, because that is communication directly from Ford instructing the Dealers how to deal with the Recall.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCMN-22V082-8358.pdf

Report that Dealer to the NHTSA, because if they were not honest with you, then how many other Customers are they literally lying to and claiming they performed XYZ Recall repairs - but aren’t? That’s a real problem and concern. An NHTSA Recall is issued for a Manufacturer defect that is a public SAFETY issue, regardless of how big or small an issue it may be, it’s enough for the NHTSA to get involved and make the Manufacturer correct a SAFETY concern.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s unfortunate that you’re having to deal with the BS at that Dealership.

You should contact the NHTSA directly and let them know that the Dealership is refusing to repair your vehicle based on a MANDATORY NHTSA Recall.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/about-nhtsa/contact-us

The Dealership isn’t just required to “inspect”, they’re required to inspect, diagnose an existing issue pertaining to the NHTSA Recall, AND repair as required by the Recall.

The Dealership is totally in the wrong as to how they are treating you AND for falsely claiming the repair was performed.

*** Pay specific attention to the pdf in the below link,, because that is communication directly from Ford instructing the Dealers how to deal with the Recall.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCMN-22V082-8358.pdf

Report that Dealer to the NHTSA, because if they were not honest with you, then how many other Customers are they literally lying to and claiming they performed XYZ Recall repairs - but aren’t? That’s a real problem and concern. An NHTSA Recall is issued for a Manufacturer defect that is a public SAFETY issue, regardless of how big or small an issue it may be, it’s enough for the NHTSA to get involved and make the Manufacturer correct a SAFETY concern.
Thank you for this. I actually did contact NHTSA, and they emailed me back with a phone number to call and make a report, but I've not had the chance to get on the phone. I do plan to spend some time on the phone tomorrow to make a full report to the NHTSA.

It's pretty ridiculous that a service manager AND the part owner of a dealership would lie to me about this, but I'm not surprised. They don't make money on recalls, but they will DEFINITELY lose money in the long term. I'll do everything I can to get the word out about their shadiness.

JR

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It appears that this has come to a close, so I'm going to post an update and a warning.

I ended up contacting the Federal Trade Commission and the South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs. The FTC has not responded to my complaint, but SC DCA did. I provided all evidence of the interactions, and Jones Ford basically just kept saying that they were sorry I wasn't satisfied by the experience, but my vehicle was not eligible for the recall.

I even went as far as to provide the specific PDF of the NHTSA recall with the steps the dealership would need to go through, with annotations on the applicability of each step. Jones continued to say that my vehicle wasn't eligible, and as SC DCA determined that this was a "reasonable response", they closed the complaint. To their credit, DCA did indicate that there was nothing binding that they could do, and that they could only facilitate the interaction between the business and consumer to attempt a reasonable resolution.

I'm not hopeful that the FTC will provide a successful resolution, so I'm just going to fix the damn problem myself. The wiring harness jumper has a part number of FR3Z-14A411-X, and I'm just going to order it and install once it gets here.

Anyway, here's the warning...

A dealer can and will do anything they can do to screw you. This dealership was great during the sales process and completely terrible during post-sale support. If you have a good dealer that you trust, hold on to that connection.

JR
Sponsored