Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
What we are calling "hood vents" are properly "heat extractors".

By design, at speed, the pressure behind the bulge (where the blinker is on '16s) lowers and higher pressure, hot air from inside the engine compartment is drawn out. There was a good wind-tunnel smoke test video made a few years back. Kind of a neat design.
And precisely why my open Roush airbox quickly returns to near ambient once moving as it's directly under the extractor. In addition, the OEM grille duct attached to the filter box feeds air in and allows the extractor to more easily perform its function.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the Mustang "extractor" is a complete joke. the ones on my CHallenger however I can feel the rising air column with my hand.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
the Mustang "extractor" is a complete joke. the ones on my CHallenger however I can feel the rising air column with my hand.
I disagree. The extractors on my '16 are perfectly useful blinkers.

:wink:

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Not a problem with the stock hood vents. Even what water does enter the vent just drains out the bottom of the air box.

It's actually not even a problem for the filter element to get wet. The engine will just pull humid air until it dries out. It's an old Dyno trick to inflate numbers. Humid air gives a slight compression boost since the water it contains is not compressible.
Water vapor is plenty compressible.

OP
OP
Grayghostcoyote

Grayghostcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10r80
I will strongly disagree ... the extractors on my 21 GT work and work well ... IF you dump the stock hood vent covers an get a aftermarket one like my roush ones.

Sponsored

johnnytequila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 performance blue GT350
The heat extractors on the GT350 hood are absolutely functional and are not for looks. Otherwise it would have been blocked off. Every piece on the Shelby have a purpose. This isn’t your 70’s/80’s car with fake vents and cheap graphics. It worked so well they made a larger one for the GT500 due to creating more heat from the supercharger

6D7CB1D9-65B0-4177-8D72-B665941EDCFD.jpeg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I will strongly disagree ... the extractors on my 21 GT work and work well ... IF you dump the stock hood vent covers an get a aftermarket one like my roush ones.
hey, 3rd party can solve all sorts of warts. But changing covers does nothing to address the TINY slit that's in the hood. The opening in the Challenger is bigger than my fist.

The Mustang (not GT350/500) has a serious problem with venting and the only way to actually solve is is TrackVents or similar. Or an aftermarket hood that patterns after the aforementioned Shelby versions.

Reactions: GTP

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
When my filter got soaked the car idled wildly. A/F swung back and forth 2.5 points. Surged at speed. Bucked at takeoff. Must have been really wet. Stock hood vents.

Looking forward to going back to the closed air box. Thinking about adding real hood vents.
On my Roush set up, the airbox is closed. But i also have roush hood vents that allow water in engine bay, but i added the black plastic part and problem solved,

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
If you use a GT350 airbox on a GT you also need to change the hood liner. It redirects the water so it doesn't drop onto the air filter. Go have a look at a Bullitt or a Mach1 that also have this airbox design. Check the hood liner and you will see what I mean.
1000% right!!!!
Anthony

OP
OP
Grayghostcoyote

Grayghostcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10r80
what issue??? I have NO issues with my 21 with venting....my engine temps and AIT's stay normal and in good working order. Only if those hood vents on the dodge made those boats faster though :crackup:

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

Can't resist how fast do you run to feel that rising air column?

Who has their hand over the vent (oops pardon me the extractor) you or the wife....LMAO