Brake Dust

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
My 2021 GT with the PP, seems to me anyway, to have a ton of brake dust on the front wheels each time I come home, even if for a short trip. My question is: Is this normal, I have only 550 miles on it, and wonder if it's because it is relatively new and will this lessen as time goes on? I feel like I have to clean the wheels every time I drive it, as it looks dull, compared to the rear wheels, with the dust all over it.
Sponsored

js19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Nope that’s normal for a PP unfortunately. You can switch out the brake pads and/or ceramic coat your wheels to try to limit it though.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes, the OEM brake pads that come with the Brembo brakes are soft. This is a good thing, partly because they allow you to modulate the brake force very finely and precisely, instead of feeling like an on-off switch, and partly because they wear out themselves, instead of eating the rotors. It's easier and cheaper to replace the pads than to replace the rotors. The downside is, of course, that they make a lot of dust.
Personally, I prefer the pads to be soft, for the two reasons mentioned above. Dust is a nuisance, indeed, but it's nothing I can't live with. I just wash the wheels often, and that's it.

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah they dust a lot. Great perfoming pads tho, and the dust washes off easily.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
I switched to powerstop pads shortly after getting mine new. No more dust. I did start using turtle wax ice seal n shine on my wheels with stock pads and really cut down on the dust sticking to the wheels.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jblue

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
Yeah they dust a lot. Great perfoming pads tho, and the dust washes off easily.
Yes, thanks for the reply. It's just not fun, but I clean them before every drive. I've learned from a few other replies to my post, that they are soft pads, etc. I didn't know that. I did have a car previously that had brembos, and it was just about the same thing, except those wheels were silver and it showed even more. I guess I'll live with it, and really get to know my front wheels intimately!

rcald

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt L3483 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I switched to powerstop pads shortly after getting mine new. No more dust. I did start using turtle wax ice seal n shine on my wheels with stock pads and really cut down on the dust sticking to the wheels.
What's the model # of them ( looks like they have four or five)?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I keep a microfibre towel to lightly dust off my wheels. Rinse out the towel after a few weeks, wash it and reuse.

Deleted member 35775

Man, I couldn't stand the brake dust! Wheels simply were never clean enough for me. I switched to ceramic pads and it's a night and day difference. There is no discernible difference - to me - stopping the car with the ceramic pads.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
What's the model # of them ( looks like they have four or five)?
I believe mine are the Z26 extreme street. It’s mind blowing how big the pads are. Had no idea till they arrived. Lol

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I couldn't stand the dust either. Shiny black wheels looked dull brown within 100 miles.
I finally swapped over to Powerstop Z23 pads at all four corners. Car still stops fine (feel has less bite), but in the first month I haven't even felt the need to clean the wheels!

BTW, I also track my car and then I swap out rotors and pads.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
feel has less bite
Unfortunately this would be an absolute show stopper for me. :blush:

Are there any pads that feel and perform exactly like the original ones in all respects (initial bite, brake force linearity, stopping power, fade resistance, etc.), but with less noise and less dust?

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
OEM PP pads irritated me for the insane amount of dust, the howling when braking during highway driving, and the on/off pedal engagement. Not fun for a daily driver IMO.

I installed PowerStop Z26 pads and the pedal now bites in response to pedal articulation and urgency, there is nearly no dust, and they are silent. Much, much better now.

— Mike

Last edited:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Unfortunately this would be an absolute show stopper for me. :blush:

Are there any pads that feel and perform exactly like the original ones in all respects (initial bite, brake force linearity, stopping power, fade resistance, etc.), but with less noise and less dust?
No.
There. I just saved you hours of wasted research time.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Get rust colored wheels. Ceramic coating does help.
Sponsored