Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I'm lost as to where you're going with this? Are you against changing pads or for it?

Having run Hawk HPS on another car I definitely had better braking response than with OEM and had the added benifit of less brake dust.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Whatever doesn't give away braking performance, regardless of dusting. I wasn't happy with the braking performance HPS on my '08, or with mass-market ceramics on another car, particularly with respect to initial bite.

That's a bit at odds with some earlier experience I had with HPS on two other cars (a Mazda 626 and a Nissan Maxima), though over time and accumulated mileage I have become a lot less happy with those as well (very poor initial bite if the car doesn't get driven most every day, takes more than a few stops to bring them back once they've "gone off" . . . I'm talking worse than cold track pads "off" here). Hence I won't be recommending them.

Carbotech's 1521/Bobcats may be a bit better than most OE, but I think that it'd take their AX6 to equal or exceed the OE PP pads for performance. Don't know how badly the AX6 or even the 1521 dust, though. AX6's are on my short list for at least one of my other cars, whatever dusting they put up be damned.

Norm

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
I've used this product with some success:

The brake dust will still eventually accumulate, but it keeps the wheels looking much nicer for longer in between washes. Michelin and Meguiars also make similar products.

Burkcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT | PP | Race Red
I hate brake dust as well....I will gladly give up some braking in trade for no dust. Ceramic pads are the only option that has worked for me in the past. I have not found any for the PP cars yet.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
There can be an argument for either product. When I had my Evo it had very strong braking capability (Brembo) and I avoided colliding with a car in front of me during a traffic wreck. However I braked so hard and well that the car behind me could not stop fast enough and rear ended me.

I'd give up some "initial bite" to have less dust. I wouldn't give up significant performance, but a couple feet from 70-0 isn't a main concern when 98% of the cars on the road have worse braking capability than ours anyways.

Situational awareness and defensive driving are worth more to me than a few feet off a tested stopping distance. It's kept me accident free for over a decade.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Generally you can modulate down how hard you're using the brakes once you're into them, but you can't modulate the initial bite upward . . . and if you get hit before you can do this (assuming that you can afford to give up some stopping distance), you were going to get hit anyway.

At least glancing in your mirror is something you should be doing every time you make a stop that's harder than "typical normal driving".

Norm

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm waiting for the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads to come out for our cars. Supposed to be lower dust like ceramics but the bite of the HPS from what I understand. All I know is that I hate the dust these stock pads make. Drives me insane.

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
Update? Couldn't find any info on Hawk pads

Ylwjkt23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I've had really good results with the Power Stop Z26 pads.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
I am a big fan of the initial bite of the OE pads. Do those Power Stop Z26 pads offer a similar feel?

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
using powerstop Z23 pads from rockauto, got a full set for PP brakes for $90 shipped. A little less touchy and bitey than OEM PPs but the dust is gone.

Ylwjkt23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I haven't used them on the Mustang yet, but I use the Z26 on my other 2 cars with the 6 piston Brembos, a Camaro and a Hellcat, and I haven't noticed a difference.
I ordered a front set for the Mustang just the other day.
I typically don't change the rear as they don't seem to dust as badly.
Part number for the PP Brembos is Z26-1792.
Rock Auto has them for $66.79 and $5.99 shipping.

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/PP, 2004 BMW M3 Coupe
There can be an argument for either product. When I had my Evo it had very strong braking capability (Brembo) and I avoided colliding with a car in front of me during a traffic wreck. However I braked so hard and well that the car behind me could not stop fast enough and rear ended me.

I'd give up some "initial bite" to have less dust. I wouldn't give up significant performance, but a couple feet from 70-0 isn't a main concern when 98% of the cars on the road have worse braking capability than ours anyways.

Situational awareness and defensive driving are worth more to me than a few feet off a tested stopping distance. It's kept me accident free for over a decade.
It's not about "a couple" feet. Actual stopping distance is irrelevant.

The point of really grippy/big brakes is pedal feel, power and modulation that's consistent from temp AND pedal pressure standpoints.

Having the same amount of stopping power for a given pedal pressure regardless of rotor/pad temp (within reason) has an exponential affect on increased driver confidence.

When you "give up a little bite" you're giving up that consistency and thus that confidence, which is FAR worse than simply giving up a couple feet as it would seem on the surface. Less bite = less fiction = less stopping power, period. The problem with low dust pads is that they've poor 'cold' friction (power) and then quickly increase in power as the temp rises. This is complete garbage for any type of street driving because you never know what you're going to get.

Look, I 'get' wanting less dust but in my experience low dust pads essentially neuter the brakes which contradicts the entire point of the PP package. Been there done that on my Bimmers, no thanks. Wash the car more often or use a repellant but please, for the love of god don't run low dust pads on a PP.

Last edited:

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
get better tires if you want shorter stopping distances

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I have been using Armor All Outlast Brake Dust Repellent for the past four months and it is awesome. I only have to clean my PP wheels every other time the car is washed. Little to no dust after a couple of weeks.

One time after a wash I didn't have time to reapply it. Big mistake. Wheels were dusted in a day.
Sponsored