Blue smoke on start

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I've noticed slight amount of blue smoke and oil smell on start up.i started car remotely yesterday and could clearly see blue smoke for couple minutes.,I don't smell it while driving,nor when I start it during a drive.its a 19gt pp1 car auto.only 2000 miles on it.changed oil at1000 miles and noticed last week oil wash quart.low
Brought it to my dealer,,sandy springsbford today and had oil and filter ,and spoke with service guy about smoke.he did a leak test using uv light and couldnt see any oil.i told him the blue smoke was coming from the exhaust pipe inside,which tells me its coming through engine,it's not a leak.hes gonna do an oil consumption test tomorrow,whatever that it is.
I love the car and right now the blue smoke is more of a short annoyance.
I am not mechanically inclined,and the thought of them taking engine apart is not something I want to do.im on warranty.and have 10 year extended warranty.
Do you guys have any thoughts on worst case best case.eg rings,or maybe just fuel injectors adding gasoline to crankcase.im thinking I'll just drive it till it gets bad,then get engine fixed.any thoughts would be helpful.as usual.thanks
Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I've noticed slight amount of blue smoke and oil smell on start up.i started car remotely yesterday and could clearly see blue smoke for couple minutes.,I don't smell it while driving,nor when I start it during a drive.its a 19gt pp1 car auto.only 2000 miles on it.changed oil at1000 miles and noticed last week oil wash quart.low
Brought it to my dealer,,sandy springsbford today and had oil and filter ,and spoke with service guy about smoke.he did a leak test using uv light and couldnt see any oil.i told him the blue smoke was coming from the exhaust pipe inside,which tells me its coming through engine,it's not a leak.hes gonna do an oil consumption test tomorrow,whatever that it is.
I love the car and right now the blue smoke is more of a short annoyance.
I am not mechanically inclined,and the thought of them taking engine apart is not something I want to do.im on warranty.and have 10 year extended warranty.
Do you guys have any thoughts on worst case best case.eg rings,or maybe just fuel injectors adding gasoline to crankcase.im thinking I'll just drive it till it gets bad,then get engine fixed.any thoughts would be helpful.as usual.thanks
Dont know about the Mustang GTs, but I have seen people talk about this with the GT350s and from what I've seen others say its common

Last edited:

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
Bad PCV valve ?

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
If that happen only once in a while, I would not worry about it
If that happen almost every single time, you have a serious issue, likely to be valve seal related

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
If that happen only once in a while, I would not worry about it
If that happen almost every single time, you have a serious issue, likely to be valve seal related
Thanks.it happens every time I start in am.after that it's been fine.just seems low mileage for valve stalls.thanks for input

Sponsored

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Catch cans? Just my $ 0.02!

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
Cold starts, also on warm or hot starts?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'd start with a new PCV valve; they cost less than $10. I changed it since day 1, since it was rattling, meaning it was bad, allowing oil to pass thru. I also decided to install a FP catch can, because my engine is consuming some oil. Not that much, but want the absolute minimum of oil going into my engine. So far it has been about 1/5-qt in over 3K miles, and I do a lot of engine braking, so not bad IMO.