Bilstein HD6

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
SP083 and Bilstein B6 combo? First drive?
Got a bit before that. Fronts aren't on and then I'll need an alignment.
Sponsored

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
Got the revision done on alignment. The latest "after" measurements:

Front
Left camber -2.0 Right Camber -2.0
Left Caster 7.4 Right Caster 7.6
Left Toe 0.00 Right Toe 0.02
Total Toe 0.02
Steer Ahead -0.01

Rear
Left Camber -1.6 Right Camber -1.4
Left Toe 0.11 Right Toe 0.11
Total Toe 0.22
Thrust Angle 0.00

Even on all season 255's here (it's 35 degrees out), this car is point-and-shoot.

Spring should be a blast with staggered wheels and wider stickier rubber.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Got the revision done on alignment. The latest "after" measurements:

Front
Left camber -2.0 Right Camber -2.0
Left Caster 7.4 Right Caster 7.6
Left Toe 0.00 Right Toe 0.02
Total Toe 0.02
Steer Ahead -0.01

Rear
Left Camber -1.6 Right Camber -1.4
Left Toe 0.11 Right Toe 0.11
Total Toe 0.22
Thrust Angle 0.00

Even on all season 255's here (it's 35 degrees out), this car is point-and-shoot.

Spring should be a blast with staggered wheels and wider stickier rubber.
Real nice! Good alignment settings.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
@Tuxedomouse How do the Bilsteins act on sharp bumps on the road? Can you give us a detailed review of your setup and what you think of them in terms of pros and cons?

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
@Tuxedomouse How do the Bilsteins act on sharp bumps on the road? Can you give us a detailed review of your setup and what you think of them in terms of pros and cons?
Stiffer/quicker to react than the factory PP dampers, but not ridiculously so. It's tough to judge since I changed so much when I installed them, but the control is awesome. Bridge expansion joints are not punishing, but a bit more abrupt on the highway. Control is increased, road feel is excellent.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Stiffer/quicker to react than the factory PP dampers, but not ridiculously so. It's tough to judge since I changed so much when I installed them, but the control is awesome. Bridge expansion joints are not punishing, but a bit more abrupt on the highway. Control is increased, road feel is excellent.
Most of that stiffness I'd say is the springs. The dampers are doing a great job.

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
Two years later, how are the Bilsteins holding up? Any of you boys still out there?

im just looking to get rid of the bounciness in my ā€˜15 PP factory setup. 7 years on and Iā€™m a bit over it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
im just looking to get rid of the bounciness in my ā€˜15 PP factory setup. 7 years on and Iā€™m a bit over it.
you lived with that shit for 7 years? What is wrong with you? :)
I got rid of mine in 7 weeks.

come up to NoVA, and you can sample at least 3 different setups, one of which is Bilstein.

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I donā€™t drive it much and part of my logic is that I want that factory PP setup that I paid for. I want to have this car for decades and not Frankenstein it like Iā€™ve done to my jeep and guns and all my other toys.

how does the Bilstein compare to the Ford Performance shocks and struts, if you have that experience? Iā€™m really just looking for comfort without sacrificing too much performance.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't the point to ENJOY trying to get some modicum of performance out when driving it?
you should probably go with the FP Track dampers then. But it's really close - the Bilsteins are just a little bit more tactile.

Sponsored

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isn't the point to ENJOY trying to get some modicum of performance out when driving it?
you should probably go with the FP Track dampers then. But it's really close - the Bilsteins are just a little bit more tactile.
I enjoy it plenty and this thing is my haven and sanctuary. Donā€™t be too presumptive. My constantly carsick wife does not enjoy riding as a passenger, so Iā€™m trying to make some compromises. She wants me to get rid of it and get a minivan, soā€¦ (ainā€™t happening but Iā€™m trying to be nice).
Iā€™ll check out the Ford track ones too. Thanks

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Two years later, how are the Bilsteins holding up? Any of you boys still out there?
Held up great ā€” they actually got better over time.

My constantly carsick wife does not enjoy riding as a passenger, so Iā€™m trying to make some compromises. She wants me to get rid of it and get a minivan, soā€¦ (ainā€™t happening but Iā€™m trying to be nice).
Iā€™ll check out the Ford track ones too. Thanks
I just sold the Mustang. Itā€™s sad, really, but Hawaiian roads just arenā€™t sport car friendly and my days of dealing with a firm ride for a great car are over.

That said, adjustable dampers are the way to go in your case. Tune them for maximum forgiveness on rebound and that will relax the ride far more than fixed monotube Ford Tracks or Bilsteins.

ā€” Mike

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That said, adjustable dampers are the way to go in your case. Tune them for maximum forgiveness on rebound and that will relax the ride far more than fixed monotube Ford Tracks or Bilsteins.
Thanks, Mike. Thatā€™s the kind of info I needed. Sorry to hear that you let the Mustang go but I totally understand the situation. I live in a state with an extremely aggressive police presence so the sports car here is also not ideal.

I hope you replaced it with something very nice.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well don't be a stranger and get together with your fellow m6g members here in ffx county. Johnny has bilstein, I've got fortune auto coilovers and Steeda proaction adjust combo, blue mustang has fp track.

If you want to try Steeda proactive I have a set on the shelf. They are a darn sight better than pp1, I just wouldn't use them with progressive springs.

The bilstein rebound is hardly tight. Ditto fp race. Personally I would want a touch more. But if you want to drive my car and play with the settings, you're welcome to do so.

Last edited:

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80

Still loving them!!!
Sponsored