Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
A quick install update:

Im still not comfortable with the CV boot clearance even though some say its fine. I know myself and would be pissed if I end a track day early AND have to replace the entire axle. GT350 cars and PP2 cars do not have this issue and have more clearance from the CV boot. I am going to swap my LCA to GT350 LCA and run the mounting bracket for a 350. Part of me doesn't mind because I have been wanting to swap out my Steeda RLCA bearing for a Cortex one due to the design differences. I talked to both MMR and MCS and both were supportive of the idea. I know other options like from RIdetech were mentioned but the way the MCS is assembled I rather just go with new LCA.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Welp. Life has its challenges. Looks like I’ll be sidelined for some time this year. Took car for a P0316 and P0308 code. Thought it was spark plug fix. Mechanic did compression test on 8 and came back 80psi. Cracked/broken ring land. Talked to Shaun at AED. New engine is needed. Talked to mechanic on a plan.

Gen 3 block
Gen 2 heads
350 ported IM
Gt500 oil pan and pump kit
47lb injector to run e85
L&M intake only cams(MAYBE)

Shaun said I should’ve switched to a race fuel tune or e85. Cylinder 8 gets very hot. At 30k mi on the car I didn’t expect to be in this position. Really sucks after doing everything I did this summer. Drove the car for the first time in 5 months after fixing the transmission issues. No summit Point on Friday for me.

Oh well. Such is life. Will update with the other progress and results on the other stuff I did

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Welp. Life has its challenges. Looks like I’ll be sidelined for some time this year. Took car for a P0316 and P0308 code. Thought it was spark plug fix. Mechanic did compression test on 8 and came back 80psi. Cracked/broken ring land. Talked to Shaun at AED. New engine is needed. Talked to mechanic on a plan.

Gen 3 block
Gen 2 heads
350 ported IM
Gt500 oil pan and pump kit
47lb injector to run e85
L&M intake only cams(MAYBE)

Shaun said I should’ve switched to a race fuel tune or e85. Cylinder 8 gets very hot. At 30k mi on the car I didn’t expect to be in this position. Really sucks after doing everything I did this summer. Drove the car for the first time in 5 months after fixing the transmission issues. No summit Point on Friday for me.

Oh well. Such is life. Will update with the other progress and results on the other stuff I did
omg both you and NightmareMoon lost your motors. That sucks dude. He has a thread going and is also planning on Gen 3 block / Gen 2 heads.

I had read a lot on the Ford Performance pages about the compatibility of blocks and heads after he started his thread. According to FP, grab Gen 2 heads and Gen 2 gasket, goes right on Gen 3 block no problem.

You definitely think it was heat related then since it was cylinder 8?

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
As I stated before, I was uncomfortable with the axle boot clearance. For the non MR cars Vorshlag makes a T bar that has a larger offset than the ones that come with the kit from MCS. I was lucky to find someone who bought a GT350 kit and swapped to a GT because man these little pieces are expensive. Also the springs from MMR were too short so I went with a 7” spring and a helper. Much better. You can see the difference in the clearance of the two set ups.
IMG_5422.jpeg

IMG_5421.jpeg

IMG_5128.jpeg

IMG_5127.jpeg

I bought GT500 LCA from Midway Mustang and put in SPL bearings.
IMG_5273.jpeg

funny thing is I did all this work to prevent having to deal with an axle boot tear but when I finished everything I saw some grease coming out of the passenger side axle boot lol. So I replaced that.
IMG_5308.jpeg

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
omg both you and NightmareMoon lost your motors. That sucks dude. He has a thread going and is also planning on Gen 3 block / Gen 2 heads.

I had read a lot on the Ford Performance pages about the compatibility of blocks and heads after he started his thread. According to FP, grab Gen 2 heads and Gen 2 gasket, goes right on Gen 3 block no problem.

You definitely think it was heat related then since it was cylinder 8?
Yea. To be fair Shaun at AED has told me that if I were to really start pushing my car , pump gas is not the way. I know several people have had no issues but going with e85 or race fuel will keep the spark plugs cooler. The engine runs fine and if it was for the CEL I wouldn’t have known.
Also I saw your pm. I’ll reply shortly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
took advantage of the Apex sale and went to 18s and Pirelli DH scrubs. Guess they will go in storage for the time being. Don’t worry @shogun32 I still plan on shopping at your store. This guy just basically gave them for free.
IMG_5378.jpeg

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yea. To be fair Shaun at AED has told me that if I were to really start pushing my car , pump gas is not the way. I know several people have had no issues but going with e85 or race fuel will keep the spark plugs cooler. The engine runs fine and if it was for the CEL I wouldn’t have known.
Did you run a crank relearn after the trans was reinstalled P codes for random missfires could be caused by crank relearn not finished sucessfully. I know I had a CEL with miss fires when I changed clutch and the shop missed the crank relearn 1 crank relearn later everything good for 2 years.

Otherwise sorry to hear about your engine ! Your plan sounds grate.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
The MCS front struts have a slotted top hole for camber to be adjusted at the spindle. This minimizes wheel and tire clearance depending on how pushed in the strut is. Since I already have camber plates and want to run wide tires, I decided to lock out the camber to prevent the bolt from slipping. After have a camber bolt slipping on me and ruining one of my wheels I have been traumatized. So I made film first CAS model a few months ago and found someone in one of the track enthusiasts FB groups who was able to cut them for me. Came out perfect and a very tight fit.
IMG_4982.jpeg

IMG_5337.jpeg

IMG_5339.jpeg

IMG_5347.jpeg

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Did you run a crank relearn after the trans was reinstalled P codes for random missfires could be caused by crank relearn not finished sucessfully. I know I had a CEL with miss fires when I changed clutch and the shop missed the crank relearn 1 crank relearn later everything good for 2 years.

Otherwise sorry to hear about your engine ! Your plan sounds grate.
Yup. I did multiple times because I was in disbelief.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Just to clarify, you were running a stock tune on the car? Did you have the oil balancing lines across the rear of the heads?

Race fuel only works if you have the cats removed. Which in itself becomes another headache if you want to stay remotely street legal.

Sorry to hear, but such is the life of a race car. It will come back bigger and stronger soon enough!

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yup. I did multiple times because I was in disbelief.
That's sad story. It's very annoying that you can't buy gen 2 short block anymore much more durable than a Gen 3. I suggest you check if you can fit in your budget an aluminator block will be better. I spend a lot of time researching options regarding engine rebuild when I had my money shift scare at Serres. But hopefully my compression was good so worst case I have some timing issues but with no Misfires or any CEL's and power there I hope I will avoid rebuilding for another few track days at least.

When I was looking though the Aluminator block looked as a better bet even though more expensive than a stock Gen 3 block. Both will do just fine.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Just to clarify, you were running a stock tune on the car? Did you have the oil balancing lines across the rear of the heads?

Race fuel only works if you have the cats removed. Which in itself becomes another headache if you want to stay remotely street legal.

Sorry to hear, but such is the life of a race car. It will come back bigger and stronger soon enough!
I was running 93 tune. Have been for years. I didn’t want to swap to different fuel because of the extra maintenance required. I don’t have the oil balancing lines. My mechanic said that could’ve helped.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
That's sad story. It's very annoying that you can't buy gen 2 short block anymore much more durable than a Gen 3. I suggest you check if you can fit in your budget an aluminator block will be better. I spend a lot of time researching options regarding engine rebuild when I had my money shift scare at Serres. But hopefully my compression was good so worst case I have some timing issues but with no Misfires or any CEL's and power there I hope I will avoid rebuilding for another few track days at least.

When I was looking though the Aluminator block looked as a better bet even though more expensive than a stock Gen 3 block. Both will do just fine.
I was looking at the aluminator block but then there are also people who have been on a regular block and have not had issues if everything else is put in place. I was told I should want the higher compression of a gen 3 over a gen 2. Could build one but for the 2500 price difference, that an oil cooler set up, GT500 oil pan and more.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra