Best Hood Struts?

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
How many of you have straight hoods after installing hood struts? Passenger and driver side level or is one higher or lower than the fender? Just curious because I haven't been able to get a set that works.
Yea I had that issue with the Roush on the driver side which made the hood sit slightly lower but really not too noticable unless u run your hand over so I plan to leave it alone. Not sure what would really fix it.
Sponsored

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I'm resurrecting this thread since im in the market for struts. In doing some research, the Ford Performance struts have the worst reviews. Lots of complains about twisting, fitment, and hood bending. A lot of people recommend the redlines but they have some poor reviews as well. Mainly about being too stiff and some hood flexing.

I'm curious if anyone here has the Steeda versions.

These are big aluminum hoods and I cant imagine stiff struts and flexion are good things in long term. If that's the case, Id rather use the prop rod than deal with any long term issues.

TallyMach1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
'20 Grand Cherokee Limited X, '22 Mach 1 HP
I had FP struts on my 17 EB and no problems, thought they worked great. FP struts on my 22 M1 and I didn't like them. The fender mounts wouldn't torque so they would twist. No issues with lifting the hood though.

I now have the Roush struts. The install is a little more involved, but I was able to do it by myself and my hood closes like it should. The FP struts are slightly longer than the Roush, so I used the FP struts with my Roush mounts. No problems so far, but I might switch to the Roush struts just to see if they are any different with raising or holding the hood.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I have the Roush and they work very well. In the past I have always purchased Redline but went off another review to try the Roush.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Every product will have a negative review at some point so I wouldn’t sweat negative reviews as long as there’s not a ton. If something has below say 4.5 stars out of 5, I will generally shy away depending on what the product is and what the issues are.

I generally look for common issues, the one offs are usually just that. I had the FP struts on my 2016, zero issues. I’ve had the Redline on my 2022 for about 15 months now, zero issues thus far. Heard good things about the Roush as well. The FP struts are probably the most lacking in hood support (the brackets are small) but that’s the only negative I had on them. And they held the hood just fine.

Sponsored

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Every product will have a negative review at some point so I wouldn’t sweat negative reviews as long as there’s not a ton. If something has below say 4.5 stars out of 5, I will generally shy away depending on what the product is and what the issues are.

I generally look for common issues, the one offs are usually just that. I had the FP struts on my 2016, zero issues. I’ve had the Redline on my 2022 for about 15 months now, zero issues thus far. Heard good things about the Roush as well. The FP struts are probably the most lacking in hood support (the brackets are small) but that’s the only negative I had on them. And they held the hood just fine.
Yep. Like I said, i did some research and all the complaints about the Ford struts are virtually the same, and there are a lot on American Muscle.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yep. Like I said, i did some research and all the complaints about the Ford struts are virtually the same, and there are a lot on American Muscle.
I have seen people with issues with the FP brackets so I’m not surprised about the negative reviews. I don’t have experience with the Steeda struts so I can’t say anything one way or the other on those. For my money, can’t go wrong with Redline or Roush.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red

This about the best advice one can give when shopping online. You have to filter out the people that have no idea what they're doing and the people that just like to bitch because they have an audience. I was wary of the Ford Performance units because of the frequency of the same problems coming up. Because of that, I went with the Redline units and I can say that I don't have any of the problems mentioned. They work exactly as I would have expected an OEM hood strut to work if the car had come equipped. They also reduce hood flutter at speed and the look the second least cheesy with the FP units coming in above them in my opinion.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
This about the best advice one can give when shopping online. You have to filter out the people that have no idea what they're doing and the people that just like to bitch because they have an audience. I was wary of the Ford Performance units because of the frequency of the same problems coming up. Because of that, I went with the Redline units and I can say that I don't have any of the problems mentioned. They work exactly as I would have expected an OEM hood strut to work if the car had come equipped. They also reduce hood flutter at speed and the look the second least cheesy with the FP units coming in above them in my opinion.
If want to replace the hood strut logos on the Redlines, this is an option. They’re pretty pricey though. Only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger yet

https://www.bemarofilms.com/product-page/hood-strut-overlays-for-redline-ford-performance-kit

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
If want to replace the hood strut logos on the Redlines, this is an option. They’re pretty pricey though. Only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger yet

https://www.bemarofilms.com/product-page/hood-strut-overlays-for-redline-ford-performance-kit
I think you could also just peel the redline sticker off and have a nice, black strut but I didn't think about that until it was already on and it isn't a big enough deal to make me get off my ass and go do it.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I think you could also just peel the redline sticker off and have a nice, black strut but I didn't think about that until it was already on and it isn't a big enough deal to make me get off my ass and go do it.
Ha! Yep very true. I left mine on as well. I may end up doing the Bemaro decals and color match them but I still can’t get myself to pay almost as much on decals as I did the struts.

Boyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boyd
Vehicle(s)
17 F5 Cobra, 93 Fox race car, 21 Mach 1, 23 F150
Redlines on my '21. No issues except made the hole in the battery cover larger to ease removal and installation. No flex, easy to open n close.

Removed the Redline stickers.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Another vote for the Roush. Love the mounts, very sturdy both on the hood side as well as the fender. Multiple mount bolts on both. I have been very pleased so far.
Sponsored