Sponsored

Benefit to square wheel setup vs staggered?

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
but 305/35/20 will not fit as it's too tall
That's the part that worries me. I want/need to keep a 27+" wheel/tire for ground clearance reasons. The 305/30x20 is a tad smaller in diameter than the 275/40x19 but over an inch wider.

Good luck and let us know.
Sponsored

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Staggered 10/11 here. I have no issues with anything and it’s my daily driver. The rears wear more evenly than the front. Not rotating them got me 32k miles out of the front tires and 39k out of the rear. I should’ve swapped tires side to side but didn’t notice the very inside wear on the tread. Middle to outside looked 50% or more. I’ll just pay attention to the front a little more and swap them side to side at some point.

MarquanTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marquan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
That's the part that worries me. I want/need to keep a 27+" wheel/tire for ground clearance reasons. The 305/30x20 is a tad smaller in diameter than the 275/40x19 but over an inch wider.

Good luck and let us know.
My plans are currently on hold as the post office lost my extended studs and spacers from Opmustang |:

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
In my experience, the key to minimizing tramlining is to keep the front offset to 35mm. If you try to run 11 wide 50et wheels and then use a 25mm (1in) spacer, you end up with 25mm ET (offset) and the the cars tramline from to much scrub radius.

I used the Eibach 15mm spacers with 19x11 et50 rims (net 35mm ET) and then added camber bolts to adjust the strut clearance and camber plates to set the final camber and the tramlining was DRASTICALLY reduced compared to using 25mm spacers.

My .02

PS, the PP2 front spindles, move the strut back slightly and give you more strut clearance compared to the normal GT spindles.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
In my experience, the key to minimizing tramlining is to keep the front offset to 35mm. If you try to run 11 wide 50et wheels and then use a 25mm (1in) spacer, you end up with 25mm ET (offset) and the the cars tramline from to much scrub radius.

I used the Eibach 15mm spacers with 19x11 et50 rims (net 35mm ET) and then added camber bolts to adjust the strut clearance and camber plates to set the final camber and the tramlining was DRASTICALLY reduced compared to using 25mm spacers.

My .02

PS, the PP2 front spindles, move the strut back slightly and give you more strut clearance compared to the normal GT spindles.
Interesting about the spindles. About how much extra clearance do you figure they buy you?

Sponsored

MarquanTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marquan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1

My .02

Hey, so my Velgen V2’s are 52ET so I should be using a 17MM spacer to avoid tram lining?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, so my Velgen V2’s are 52ET so I should be using a 17MM spacer to avoid tram lining?
You aren't likely to find 17. But 19 or 20 are common and close enough

MarquanTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marquan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1

Partock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Reading through this thread it's apparent that ya'll know more about this than I do. I just ordered new 20in wheel and tire package for my 2016 GT Convertible. Tires are 255 35/R20. I didn't think about spacers or anything. Am I about to have buyers remorse?

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Probably not. Need more details to be sure. Like wheel width and offset. Or you can install and evaluate.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Reading through this thread it's apparent that ya'll know more about this than I do. I just ordered new 20in wheel and tire package for my 2016 GT Convertible. Tires are 255 35/R20. I didn't think about spacers or anything. Am I about to have buyers remorse?
In the grand scheme of things, there just wheels. Much like exhausts, I've gone through about 4 sets of each.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Without any actual info, no one can tell you. I'm sure a lot of us would've either recommended a 10" (285)/11"(305) staggered setup or at least 10"(285) square. Maximize the rubber on the road. But what's done is done.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I currently believe having as wide a tire as possible both front and rear offers a substantial performance benefit in the form of grip and handling. I'm a 46 yr old newb mustang owner, so I may be entirely wrong. I don't like the sunken look of the front wheels. I want to upgrade them to something that has enough of an offset to eliminate the need for spacers. While I'm at it, I'm thinking I should entertain the possibility of a square setup so that I can rotate all four corners and have more performance at the same time. Is my logic flawed? Should I stick with the factory staggered setup? If I'm lucky, I'll get to the track at least once in my lifetime. Otherwise, I'm limited to spirited backroad driving.
I have a 2021 GT performance pack.
squared => you can rotate tires => your car maintains equal grip front vs rear => it is predictably controllable in performance driving situations during tire lifespan.

for staggered you have to replace tires way more frequently to achieve the same. if you do not replace them frequently your car will be changing balance from around neutral\understeer handling when tires are nearly new to heavy\snap oversteer by the end of rear tire life (fronts will have around 50% life left by then).

if you never drive like your tires loose traction in turns, then you probably do not care.
Sponsored